Cleaning a galvanised car transporter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
As title says what the best product to use to clean a galvanised car transporter. I bought one new last summer an its bogging now already. I tried to hit it with a power hose but it wasn't much good :worried:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I used nitromors to clean the drawbar up on my trailer!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Nitromors can make the galv go dark is the only issue there. Doubt it will go as dark as road grime that has eaten in though

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I always just used TFR and then powerwashed it, came up like new.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
* thread revival following a search

Any update on this? I bought myself a 10ft Ifor Williams at the weekend which has seen better days. Currently getting a few things tidied up on it, but I need to give it a good clean in the first instance. Was thinking TFR and a power wash? Not looking the thing detailed, just cleaned up enough so i can do a bit of work at it and paint a few of the non-galvanised bits.

What works, what doesn't, and what wrecks the galvanizing?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
* thread revival following a search

Any update on this? I bought myself a 10ft Ifor Williams at the weekend which has seen better days. Currently getting a few things tidied up on it, but I need to give it a good clean in the first instance. Was thinking TFR and a power wash? Not looking the thing detailed, just cleaned up enough so i can do a bit of work at it and paint a few of the non-galvanised bits.

What works, what doesn't, and what wrecks the galvanizing?
Whatever you use make sure it is non caustic as caustics will destroy galvanised finishes. Most TFR's have caustic in them.

I'd recommend using a good degreaser but follow the instructions.

Wetting the trailer first helps as it means that chemical is not coming in contact with bare metal.

Don't allow chemicals to dry on the galv either.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Whatever you use make sure it is non caustic as caustics will destroy galvanised finishes. Most TFR's have caustic in them.

I'd recommend using a good degreaser but follow the instructions.

Wetting the trailer first helps as it means that chemical is not coming in contact with bare metal.

Don't allow chemicals to dry on the galv either.
Typically enough I went home and hit it with Halfords finest TFR :laughing:

To be honest the trailer isn't in fantastic nick - I think most of the galvanising has possibly had it's day as under the dirt and grime there is a bit of rust forming. I thinking of rubbing it down and hitting the chassis with something like hammerite direct to rust, or possibly bitumen paint which seems to stick to anything.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2

To be honest the trailer isn't in fantastic nick - I think most of the galvanising has possibly had it's day as under the dirt and grime there is a bit of rust forming. I thinking of rubbing it down and hitting the chassis with something like hammerite direct to rust, or possibly bitumen paint which seems to stick to anything.

POR15 , just dont get it on your hands

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
POR15 , just dont get it on your hands
Came across that online. Can you get it in decent sized tins? Enough to do a 10ft trailer? Kind of got the impression it was for touching up spots of rust rather than full painting jobs.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late

I ended up getting my trailer painted too...... surprisingly for me, in black

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
What did you use? You spray it or brush paint it with something like hammerite?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Came across that online. Can you get it in decent sized tins? Enough to do a 10ft trailer? Kind of got the impression it was for touching up spots of rust rather than full painting jobs.
Oh yes , I got a 5lt tin, unless your certain you will use it in one go I would just go with a number of small tins

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
What did you use? You spray it or brush paint it with something like hammerite?
Etch primer and then 2 pack paint

Found a coupe of pictures on the guy who painted its Facebook

IMG_1827.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG

Last edited:

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
That looks class, esp behind the RRS.

What kinda money did it cost you? Thinking it might be cheaper to go with POR15 brushed on

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Don't think it was desperately expensive... maybe a couple hundred quid. That was back in 2011/2012 maybe so can't quite remember.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.