Chris Harris set to join New New Top Gear

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
On the RMS Blog: Youtube motoring sensation and motoring journalist Chris Harris is set to joint he cast of Chris Evans' new Top Gear outing, according to an article published today in the Sun.

We regularly feature Harris' excellent videos on RMS, and he was seen in a feature with Tiff Needell on Discovery's 5th Gear last year, however it seems the ex-Evo writer may have hit the big leagues if the story proves true.

Along with Ginger and Monkey we can apparently expect to see Sabine Schmitz of Nürburgring transit fame, and Formula 1 pundit and ex-driver David Coulthard on our screens.

It will be well into 2016 before we find out exactly who will be in their new BBC TV motoring jobs, however if this is the new lineup they will have a long way to match the chemistry of Clarkson, Hammond and May. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That's good news IMO, i think Chris is a fantastic journalist - looking forward to it! When is it scheduled to be aired?

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
I think that'll make for quite a good line up. Top Gear may well end up a real motoring show again without the BS. Don't get me wrong, clarkson & co were and will be great to watch but I'd expect this to be every bit as good for different reasons!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I like the direction they're going.

Trying to have another 3 presenters with the same kind of chemistry as the original trio will never work, that was a naturally occurring thing and can't be replicated. And even if it could be, it would invoke too many comparisons to the original.

Seems they're going for a different approach this time in terms of the personalities involved.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Depends what you're looking for in a review tbh, it's all very subjective. I wasn't a massive TG fan as I found some of the more farcical slapstick stuff OTT and distracting. I quite like how Harris is very knowledgeable about the mechanics and science behind some of the cars he reviews, but is also happy to act a loon and drift all day long. He's a fairly capable driver too.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
'Personality' is not a quality I would associate with Chris Harris. Factually decent journalist no doubt but I do find him a little tedious. Perhaps I'm not enough of a car beard to get him though.

I doubt the BBC will allow him to keep his "matter of fact" presentation style much loved by his bearded and non-bearded fans. It's an entertainment show - look at the difference between Top Gear of Old and Top Gear last Spring - it's like comparing, say .......Chris Harris style factual presenting with dry humour against some escaped lunatics from Clown prison who want to misinform the whole world.........

Anyway - Good luck Mr Harris, as it's Top Gear, I'll tune in for a look-see

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
I can't stand Evens, although I like that he's a proper car nut his personality just doesn't do it for me, it's like he's always trying too hard. Harris left to his own devices would get boring quite quickly because whilst being quite capable of acting the t!t when he wants, he generally doesn't bother the whole light comedy thing. It'll be interesting to watch the two compound, It'll be a matter of striking a balance between nerdy beardy stuff to keep the petrolheads happy and light entertainment for the uninterested masses. Personally I think top gear was catering for the latter too much in recent years.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Harris will probably play the straight man to Evan's over-exuberant car nut. If you've seen Harris' P1/918/Laferrari video, it was quite interesting watching him interacting with Franchitti and Needell rather than having all the dialogue to himself.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Harris will probably play the straight man to Evan's over-exuberant car nut. If you've seen Harris' P1/918/Laferrari video, it was quite interesting watching him interacting with Franchitti and Needell rather than having all the dialogue to himself.
Agreed, the glaring omission of most of Harris' videos versus the likes of Top Gear (bar the BBC budgets) is the lack of anyone else on screen apart from him, so we can't really comment too much there. My concern likes more with Schmitz (doesn't say very much) or DC, where he may open his mouth and Zzzzz will appear. Or they might be absolutely great. Evans still has a great opportunity here to bring it all together as he has the talent on screen and behind the scenes to make stuff happen - be it Car Fest to TFI Friday reboots!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I'll be gutted to see Chris Harris on it tbh.

For me, an avid lover of his videos, I think he is perfect for the likes of ///DRIVE etc, where he gets to say what he wants, no BBC rules and regulations holding him back and no commercial interests to ensure he says the right thing. I hope the BBC doesn't remove all that is actually good about Chris Harris.

On the plus side, even with Coulthard, that's a pretty epic line up to create a genuine enthusiasts show. I doubt it will ever reach the masses from an entertainment perspective compared to the Clarkson, Hammond and May team, and with that I hope they can find the right recipe to keep it on our screens for as long as previous incarnations, but as we've known for a long time, Top Gear wasn't about the cars, just the three idiots entertaining the masses.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I think the "chemistry" between Clarkson et al had got a bit predictable and boring by the end so it will be nice for a change. I don't think the new line up will hit the heights of the viewing figures for the 3 amigos but it will be good not knowing exactly what the script will deliver.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I'll be gutted to see Chris Harris on it tbh.

For me, an avid lover of his videos, I think he is perfect for the likes of ///DRIVE etc, where he gets to say what he wants, no BBC rules and regulations holding him back and no commercial interests to ensure he says the right thing. I hope the BBC doesn't remove all that is actually good about Chris Harris.

On the plus side, even with Coulthard, that's a pretty epic line up to create a genuine enthusiasts show. I doubt it will ever reach the masses from an entertainment perspective compared to the Clarkson, Hammond and May team, and with that I hope they can find the right recipe to keep it on our screens for as long as previous incarnations, but as we've known for a long time, Top Gear wasn't about the cars, just the three idiots entertaining the masses.
You should read And On That Bombshell. The BBC played very little in the rounding of the show - think what the 3 stooges got away with over the years. They made several references to the Beeb's red tape yet in reality it had little effect.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I think it's a great line up TBH.

Sabine is great craic and man can she drink !!! :p
If you watch previous shows were she has featured she comes across well on camera and most importantly she is relaxed.
Harris was without question the natural and expected choice but I'd nearly bet money on it he will try a little too hard and the beginning before settling into the role.
DC also is a lovely chap, very down to earth and certainly will throw a bit of weight behind the line up.
Honestly, the one I'd worry about most is Evans. He, like the others might be a nice person but I've tried to watch TFI Friday a few times now since its relaunch and I can't stick anymore than a few minutes. It's just pure cringe.

More so than the presenters, I think the more pressing concerns will be on the production side. They will be like a rabbit caught in the headlights for a while without the previous King pins and have enormous pressure. Highlighted by Lisa Clark & Tom Ford jumping ship.

However, what you I or indeed anyone on a motoring forum think is largely irrelevant really as in order for it to be a success it must appeal to everyone and that will be the biggest challenge of all.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Really looking forward to seeing Chris Harris on it but at the same time disappointed that his YouTube channel will be no more!

Interesting that the 3 of the presenters can actually steer not just big showy power slides as good as that is to see. Can't see New Top Gear having the same direction as Old Top Gear but when they actually get to race each other etc it will make for good TV. I'm especially looking forward to having the best of both worlds, an hour of proper car journalism coupled with an hour of loosely based car journalism. What a time to be alive!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.