Chris Evans confirmed as Top Gear presenter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Between Chris Evans on Top Gear and now Nick Grimshaw on X Factor.... two shows I'll not be watching anymore as a result. I haven't listened to Radio 1 since Chris Moyles left and I can't stand Grimshaw.... can't listen to Radio 2 in the mornings either!!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Last time I watched 5th gear they were road testing some shopping car and were reviewing the stereo system by walking away from it until they couldn't hear it. Or something. I missed the rest as I'd headed off to the shed to find a rusty pair of garden shears to see about gouging out my eyes and ears so I would never have to see or hear such drivel again.*

Maybe I'm just not enough of a beard to appreciate the finer details of the newest Hyundai i10 or whatever but I just don't find it entertaining at all, and as such will turn it over to monster truck racing or The Simpsons or if SWMBO is present, Downton Abbey.

TG was around before Clarkson, but it was terrible. Really terrible. I don't remember it that way when I was 10 years old but looking back now I'm horrified. On my facebook feed someone shared a review of the Austin Metro back in 1990, where Quentin Wilson enjoyed it's abilities to rust from the inside out within a couple of years and compared it to the MK2 Fiesta and Vauxhall Nova (I think). After about 30 seconds I started thinking about those shears (and waxoyl).

As an entertainment show I thought TG was great. As a car show it's not really. But then, as above I'd rather cause myself bodily harm than listen to reviews of some or other hum drum hatch back and how many gloves you can fit in the glovebox. If I really want that sort of info I go to Google and just read about horror stories on the owners clubs.

I noticed the American show got a mention above. Actually I gave it a fair chance and watched all of the first season (back in the days when I had sky) and although at first thought it was awful, actually got into it near the end and rather enjoyed it :oops:

Regarding next steps for Clarkson, Hammond & Co - I'll be watching on Netflix or Amazon or wherever they go to and won't be taking the increasingly popular anti-establishment stance of saying "it's dung" or "haven't watched it in 10 years" (but still feel qualified to provide an opinion and/or contribute to threads like this). Fingers crossed the TG format with Evans doesn't change too much so I can watch that on BBC 2 as well. The second Evans decides he's going to do a road test in a Ford Focus Diesel will be the time I head off out to the shed again in search of hedge cutting implements.

*banter

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Pretty sure Hammond and May were discovered in an open audition type scenario so could well work out

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Fair points @Coog even some of the Chris Harris reviews can be dull!
At the end of the day if they have half decent presenters who are (or at least appear) enthusiastic itll be ok.
Hopefully it is half decent as car shows tend to be spectacularly s***e when theyre bad.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Fair points @Coog even some of the Chris Harris reviews can be dull!
At the end of the day if they have half decent presenters who are (or at least appear) enthusiastic itll be ok.
Hopefully it is half decent as car shows tend to be spectacularly s***e when theyre bad.

I don't get Chris Harris at all. Might have watched the wrong videos but my goodness he was dull in them. Perhaps more viewing is required though.

Roadkill is a great show. Two car nuts that like to tinker and go on stupid road trips. It's entertainment with a bit of beardiness thrown in for good measure and it's brilliant.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I don't get Chris Harris at all. Might have watched the wrong videos but my goodness he was dull in them. Perhaps more viewing is required though.

Roadkill is a great show. Two car nuts that like to tinker and go on stupid road trips. It's entertainment with a bit of beardiness thrown in for good measure and it's brilliant.

Hes a fairly good driver and has a genuinely ecclectic collection of cars, I think its that he sounds a tad monotone in the vids is the problem.

Never heard of roadkill, will have to have a look. One i really like is car sos, your man Fuzz was good when writing for Practical Classics magazine and the pair of them in the show actually know their stuff and do seem to do a real good job.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I've never had a problem with Chris Evans, always quite liked him in some of the shows he did (Big Breakfast and TFi Friday especially), so I don't mind him being the new TG guy. At least he's genuinely passionate about cars and they haven't just dropped in some flavour-of-the-month presenter who might be popular but know nothing about cars.

