cone filter to panel filter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilG

RMS Regular
should i change my k&n cone filter to a k&n panel filter?

Im not convinced the cone is letting clean air into the engine and it constantly has gunk on the bottom half of it, which i cant seem to clean off.

Will the panel still have the same grunty noise as the cone?

ps. its a 2002 1.2 16v clio

astra_1.6LS

not as much horses as the cone

the cone wont give much n the panel will give less

go down to halfords r sumwere n get cleaner for it

MarkOne

RMS Regular
locate the cone filter away from heat and towards an area where its actually gettin the cold air

or option 2 a panel filter and drilled airbox

u gota pic of yer set up?

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
its a k&n 57i kit with a cold air feed pipe running up to it from the front bumper.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
A cone filter has to be regularly cleaned and oiled. Its the oil that does the filtering, not the filter itself afaik

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
positioning off the cone has an effect, away from gunk splashing up, why not try and conceal the filter in an airbox, similar to an enclosed kit but cheaper.

Neither of the two will give you much in the way of horsepower, but sweet fa with no cold air. You'll be losing power with the cone just sitting there .

If enclosing the filter isn't possible for you then a panel filter will give you a similar 'gain' (if you could call it that).

Every car setup acts differently to various setups, best to try out them all and stick with what works.

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
just after ordering a K&N panel filter, although K&N have just brought out a "generation 2 57i kit" which is basically a cone inside an airbox.

Got the panel for £35 including delivery so i think it was a good buy.

PS. i never got the current cone expecting to get anymore than 2 extra bhp, only bought it to get rid of the wizzing sort of noise from a standard engine, and replace it with a small grunt sound.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.