Coilovers or Lowering Springs

lennox13

RMS Member
Drives
C Class C350
Alright folks, I'm not entirely sure what to go for here. I'd basically like to have zero arch gap. I'm not sure if a set of springs on their own are going to give me the drop I want, or if coilovers are the way forward? Has anyone had a significant drop with springs alone?

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
Different variables here.

Coilovers will obviously give you all the adjustment you need to get your desired height, but cheapie coilovers may ruin the ride quality? Although that may not be a huge factor. Decent coilovers can be expensive and not all of them go overly low. Depends what you're after i suppose.

Some spring setups may give you the height you want but you'd need to research them all.

You may be able to get a height adjustable spring kit, such as the KW HAS. I'm not sure if it's available for your make/model.

I always found asking on facebook groups was handy. People reply quickly with photos and their setups.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Alright folks, I'm not entirely sure what to go for here. I'd basically like to have zero arch gap. I'm not sure if a set of springs on their own are going to give me the drop I want, or if coilovers are the way forward? Has anyone had a significant drop with springs alone?
Will depend on wheel width etc. Springs will travel more than coilovers so although more comfortable to drive, the stiffness of coilovers will stop wheels rubbing when going over bumps.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Good springs will be better than cheap coilovers imo.
I’m on Ford performance Eibachs which are plenty low for me and other springs go even lower, bit of research required!
5E1252DE-8AB8-4002-8069-1B26FC709CBC.jpeg

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I’ve put Eibach Pro kit on most of last cars …I find the drop Perfect for everyday use keeping OEM feel although just a slight more noticeable tightness in cornering..

Ideally I’d have KW V1 or V2 coilovers like on my last M3…gives an even better drive and can dial in the stance …

E92 on Eibachs
6E0735E0-9080-4748-AE9A-DF6F6E93CD04.jpeg

E46 on KW v1’s
B06A7649-B916-4FCF-B404-47272E2B4790.jpeg

E46 on Eibachs
1BCB374E-2A35-4CBB-8C5F-4B23BDAD8BB2.jpeg

lennox13

RMS Member
OP
lennox13
Drives
C Class C350
Good springs will be better than cheap coilovers imo.
I’m on Ford performance Eibachs which are plenty low for me and other springs go even lower, bit of research required!
View attachment 365847
That there is the ideal drop I think. I just don't want any arch gap but I don't want to majorly effect the handling. Are those Maxton Design skirts and splitters? I've to my eye on them for when I get the ride height sorted.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Eibach Pro Springs in my zed. Handling is perfect and just right drop imo

3342979A-EC1E-434A-A0DD-0FB83ED3E112.jpeg

MarkM

RMS Regular
That there is the ideal drop I think. I just don't want any arch gap but I don't want to majorly effect the handling. Are those Maxton Design skirts and splitters? I've to my eye on them for when I get the ride height sorted.

Yes, maxton bits in textured finish (y)

MarkOne

RMS Regular
Any recommendations for someone to fit lowering springs and can maybe even do alignment afterwards? Belfast/Newtownabbey preferred. I realise most mechanics but would prefer someone recommended as my mechanic just retired.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I’ve put Eibach Pro kit on most of last cars …I find the drop Perfect for everyday use keeping OEM feel although just a slight more noticeable tightness in cornering..

Ideally I’d have KW V1 or V2 coilovers like on my last M3…gives an even better drive and can dial in the stance …

E92 on Eibachs
View attachment 365899

E46 on KW v1’s
View attachment 365902

E46 on Eibachs
View attachment 365908

Here I hope you have been paying @Coog rent for that space?

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I went from coilovers to H&R springs for a bit more comfort, that being said i do a lot of towing (car transporter/ caravan etc.) and the rear springs are soft in comparison to the coilovers.

Probably not relevant to this case but free info for anyone thats interested :joy:

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Just put H&R’s in the 7.5 with spacers. Getting ready for port (I jest🤪) will get pics when I get it washed 😂😂

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Any recommendations for someone to fit lowering springs and can maybe even do alignment afterwards? Belfast/Newtownabbey preferred. I realise most mechanics but would prefer someone recommended as my mechanic just retired.
@Blackline seem to do plenty and well ultimately not particularly difficult.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Good coilovers every time, been in/owned a couple of cars with spring only option, tbh always felt *****, if your just after the look they are grand, pushing on a bit on an undulating b road…..frightening.

browne174

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
They won’t work with u unless u buy the springs from them….eibach themselves have a massive sale on. I like value. Found it a bit strange of a company policy.
It's not that strange if you have a car on a ramp to discover the customer has supplied wrong parts :joy:

Depending on budget, I would pick good brand springs over budget coilovers.