I don't think the show will be anything like before, they're going to have to give it a new format to make it work. But it's a win-win really - we'll now get a new TG show, and it's more than likely that Clarkson/Hammond/May will be snapped up by another channel or network and we'll get a second new show with them in it.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Who mentioned 5th Gear??? Pffft now that to me is the worst motoring show on tv. Cannot STAND Tiff Needells voice (actually makes me cringe), he's about as interesting a slipper and has the stage presence of a gnat!!! Everything he says just sounds.... awkward???

Ok maybe Top Gear overdid it with the challenges and could have reviewed more hot hatches etc that are more within the price range of the average Joe but at least it was still watchable. I'm still undecided on Chris Evans, will reserve judgement until I've seen the first episode. I have Netflix anyway so will definitely be following the new show when it airs (provided they strike up a deal with Netflix) (y)

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Think it was confirmed that at least one co-presenter will be female.

Not to be sexist but... that's not going to be much crack. Nothing to do with not being good at driving, reviewing or presenting, but blokes tend to engage a level of self-control around women..... lack of which was the key to TG's success imo

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
"Oh Oh, I know who would be really good at it as he knows his cars and is a bit like May but in a different way (that makes no sense but I know what I mean) James Martin, that bloke who does Saturday Kitchen"

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ha! I met him a couple of weeks back. He's a really nice chap and a proper petrol head too

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
He writes a motoring column for one of the Sunday papers does he not?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
He tweeted this today (not that I follow him, I follow Cal Crutchlow MotGP rider):

Have to say I like bikes and only sold my Suzuki in January so it won't bother me. I know many see Top Gear as a car show though.

As for James Martin I watched a show with him doing the Mille Miglia (sp?) a while ago, seemed to know his stuff and wouldn't be the worst choice.

Last edited:

stevyg

RMS Regular
I've always liked Top Gear, you know what you get when you watch it, pure entertainment that involves something sometimes car related. Thats about as deep as I go with it, it is what it is. If I want to know the facts about a car I'll look it up online or go to a dealership & take one for a test drive, if I want to watch a pure formal review, I'll cringe a little & watch 5th gear, if I want to know how many exploding caravans a Volvo can jump over, I'll grab the popcorn & watch TG. Apples & Oranges really.

I'm glad TG is continuing with Evans, it should be good but I'm keeping my expectations low so I'm not disappointed. I know he's a huge petrolhead & TG fan so has a lot of pressure on his shoulders to make it better than it was & I really wish him all the best, I'll give it a watch to find out how he does. They have the budget & production team to make it even better. I hope its different and its own new thing but I still hope its massively entertaining.

Clarkson Hammond & May will continue the madness and people like me will continue to watch for the shear entertainment value, they built a brand that has been the most watched TV show in the world for years so whatever is next will still be huge I imagine.

99%+ of whats on TV is absolute feces so I hope good clean entertaining motoring shows even non-car people of all ages can enjoy long continues.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I have a healthy respect for bikes, but Top Gear is a car show & should remain as such IMO.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I have a healthy respect for bikes, but Top Gear is a car show & should remain as such IMO.

I personally alway considered Top Gear a motoring show, but due to Clarksons dislike of bikes neglected this potential audience.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Eh...... Since when did Jeremy clarkson/top gear become the best thing since sliced bread? Last I heard the good folk of RMS were slating it for being predictable, with stupid challenges, some branding it as unwatchable.... 'I haven't watched it in years' etc.

Now Chris Evans is on the cards and you all want to watch clarkson and co. Anyway...... I think it needed a refresh, and I like the idea of Chris Evans, he will be able to make it entertaining enough for your other half, and know enough about the cars to keep you watching... And that's all the bbc care about!

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I personally would have perferred mr partridge, but I think evans is equally a great choice.

I wonder if jamiroquai was in the running? Serious petrol head right there but aparantly a complete cock but then again, so was clarkson.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.