Continental v Michelin

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
My new car has some Zeta tyres fitted to the rear which I’ll be removing. Fronts are Continental ContiSport 5 with a few thousand miles left in them. Question is, do I just buy 2 Contis for the rear to match the fronts or buy a full set of Michelin PS4? I’ve never had Continental before but I’m a Michelin fan and the PS4 seems to get great reviews. Wheels are 18s so ContiSport 6 and PS4S are only available in 19”.
Cheers
D

genman

G
why not just go with the regular PS4. . only the 4s is size limited

zafturbo

RMS Regular
The wheels are 18” so my options are PS4 and Sport Contact 5
Sorry I meant there isn’t a whole difference in the PS4 compared to the PS4’s on a daily .friend has had while bother with conti,s on his 2017 Nissan Juke to the extent he is getting four free as there done at 4K .no he drives it at 40mph and it’s a tyre fault .

Last edited:

richiemucker

RMS Regular
Drives
E220
Funny enough I have Conti Premium Contacts on the Passat, the fronts are done around 8k. I'm going to be switching to Michelin's all round next.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I’m a real Michelin man too, or at least I thought I was !
The M3 has them and I’ve always had them but my Merc had Bridgestone Potenzas and honestly they were great tyres, less road noise and great grip in the wet too

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Funny enough I have Conti Premium Contacts on the Passat, the fronts are done around 8k. I'm going to be switching to Michelin's all round next.

Are the Premium not a completely different tyre to the Sport?

I’m a real Michelin man too, or at least I thought I was !
The M3 has them and I’ve always had them but my Merc had Bridgestone Potenzas and honestly they were great tyres, less road noise and great grip in the wet too

I’ve Bridgestone on the Golf and they’re grand but seem to get a lot of bad press on the VW forum.

Both tyres are £90-100 per corner so it’s really down to spending £200 or £400

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I put PS4’s on the S3 and they are great, especially in the wet and minimal road noise.
Have you considered UniRoyal Rainsports?
I put 4 on the Golf R and no complaints - bit of a saving over the Michelin’s too.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
I put PS4’s on the S3 and they are great, especially in the wet and minimal road noise.
Have you considered UniRoyal Rainsports?
I put 4 on the Golf R and no complaints - bit of a saving over the Michelin’s too.

Hadn’t considered Rainsports as the PS4 get great wet performance ratings. I’ve a set of Nokian winters too so never really considered an all rounder type tyre

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Give you an example here ,£230 for my Michelin PS4’s last week or rain sports were £129.thats a hell of a difference in price .are the Michelin twice as good and last near twice as long on a daily driver I totally can’t see it .
In saying that when at 99% the legal speed limit on a B road ;) I want to make sure that it’s me puts it over the hedge through lack of ability and not the tyres having no grip or whatever

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Moved from Contisport 3 to PS4 and never looked back.
Don't know how the CS3 compares to CS5 to be fair though.

PS4 great wet and dry and let go nice and progressively. Wear has been good too compared to any other sport tyre I've had.

Last edited:

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Problem I have found with Conti is inconsistent mileage return. Our Kuga had them and we got 25k. Mother in laws Kadjar only got 11k! I don’t rate Conti at all

Our Mini has Michelin Primacy3 fitted and I can’t fault them bar the noise. They will be replaced by Bridgestone when they are due.

So, Michelin would be my recommendation, especially on something like an S3!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Majority seem to be favouring Michelin so far. I only do 6k miles per year and maybe 2k of that will be on winters so I don’t mind spending a few quid on premium quality rubber.

richiemucker

RMS Regular
Drives
E220
Yep that is what I was getting at the Conti's are inconsistent for wear. I don't drive the Passat hard and I'm only getting 8k from a set of fronts.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I don’t rate the conti 5’s on the Leon at all, wet grip is terrible

riano

RMS Regular
Drives
C63s coupe
Ive got PS4S on the rear of my M4 and they're absolutely amazing, test drove one with the conti sport 5 and they were terrible on it. On my previous Merc I had the conti sport 5 and thought they were great but ended up going through a set in about 8000 miles or less and changed it to the PS4 and I have to say, I actually thought the conti sport were better on it than the PS4, used to get a bit of wheelsman with the PS4 coming out of junctions but never did with the contis. I got rid of the car before the rears needed changed but to be honest I didn't think they were going to last a great deal longer than the contis and if I had to choose again id go for the contis over the PS4 and assume there is a lot of difference in the PS4 and PS4S compound based on how good the 4S are on the M4 and how relatively poor I found the 4 on a 200bhp Merc.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
PS4's without doubt. I had them on my GTi and they are the best tyre I've ever had.

Super Sports are a good bit dearer and personally I dont think you need them, given how good the PS4 is.

You cant compare a model of tyre across different size. A Potenza may be good in 1 size, but poor in an another. We have Potenzas on the R (225/40/18) and they are nowhere near as good as the PS4.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
PS4's without doubt. I had them on my GTi and they are the best tyre I've ever had.

Super Sports are a good bit dearer and personally I dont think you need them, given how good the PS4 is.

You cant compare a model of tyre across different size. A Potenza may be good in 1 size, but poor in an another. We have Potenzas on the R (225/40/18) and they are nowhere near as good as the PS4.

The Supersports are about £30 per corner more expensive. Not worth the extra for me.
I never had any issues with the Potenza on my R but they are no better than the winters that came off.

Just to stir things up have you considered Kumho? They get good reviews, much cheaper than "premium brand" tyres and way better than I ever expected on my 330D

I haven’t but had them on my E46 M3 and I’d prefer a more premium tyre.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’ve found hankook Evo to be a great tyre over the years. I’ve fitted Dunlop sp sport maxx to the impreza as they were a good price and I could afford £100 a corner so I’ll be interested to see how they perform, I can’t see there being much of an issue on a 4wd anyway