Chris Evans confirmed as Top Gear presenter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Conor

RMS Regular
I hope it's as beautifully filmed as it used to be. When you watch the other car shows that are filmed on potatoes, the big budget productions of the Clarkson Top Gears really did look great.

I think that's an absolutely brilliant line up now. All three are huge petrolheads. It literally wouldn't have mattered who they got, the miserable twats such as the ones in this thread would have found fault with whomever it was. A bit beyond me how such final judgments can be made about how good a show will be despite having never been on before. :confounded:

MarkM

RMS Regular
miserable twats? stop ****ing name calling
the yank will be more about selling the series to America imo

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Obviously he is there for the yank audience. So what? Yank audience = bigger budget = bigger production = better. Sounds good to me (y)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A bit beyond me how such final judgments can be made about how good a show will be despite having never been on before. :confounded:

Quite easy, any re-make has massive boots to fill....no different than many of the ***** film or tv show re-makes out there. Except the likes of Top Gear has an even bigger job.

As much as the 3 dummies were presenters I'm sure they also had huge input into the content of the show too so any new show has also lost that element too.

Really they should have let Top Gear die as using the same name there will always be those against it from the word go. Obviously BBC will hope the name alone will draw in viewers though

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Oh how times have changed. No one cared who the new presenter was on top gear during the 80s 90s as along they talked about cars.

Conor

RMS Regular
Really they should have let Top Gear die as using the same name there will always be those against it from the word go. Obviously BBC will hope the name alone will draw in viewers though

Are you honestly saying that because of a few keyboard warriors saying they don't like the presenters, whom they have never seen in this role before, and the chance that it might not be as big as it was (Which would still make it huge), the BBC should have just buried a multi-hundred-million £ franchise? Are you serious?

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Oh how times have changed. No one cared who the new presenter was on top gear during the 80s 90s as along they talked about cars.
Yes. For this reason I'll probably start watching again. By choosing Evans and LeBlanc, the BBC obviously still want to pitch it as an entertainment show but I don't think they'll attempt to turn it into the nonsense that Clarkson made it. I'd rather just listen to Chris Harris talking about cars because it would be about the cars and not just a prop used as an opportunity for talking about Porsche 'Coxters' and gearboxes made of cheese etc. etc. A car programme about cars will do me rightly.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I'd rather see Chris Harris get chased by bears than listen to his voice.

This will never be a programme about cars. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever.

Ever.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Did Top Gear not run for around 22 years with quite a turnover of presenters before being cancelled? I remember Noel Edmonds and even Angela Rippon being on it along with all manner of non-memorable hosts I think the Clarkson revamp has been with us about 12 years.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
I'd rather see Chris Harris get chased by bears than listen to his voice.

This will never be a programme about cars. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever.

Ever.
It's been a programme nominally about cars or with cars as a backdrop since the Clarkson revamp. People on various car fora don't discuss it because it's about home renovation. I haven't noticed any huge problem with Harris' voice. It's not like he's Marcus Bentley. Or someone from 'the province'.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I hope it's as beautifully filmed as it used to be. When you watch the other car shows that are filmed on potatoes, the big budget productions of the Clarkson Top Gears really did look great.

I think that's an absolutely brilliant line up now. All three are huge petrolheads. It literally wouldn't have mattered who they got, the miserable twats such as the ones in this thread would have found fault with whomever it was. A bit beyond me how such final judgments can be made about how good a show will be despite having never been on before. :confounded:

Did the production company not got with Clarkson etc? Or was that just the producer?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Did the show ever finish in the same fashion for the same reasons, with their golden presenters going elsewhere to do a new show ?

Circumstances arent even remotely like anything in the past.

And the Top Gear brand was Clarkson & Co whether BBC like it or not, but they are very well aware of that. It'll take something very special to keep people coming back.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
It's gonna be interesting to see what way this new show goes. I never would have predicted Matt Leblanc landing in as a presenter.....but I swear see if I hear Chris Harris describe something as 'uncouth'... Even just once!!!!:mad: Other than that I'm looking forward to seeing what's what.

simy

RMS Regular
Rumours about Eddie Jordan now. Erm. Maybe the willnotwatch brigade are right after all.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.