Cheapish automatic

PAULW

RMS Regular
I'm on the hunt for a cheapish used automatic for my wife to drive over the next few months whilst she recovers from an injury. Criteria:

• Decent amount of MOT
  • Safe (no smart cars)
  • Budget under £2500 but the cheaper the better
  • Something with resale potential and won't cost 000s to repair.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What's she currently used to driving ? Is it definitely only temporary ? Auto's are great for daily driving.

Seems there are plenty of used autos for sale. Big, small, 2 door, 4 door etc ? Petrol or diesel ?

Boksic

RMS Regular
Mrs drives an auto 2.7 derv A6.
I used to be anti auto but other than the fuel economy not being great on short runs, its class to drive with zero effort involved.
You'd get one around your budget too and well specced 👍🏼
If you're anywhere close to Ballymena area you can take hers a run if you want

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
I am currently driving a 2007 Audi 2.0 petrol Automatic - FSH, had cam sensor, timing belt, water pump, rear disks/pads/calipers replaced. Has 88k miles and MOT'd to March 2020, would sell for the right money...also have a 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.4 auto, 88k on it, EML has come on and need to check what the issue is..wife has had this car nearly 4 years and she has just got a Modus 1.6 auto, so she is looking to move the Ibiza

bill

Banned
Mate cheapest and automatic dont go together i have been looking for a while if you fancy a Merc theirs plenty out there anything decent is a manual. Plus make sure you ask is it a auto before doing a 100 miles round trip to find out its a manual.
If you can find a nice Toyota Auris auto i would buy that there not the worst auto. There a CVT and need to make sure that it has been serviced right.

PAULW

RMS Regular
OP
P
Thanks for the posts, it's only temporary for around 6 months, she has a honda cr-v which we got new a year or two ago. My thoughts being the cheaper it is, the less that can be lost on it but there's a line there where it becomes nothing but bother.

bill

Banned
@P2ULW That how i was looking at it at that price they have loads of miles may need new brakes all around timing belt/chain needs done and no service history from 70000 miles.
Its ok mate i have serviced it every 6 months. 2 miles down the road water pump blows a gasket. Your £2000 car turns into a £3500 one in a week.

will1588

RMS Regular
Drives
Merc Est 1.8
04 B6 AUDI AVANT 2.0FSI VERY smart TIDY USABLE AUTO 180K WITH DECENT PREVIOUS OWNER HISTORY.. LACOYA SILVER blueish tinge silver bought it for same reason as you 2 years past and loved it to bits , need bigger yoke now.. coleraine area.. well tyred folding tow hitch.. 1k ono needs nought

Dave..

RMS Regular
This is a warning: My mother has a 2010 Citroen C3 Auto and it is sh1te, has to be the worst auto I have ever driven. 4 gears and it hunts gears and takes forever to change. Avoid at all costs.

mboyle290

RMS Regular
Drives
'91 Corolla GTi
I've an 05 prius here. Recon hybrid full battery replacement with warranty.Just had all the brakes done and serviced. Won't get a more reliable car.

Dexter mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
Orion ghia, XR3i
£1750 no offers, 7 seater full advert on gumtree search Honda mobilio.
Screenshot_20191215-111106_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20191215-111141_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20191215-111145_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20191215-111114_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20191215-111104_eBay.jpg