Clio 197 engine noise (video inside)

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
Hi folks, any idea what this squealing noise could be? Only happens when its cold, happens whether its in gear or not, happens whether the clutch is depressed or not.

Initially thought it might have been the aux belt tensioner or Aircon pulley, but with the aux belt removed the noise is still there.

Clutch release bearing? Would this only happen if the clutch is depressed or let out?

The noise goes away when its warmed up, driving fine otherwise. Any ideas?

Buy a RenaultSport they said.....it’ll be fun they said. 😋

~~> Video of engine Noise <~~

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Has it had a timing belt recently? Sounds like an overly tight belt whining. Not a bearing noise in my opinion.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
It’s coming up for it’s belts soon buddy. Would that noise go away when warm though?
An overly tight belt would sound like that all the time I would have thought. As it changes with engine revs even with aux belt off and gearbox disengaged (clutch pressed) all its really pointing to is a timing belt or associated Idler pulleys in my mind going by the noise. Try and pinpoint it by listening with a screwdriver or metal bar as a stethoscope on the aluminium timing casings/rocker cover. Needless to say be careful if you have the aux belt back on you don’t get caught in it.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Another one to check, although very unlikely as I would also say a belt, would be your power steering fluid. Check the reservoir isnt low. Usually it makes a pretty distinct noise when that's low but maybe some cars sound different. Low fluid in the reservoir can make a whining noise.