Citroen C3 - No power whatsoever

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Mother in law's old car a Citroen C3 has lay for about a year and the FIL tried to start it today.
New battery, no lights on the dash whatsoever.
Tried the jump leads on in case it was a dud battery..... Nothing.

Checked all fuses including the maxi fuses under the engine fuse box. All good.
Shunt fuse seems fine.

Absolutely nothing in terms of any electrical activity.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anton

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Battery earth cable making connection to car okay?

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
Hi @Antoin PM me a reg/VIN across and I’ll check on the Citroen systems for any known issues & ask the technicians in the morning.

From memory if the BSI/ECU is dead it would display those symptoms - but I’ll double check that with a few technicians in the morning 👍🏼

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Hi @Antoin PM me a reg/VIN across and I’ll check on the Citroen systems for any known issues & ask the technicians in the morning.

From memory if the BSI/ECU is dead it would display those symptoms - but I’ll double check that with a few technicians in the morning 👍🏼

Thanks Jamie. Il speak to the FIL tomorrow to get reg and vin (y)

Edit; I see you are Coleraine so assume you are out of Hallidays? That's where the car came out of many years ago if that helps. Would have had work done in the past out there as well.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
They have a fuse box beside the battery, this tends to fill with water as it’s sealed at the bottom and the water has nowhere to escape. It can cause the earth strap which is held on by a 13mm nut to corrode and lose contact. Check this first by undoing the earth and wiggle it about to see a spark. If that doesn’t work then unclip the fuse box and you will see maxi fuses underneath. I think there is around 5/6 of them and check to see if any have blown due to water. If that doesn’t work and assuming you’ve checked all fuses in the 3 compartments then take a look at the bsi as they are troublesome at the best of times on these cars but hopefully it’s something simple 👍

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
They have a fuse box beside the battery, this tends to fill with water as it’s sealed at the bottom and the water has nowhere to escape. It can cause the earth strap which is held on by a 13mm nut to corrode and lose contact. Check this first by undoing the earth and wiggle it about to see a spark. If that doesn’t work then unclip the fuse box and you will see maxi fuses underneath. I think there is around 5/6 of them and check to see if any have blown due to water. If that doesn’t work and assuming you’ve checked all fuses in the 3 compartments then take a look at the bsi as they are troublesome at the best of times on these cars but hopefully it’s something simple 👍

Thanks Nicky.
Had the engine fusebox out, checked all maxis and they were fine. Minimal if any corrosion visible. Earth strap at fuse box end is fine.

Is there another fuse box underneath the battery?

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Thanks Nicky.
Had the engine fusebox out, checked all maxis and they were fine. Minimal if any corrosion visible. Earth strap at fuse box end is fine.

Is there another fuse box underneath the battery?
Only the one Antoin I think
Out of interest where is the car?

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Yeah no worries where abouts in the country just if it’s not too far Ile nip over

Cheers Nicky but the car is in Coleraine/ Portstewart. A fair trek from Lisburn!
It isn't essential its fixed any time soon so never worry and thank you for the offer
I will keep digging myself but its pointing to the BSI being dead at this stage.

How this ever becomes an issue I havent the foggiest? It seems to be a fairly common occurence from reading the C3 owners forum. BSI just decides to die rendering the car obsolete!

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Cheers Nicky but the car is in Coleraine/ Portstewart. A fair trek from Lisburn!
It isn't essential its fixed any time soon so never worry and thank you for the offer
I will keep digging myself but its pointing to the BSI being dead at this stage.

How this ever becomes an issue I havent the foggiest? It seems to be a fairly common occurence from reading the C3 owners forum. BSI just decides to die rendering the car obsolete!
I have a 207 with the same issue bud gonna have to get an Ecu kit as they are coded, a scrappy told me that they are just plug and play if you get the code right but I’m not certain that’s the case🤣 id be surprised. Yeah no worries that’s bit of a trek Tbf but if you can get me the code off the bsi out of interest as I’ve a c2 and 207 there and would be interesting if the bsi work without coding

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
I have a 207 with the same issue bud gonna have to get an Ecu kit as they are coded, a scrappy told me that they are just plug and play if you get the code right but I’m not certain that’s the case🤣 id be surprised. Yeah no worries that’s bit of a trek Tbf but if you can get me the code off the bsi out of interest as I’ve a c2 and 207 there and would be interesting if the bsi work without coding

Right i will try and get the vin/reg and bsi code sometime this weekend.
Perhaps between yourself, @JamieG95 and myself we can get it figured out.

I still cant get over how they just die from inactivity.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Right i will try and get the vin/reg and bsi code sometime this weekend.
Perhaps between yourself, @JamieG95 and myself we can get it figured out.

I still cant get over how they just die from inactivity.
Yeah do bud, the bsi code is at the bottom I think not sure if you need to take it out or not lol bit of stripping glovebox etc to get them out

Alexmck

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf

give me a ring at start of week and il take a quick look if im down that way 07533110007