Cold Air Induction (split from for sale section)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Skillie

lordchrisofrichhill said:
skillie how about takin out the standard fiat one,

bung one of these in glue a pipe onto one end send to front grill, and somehow attach to engine side of intake for other end of filter ??

had a similar setup on old gti with a pipercross x worked well

Chris I run a K&N panel filter with drilled airbox at the moment but will be lookin down the line to install a decent induction kit and heat shield (does the one for sale have incorporated heat shield?) with a cold air supply from the front grill or one of the big vents on the new bumper.
ind2.jpg

This sketch is from when I had a BMW but same thing really. If the induction filter is properly insulated from hot air and has a direct cold air supply the it should work a charm. From what I hear this "Ram Air" effect is a bit of a myth (lotta suppliers use this to make their systems sound better). you need to do very high speeds to build up the pressure in the air cavity sufficiently between valves opening so that the air forces its way into the cumbustion chamber (got turbos anyway so don't need this). But the setup above should work well. Also considered moving the induction filter down to where the 360 vent is and taking the air on from here, but dunno what implications this might have or if i'd get any gains.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
well ud prolly be better without the driller air box me thinks, maybe u like the sound,

alternatively what i was thinking was following forum and cuttin another hole under the air intake and attaching some drain spouting and running a feed from that to the front grill

hence normal intake and another cold air feed,

also those askin why not just put cold air feed into the current intake, thers no room to do this with the headlamp cluster wen the bonets down...

pablo

RMS Moderator
only one solution on the fiat coupe - pop the passenger side headlight and pop a HKS dome the size of a house out through :laughing:

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Agreed on that front pablo , i have to say though that the induction kit makes a difference to the performance of the car , there have been back to back tests carried out on FCCUK and there was an increase in torque and BHP when fitting an induction kit, bet position is one such as JohnS has on his coupe , he has dropped the filter down to where the original IC was located, i have had a look at this and it seems a fairly easy job to do it.........

Skillie

OP
S
yea phil thats what i fancy doin with the fezza bumper i got loadsa cold air flyin in there now and might try and put it to use

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Aye best way i recon , think i am going to get a FMIC fitted so that should free up a bit of space :laughing:

Skillie

OP
S
Would having it there causeit any damage etc, due to more dirt/stone particles etc gettin into it?? Would this mean just cleaning it more often? And is there any problem with the air travelling that far after its filtered??

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Induction length definitely makes a difference , generally increasing the induction length will give u more torque low down with a lack of breathing top end, if routed correctly and using a decent high flow air filter i don't see any problems, would be nice to get a mandrel bent stainless steel induction pipe made up to keep the air flow nice and smooth, you could also put a protection below the filter to stop crap flying up into it , although the under tray will do this for you if your car still has it fitted to it....

Skillie

OP
S
still have my undertray!! wehea. I think i'll go down that route eventually alright. get that snarly induction roar going!! Getting the motor back from the shop tomorrow. Still brickin it that they'll make a balls of it!!

Skillie

OP
S
the leathers still there and i'm still here and its a matter of gettin time to head up for it. I would have went around the time you took your hols, then had the car in the bodyshop and been getting the bus for last week so will have to get a chance soon. One of the lads from fccuk is commin over on hols in a month and is buyin the cloth off me so will have to get the leather before then. Also need to get some bloody lowering springs. wanted to do these at the same time as the kit but couldn't get hold of them fast enough

brendy

RMS Regular
regarding mandrel bending pipin, i went to triple seven and asked them if they could do some piping for my 16v, approx a metre, they said that they could only go as wide a diameter as 3", definately not enough, getting a couple one at the same angles etc and put together like a manifold is a nono for financial reasons and space would also play a part.

i have ended up cutting the length of my induction pipe befor the filter and am on the lookout for 4-5" metal ducting which can be shaped as often as you like as its flexi.

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Skillie if you wan tto get it delivered jsut let me know when , i can hold it for as long as you need, ther eis plenty of room in it for an interior, i could also do with taking these measurements off it for the Recaro front seats ;)

Skillie

OP
S
The cash is the prob too Phil. Me credit card is foooked!!, unless you can pay for it and i'll give it to ya when i collect it? Says he as cheeky as can be

Skillie

OP
S
Thats class lol fair play! How bout puttin bags of crushed ice around the airbox and intake lines to cool it down too!!! :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.