Coloured Underseal

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I have a wee MK2 Golf here which I would like to (eventually) paint underneath (inner arches, chassis legs and floors). Some of the original underseal has lifted and some has faded over time so it needs done and I'd rather it was kept the original colour than painted black.

Are there tinted underseals or is the colour applied over the original sealer / stonechip? I'm not sure what I need to ask for from the motorfactors or what the best way to deal with it is lol.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
You can get tintable sealers, i tinted raptor for under my own car recently.

You can just add colour to most i think tbh (If you had already some laying around). I have seen black raptor turned more grey by adding abit of white paint etc.

Or yes, seal it then paint over, but stonechips can damage the look a bit.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It's green so not that easy.

Appears something like shultz then overpainted might be the job.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Last I did this I used grey sealer because it was more suitable to paint over. Might have been Gravitex, but not certain.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
As said, mk2's were under sealed then painted body colour. Don't fancy your chances of matching the bits you can see though!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah that makes sense. Looks like the original underseal was a light colour so I'll replicate that.

As said, mk2's were under sealed then painted body colour. Don't fancy your chances of matching the bits you can see though!

What bits do you mean?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Sorry mate thought it needed bodywork painted. Lovely colour, hard to blend.

No thankfully the body work is pretty decent just needs a good polish and tidy up really.

IMG_20200212_151144.jpg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
No thankfully the body work is pretty decent just needs a good polish and tidy up really.

View attachment 266361

I have Gyeon Trim here which would make some job of that faded plastic!

Also on the sealer, any PU sealer can be painted over. Or you could tint Raptor/Cobra to whatever colour you want and fire a layer of that on.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Gravitex also comes in white or light grey so could be tinted I’m sure . I used the grey on my 106 and then primer and 106gti China blue over the top, the paint took to it well.

poul061

Banned
Drives
Bmw 1.8
Hello, there are tinted foundations I bought it myself and bought it in any paint store you will only find that it is a bit expensive but with availability it is very well suited only buy a good company foundation