Continental v Michelin

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I haven’t but had them on my E46 M3 and I’d prefer a more premium tyre.

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
Just to stir things up have you considered Kumho? They get good reviews, much cheaper than "premium brand" tyres and way better than I ever expected on my 330D
+1
I've had alot of tyres on my s14. I don't know exact tyre model numbers but i would rate kumho very highly. I had a pair of pirelli p zero that would have only been slightly better. All tyres in 215-225, 18 inch

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Ive had conti sports in the past and recently have been running uniroyal rainsports on the 350z.

I'm quite impressed with them tbh but I'd say sidewall is a little softer than others, does let you through the car round a bit though lol

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
Why no love for Pirellis?? I have P-Zeros on the new motor as I thought they were the best out there all round. Would Michelin have been a better option?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Michelin really do seem to be the best all round: PS2, PS4, PS4S and SS consistently seem to be among the best tyres you can get.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
I had the PS4 (not the PS4S) on my Forester and did a track day with day old tyres. Maybe used a 2MM and that was with constant squeal. They handled brilliantly.

Prior to the track day my previous tyres where also a PS4 and they rocked in all conditioned including snow.

Unfortunately when I got a puncture on my Hatch I had to get Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's as the PS4 tyres would have been 3-4 day wait. Whilst they grip well in most conditions when pushing on you can feel how soft the sidewalls are in comparison to the PS4 tyres.

Would recommend PS4 tyres all day long. Oh also if you order 2 or more tyres from Kwik Fit (where the 225/45/18 in PS4 are cheapest from my searching) they'll do mobile fitting for free so need to leave the car in with some spotty 18 year old to fly around the depo on to the ramps...

*edit 245/45/18*

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Michelin seem to be the daddy in most of the reviews I’ve read. You do get the odd surprise in reviews from the lesser names. I was more interested in dry grip for the scoob and the Dunlop faired well there but not so great in wet handling, the car won’t be out in the wet anyway.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Why no love for Pirellis?? I have P-Zeros on the new motor as I thought they were the best out there all round. Would Michelin have been a better option?

Nope, had 2 P Zero Nero on my Clubman and they were badly out of shape and were almost new! Replaced with Super Sports. Won’t have Pirelli again through choice.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Flip, the 225/40/18 is £106 fitted at Kiwkfit. Openeo is £98 so by the time you factor in fitting I cant believe Kwikfit is cheaper! I knew their prices had become more sensible in recent months, but thats the first example I've seen of them being cheaper than the online places.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Thats a fantastic price, especially considering its with Kwikfit. I stopped even quoting with them years ago for their high prices.

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
I need 225/40/18. £98 on Oponeo

I got four PS4's in 225/40 x18 the other week off @RubberLover for £432. Michelin were doing a £50 cash-back which brought the price down to the equivalent of £95.50 each.
Not sure when the cash-back offer expires.

The PS4's replaced a set of Kumho's. KU37 I think they were. Worst tyre ever. Absolutely useless...

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Unfortunately when I got a puncture on my Hatch I had to get Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's as the PS4 tyres would have been 3-4 day wait. Whilst they grip well in most conditions when pushing on you can feel how soft the sidewalls are in comparison to the PS4 tyres.

I had the same experience in the past and ended up with F1s on the rear of the GT86. I actually called into a garage after a few miles after getting them fitted to check pressure as they felt like they were under inflated but nope. They do have as much grip as the PS4 once they bite but soft wall feeling was a little unsettling until tread wore down.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I have contisport 5 on the Merc and the grip isn’t great in the wet. I wouldn’t buy them again. There are P-Zeros on the Volvo and it could be the 4wd but the grip is phenomenal

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I have contisport 5 on the Merc and the grip isn’t great in the wet. I wouldn’t buy them again. There are P-Zeros on the Volvo and it could be the 4wd but the grip is phenomenal

Glad to see its not just me then, I was thinking I was paranoid about them or expecting too much from them on the Leon. I know it has near 300bhp going through the front wheels but still anything more then half a peddle in 2/3 gear and it starts scrambling for grip and the TC light is flashing, 1st is completely useless. They are good in the dry though but I think most half decent stuff is or should be.

genman

G
225/45/18 are £91 on Kwikfit and 245/45/18 are £133 - considering thats fitted its a good deal imo (I dont work for these guys btw I work with computers - just rate the mobile service!)
where did you see that 245/45 price... cant see it listed online

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
+1
I've had alot of tyres on my s14. I don't know exact tyre model numbers but i would rate kumho very highly. I had a pair of pirelli p zero that would have only been slightly better. All tyres in 215-225, 18 inch
I have the exact same opinion!

I had Kumho KU39s on the 400bhp 335i and they were great, no issues at all. Grip didn't quite match the P-Zeros I had previously on it. But comparing the 2 they were 95% of the tyre for 65% of the price.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Michelin for me, continentals are a great tyre but find they go 'off' alot quicker than michelins, which sustain their grip levels much longer imo.

And on a very very anal note Michelins looks better and for some bizare reason take the tyre dressing better than continentals :joy:

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Michelin for me, continentals are a great tyre but find they go 'off' alot quicker than michelins, which sustain their grip levels much longer imo.

And on a very very anal note Michelins looks better and for some bizare reason take the tyre dressing better than continentals :joy:

Dunlop’s too!! Glad to see I’m not the only one who notices this!