Clio 197

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Picked this up in Liverpool last weekend. I’ve been researching these for years, signed up to the forums years ago etc but with a 3 year old and a 60 mile round trip every day I had to have a dirty diesel....but circumstances change, I now share a lift and my wife gets the bus to work, which frees up the VRS for days I have to go to Belfast.

So the boring monotonous Jetta was soon sent up the road and in its place is a ‘06, 60k miles ‘full fat‘ Clio 197 with the cup chassis, keyless entry & start, AC & cruise control......but Renault in their wisdom still took the jack from the boot when they added the cup pack ^o).

When I started enquiring about this I was really trying to talk myself out of it...but every question about common faults had an answer; the steering wheel is in good shape, no rust on the boot lid, belts done, new steering rack and most of the front suspension components changed, seat in good nick, new clutch and no synchro crunch from 2nd to 3rd.

Everything checked out and a blast through the Welsh b-roads was a good bedding in process. The handling is unreal, unlike anything I’ve sat in before.

This car has a few bits done by the previous owner; diffuser, mirrors etc all painted black, wheels, H&R springs, air filter, headunit with reversing camera, Renault sport splitter, lots of little bits that really help the car.

My plans are pretty simple, get a Jack, get a spare strapped into the boot, stick on an exhaust system to free up some pops and bangs, top engine mount replacement as its knackered, a sprintbooster to increase throttle response and a few of the minor things that help these cars like sealing the MAP sensor, cable tieing the gear linkages etc.

Its good to be back in a petrol again :innocent:

93DA10C9-E4BA-405E-BBDD-A8CA5BDF0367.jpeg
CF102433-4EBA-4CAB-B10A-60D4A0B330BD.jpeg
78FD8449-690C-4FAB-A73B-498E9B54891D.jpeg
EABFDA51-A676-4967-94B8-1A75EAFFC556.jpeg
6BD4AC4D-5424-40EA-83D4-22F82A2E6B3B.jpeg
4D600FDE-8E8B-44A5-AC06-3944998AE7F6.jpeg

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Lovely, I wonder what wheels they are? They look lovely though, still a cracker of a car! Probably the best looking RS Clio when sitting right :cool:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
OP
davecoupe
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Lovely, I wonder what wheels they are? They look lovely though, still a cracker of a car! Probably the best looking RS Clio when sitting right :cool:

I’ve no idea, I’ve a bit of research to do when I can get out of bed because I really want to know too. Norovirous has me beat today though.
Class wee pocket rocket. Unreal photos as well, north wales is a brilliant drive on days like that!

brilliant roads. Had a cracking spin back to the boat. Had the deal done at 9:30, met a mate for breakfast and headed off into wales, my boat wasn’t till 8:30 so the wee Clio got a good blast around the b-roads.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
The handling in these is unbelivable for a front wheel drive car, it feels like magic.

Certainly capable of embarrassing some higher powered machinery on the track.

warren

RMS Photographer
Love it. I had one of these on my list of potentials before I bought the Boxster, I hoped the urge to buy one would go away....... it hasnt.

Afterthought - Do you think an alsation would fit in the boot?

Last edited:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
OP
davecoupe
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Love it. I had one of these on my list of potentials before I bought the Boxster, I hoped the urge to buy one would go away....... it hasnt.

Afterthought - Do you think an alsation would fit in the boot?
No.

When I put a spare wheel in there I doubt there will be room for much else 😂
The handling in these is unbelivable for a front wheel drive car, it feels like magic.

Certainly capable of embarrassing some higher powered machinery on the track.

My S14a is/was pretty capable.....it wouldn’t see what way this Clio went down a b-road

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Nice car, and some great photography too. A great roadtrip to start ownership too. Enjoy.

When I studied in Liverpool, I took to the Welsh B roads one weekend, outstanding scenery and roads, through valleys and over mountains. Couldn’t beat it.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
OP
davecoupe
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Few wee things tidied up today, a few of the known issues sorted.

all the interior and puddle lights changed to leds to modernise the interior a bit, scuttle panel and wipers taken off and the scuttle drains cleaned out...they wernt too bad and no rust but the amount of crap gathered in there was shocking. Got the Map sensor sealed and cable tied in place.

Also got the Gear linkages strapped into place, these popped out on me getting onto the boat and I thought I’d bought a lemon. Thankfully a common problem with the easiest solution.

Looked at the stickers a few times, thought about taking them off but I’m **** scared because I don’t know how long they are on and the paint is red. They could be really obvious when I remove them. Probably a job for over Christmas with a machine polisher handy incase the paint around them is faded.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
OP
davecoupe
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
This afternoon, replaced the centre silencer and went to check the exhaust flexi which is another common issue.....manifold has already been replaced with a k-tec one 👍. A previous owner has put a lot of money and effort into sorting the common issues before they have become an issue. Result.

There appears to have been something done to the rear of the exhaust too, tips etc aren’t standard.

Removing the silencer made no difference to the noise below 5.5k, above which it sounds rather racy.....but getting a few wee pops and crackles on up shifts and on overrun now 😳

Last edited: