Chris Harris set to join New New Top Gear

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Might actually be worth tuning into now with Harris and Schmidt!

She seems like quite a bubbly character and might end up being more of a lad than the Chris's!

It's good to see that they're not trying to replace or replicate the chemistry of the previous three as others have said.

It's still clearly not going to get even close to half the audience figures it once commanded though!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
That's actually a line-up that made me take notice, I'm looking forward to this now.

For some, no matter what new Top Gear becomes, they'll never watch it because they want to see cobbled together heaps doing challenges and exploding caravans.

I'd rather watch a car programme, not last of the summer top gear.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Thank God they haven't recruited this guy.

Talk about boring

Have you ever read any of Catchpoles stuff in Evo? He's one of their best writers. Top Gear would do well to have him or some of the other evo writers in front or perhaps more importantly behind the camera.

It doesn't look like Richard Porter is involved in either TG or the Amazon project which perhaps is a shame.

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
If you want boring, check our Dan Prosser's Evo videos. I think Henry Catchpole's reviews are generally very good. He is far from the worst of the Evo bunch.

Cro

RMS Regular
Can't stand Catchpole I can hear his mouth making weird noises when he voices over and it makes me cringe.

Could watch Harris all day, not sure what the dynamic will be like in a group if he's not getting to 'properly review' cars like he does usually. Weird how come people really like him and some can't stand him, but then people said that about may, clarkson and hammond so I'm sure it'll be down to the format rather than them

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
People are forgetting Evans is a television behemoth. He didn't make his money juggling beer bottles on a Friday night or playing songs in the morning. He's produced some very, very successful shows. He has a great business head on him and his a car nut to boot.

If anyone can stop it turning into the new Fifth Gear, it'll be him.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Have you ever read any of Catchpoles stuff in Evo? He's one of their best writers. Top Gear would do well to have him or some of the other evo writers in front or perhaps more importantly behind the camera.

It doesn't look like Richard Porter is involved in either TG or the Amazon project which perhaps is a shame.

Nope, not aware that I have anyway. Not a fan of spending money on magazines or subscriptions.

I have no doubt he writes great, there is nothing wrong with what he is saying, I just find him incredibly boring, in the same way that as much as Quentin Wilson is a veritable mine of information regarding classics, I wouldn't feel bad cutting his throat, slimey horrible creepy salesman is all I see.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Along with Ginger and Monkey we can apparently expect to see Sabine Schmitz of Nürburgring transit fame, and Formula 1 pundit and ex-driver David Coulthard on our screens.

Not a bad line-up actually. Main problem in it is personality I think. Chris Harris, what little I have seen of him, he has about as much of that as a bag of cotton wool. And as for David, as genuinely nice as he is, personality he does not have!

Then again, Sabine actually has, and Ginger certainly does.

Could see them doing a "gadget show" style split, with Sabine and Ginger doing the whacky stuff, and Chris H/David doing the "serious" reviews at Dunsfold. And then the odd feature special with all of them. Might actually work (y)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
More so than the presenters, I think the more pressing concerns will be on the production side. They will be like a rabbit caught in the headlights for a while without the previous King pins and have enormous pressure. Highlighted by Lisa Clark & Tom Ford jumping ship.

I think if there is anything Chris E has proven, it is that he knows exactly how to produce big shows. I have faith :grinning:

But yes, huge shoes to fit. I still watch the endless re-runs on Dave and BBC3, and the production value of the later stuff, and especially the big specials (North Pole, Africa x 2, America x N, umpteen epic European trips, Vietnam, Middle East, India, ...), is immense. Still great even after seeing them a million times.

Compared to something low rent like fifth gear (back on 5...), no contest!

But then once in a while they show some of the early work. Perhaps not so great, lol. I reckon it took them a good couple of years to find their feet, and then to build the format.

Doubt the "new" show will get that long, so a big challenge for them. Best of luck! (y)

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Can't stand Catchpole I can hear his mouth making weird noises when he voices over and it makes me cringe.

Could watch Harris all day, not sure what the dynamic will be like in a group if he's not getting to 'properly review' cars like he does usually. Weird how come people really like him and some can't stand him, but then people said that about may, clarkson and hammond so I'm sure it'll be down to the format rather than them

I don't like Harris because he speaks like an article should be written (if that makes sense lol) Obviously he can drive, but I just find his presentations boring.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I like Chris. His videos are always either very exciting or interesting.

Can imagine Top Gear wanting the exciting version more so than the interesting.

Don't think, when re-launching TG, the producers could over look him as he is the guy when it comes to new car reviews online like him or not.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 17.08.27.png

So Sabine Schmitz is the third presenter? Chris Evans Has Been 'Suffering From Car Sickness' While Filming Top Gear - helloU

Evans, Harris & Schmitz is going to be painful to watch - 2 people with no personality and 1 with an irritating one

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Sabine & Harris have a great personality IMO I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with now anyway.

We've went from one huge program and how have two so it's all good :grinning:

Storm

Banned
IMO hiring Evans was a huge mistake, he might be a car nut but if he can't drive whilst talking to camera or even sit in the passenger seat for a few hot laps, he has no place on the show.

The beeb need to get him replaced as quickly as possible, Schmitz, Harris and Coulthard are all perfect choices but the ginger one needs to go because if it keeps going like this, he will be the final nail in the Flop Gear coffin.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Coulthard?!

Very much looking forward to this now, it's been years since I've been able to enjoy Top Gear. I'm not particularly enthused about the idea of Sabine, but 1 annoying presenter is better than 2 dreadful ones in the old set up.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
IMO hiring Evans was a huge mistake, he might be a car nut but if he can't drive whilst talking to camera or even sit in the passenger seat for a few hot laps, he has no place on the show.

The beeb need to get him replaced as quickly as possible, Schmitz, Harris and Coulthard are all perfect choices but the ginger one needs to go because if it keeps going like this, he will be the final nail in the Flop Gear coffin.

I reckon we'll need to wait until the show is aired before making any minds up about it. Both stories of being 'unable to drive whilst talking' and being sick on track have most likely been blown out of proportion by the media. For all we know he was up all night spending his money on coke and hookers in Monterey, pulled over for a wee boke and got snapped by some d*ckhead paparazzi.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.