Chris Harris & Jonny Smith.......The Late Brake Show Part 1

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Class, got a good flavour of his early career with the collecting cars podcast when he had Chris Goodwin on it. I think hes one of the least pretentious TV presenters out there, a genuine car nut too. Love the way he drives some old barges for family duties and the 205 rallye and XS fetish is cool.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Chris Harris and Henry Catchpole are the 2 best car journalists imo, I've always had a lot of time for their reviews. Both are very talented drivers and talented presenters.

Jonny Smith is pretty good too!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just got round to watching this, love this! Big Chris Harris fan anyways, but this was a great chat with him

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Looking forward to part 2. Definitely a normal guy and finally someone on tv who doesn’t enjoy the limelight or attention. Proper petrolhead

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
They are 2 of my favourite motoring journalists. Breath of fresh air to have interesting cars talked about rather than the latest super car too!

Old French and German tat is the best!

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
They are 2 of my favourite motoring journalists. Breath of fresh air to have interesting cars talked about rather than the latest super car too!

Old French and German tat is the best!
Funny listening to Chris saying just that about the latest Ferrari, he said on TG it was just too fast and irrelevant really.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Collecting cars is ok but talks to a number of people I have never heard of - maybe just me but they arent bad. Quite like the Car Throttle podcasts, just lads talking crap about cars

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Sniff and smith is a great laugh and our own home brewed Reload podcast is great also.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I never really liked Jonny Smith for some reason but throughly enjoyed both of those. You know Harris is a proper petrol head but also seems well grounded (you could tell that from his YouTube videos) but it's nice to see him away from the heavily scripted top gear scenes/stints

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I never really liked Jonny Smith for some reason but throughly enjoyed both of those. You know Harris is a proper petrol head but also seems well grounded (you could tell that from his YouTube videos) but it's nice to see him away from the heavily scripted top gear scenes/stints

Well said, I was fully engrossed & astonished when he opened up about the mental health implications from trying to carry TG on. That was so pure & raw I felt like crying for him.
The E34 estate with M5 conversion for the family that was the same money as the leather & wheels extras on the RS6 he wanted is the exact logic we all live by. 205 Rallyes. Dogs chewing the hand break because life is for living.
Hero.

Jonny Smith is a bit odd which CH points out. Jonny could have made up a stage name surely, his name sounds like one you’d give the cops when underage drinking in the park.
His passion for dissolved Britsh car manufacturers doesn’t float my boat but I do appreciate his enthusiasm.

Off on a tangent here but where did Tom Ford go? He had such a fun way of delivering a car’s character

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've always liked Harris' stuff, properly enthusiastic about cars but not because they are mega expensive or have the biggest top speeds or lowest 0-60 either. The challenge of taking on the TG franchise after the 3 ****wits was huge but I think hes found a reasonable niche. He seems to have found a proper mate with Matt Leblanc too which showed in some of what they did on the programmes and probably helped him through the abuse he was getting.

Jonny Smith is a bit of an acquired taste. I love some of the stuff he has done like digging out old cars from hedges and lock ups. Not so keen on other stuff but overall he seems fairly sound and also not up his own hole.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I think Jonny Smith seems like an all round dead on guy. I liked his stuff in early fifth gear, and the Sniff and Smith podcast is fantastic.

The love for interesting old cars is great to see too, he even makes EV stuff pretty interesting.

Chris Harris is Chris Harris and always good at what he does.

Watching those videos really made me want to get my 205 rallye sorted, its only been 9 years since being on the road. Wish I could afford to bring another one in from France as a parts car too 😂

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Stumbled across another good recent interview with Chris. He mentioned in it about possibly starting his YouTube series back up again, hopefully he follows through with it.

Another brilliant interview.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Collecting Cars podcast is superb, some great interviews on it with some very influential people. Got me through last lockdown.