Continental v Michelin

Marc

RMS Moderator
I just ordered a set of rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports today from Ivan Kerr tyres, he was very reasonable on them and as always super helpful and so easy to deal with. I’d recommend the guys there to anyone if they are looking some tyres or alignment.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Thread revival here…is the Michelin PS4 still the ‘go to’ tyre for everyone? I’ve no need for anything like the Super Sport tyre.

Last tyres I bought were the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I recently got some PS4s and honestly they are Michelin at their best, so much better than the Super sports they replaced

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Thread revival here…is the Michelin PS4 still the ‘go to’ tyre for everyone? I’ve no need for anything like the Super Sport tyre.

Last tyres I bought were the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2.

Yup, the PS4 is fantastic. Not sure how the PS4s can be much better!

Reactions: DC.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I recently got some PS4s and honestly they are Michelin at their best, so much better than the Super sports they replaced

Yeah, I was going to mention something similar, as reading between the lines I think it was thought that the PS4s slotted in under the SuperSports, but actually the PS4s are now the top UHP road tyre in michelins range.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I have to be honest I've driven dozens of cars with Kumhos, Goodyears, Michelins, Pirellis, Dunlops, Bridgestone, Continentals and I've always struggled to tell the difference between any of the more premium brands.

Put a set of Wing Wang ditchfinders on the front and sure that's night and day, but anything £80+ on an 18" wheel and they've all been fine at close to the limit in my experience.

Maybe I'm just not as good a driver as Karen in her Tiguan though.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I have to be honest I've driven dozens of cars with Kumhos, Goodyears, Michelins, Pirellis, Dunlops, Bridgestone, Continentals and I've always struggled to tell the difference between any of the more premium brands.

Put a set of Wing Wang ditchfinders on the front and sure that's night and day, but anything £80+ on an 18" wheel and they've all been fine at close to the limit in my experience.

Maybe I'm just not as good a driver as Karen in her Tiguan though.

I had a set of Kumho fitted to my A3 a bunch of years back, going down the road the abs was lighting up and the back end stepping about. Swapped to Vredesteins and instantly noticed the improvement.

My mum's S5 came with conti sports iirc, and they seemed very wishy washy to me, then pirellis were swapped on, and one day I was driving it thinking it was handling better, got out to notice the new tyres on it.

Had Kumho fitted to the RS6 when I got it, pure S#*te for a car like that, fit ps4s to the new alloys and am very impressed.

I think type of vehicle plays into how much you notice differences, a rep in a mile muncher A3 or passat or whatever won't notice much of a difference, I'd definitely rather spend a bit on tyres personally as they're what keeps the car on the road.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I had a set of Kumho fitted to my A3 a bunch of years back, going down the road the abs was lighting up and the back end stepping about. Swapped to Vredesteins and instantly noticed the improvement.

My mum's S5 came with conti sports iirc, and they seemed very wishy washy to me, then pirellis were swapped on, and one day I was driving it thinking it was handling better, got out to notice the new tyres on it.

Had Kumho fitted to the RS6 when I got it, pure S#*te for a car like that, fit ps4s to the new alloys and am very impressed.

I think type of vehicle plays into how much you notice differences, a rep in a mile muncher A3 or passat or whatever won't notice much of a difference, I'd definitely rather spend a bit on tyres personally as they're what keeps the car on the road.

In fairness maybe I shouldn't have included Kumho in that list as they're definitely at the bottom of the pack.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Michelin seem to get rave reviews on the forums, I’m on the Golf FB page and that’s all anyone seems to buy. However I found the last two cars I’ve had with Michelin on very noisy and just didn’t like them at all

I’ve changed to Potenza S001s and they grip so well. I’m also and OE fan and I believe these come standard on a lot of GTDs

Reactions: DC.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It completely comes down to size. I’ve had the same tyre on different cars in the past and it’s been awesome in 1 size and crap in another.

I didn’t rate Potenzas on the Golf and have never had a good Continental.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
It completely comes down to size. I’ve had the same tyre on different cars in the past and it’s been awesome in 1 size and crap in another.

I didn’t rate Potenzas on the Golf and have never had a good Continental.

What would you recommend for 20’s on the X3 @Lyons ?

Notice the current bridge-stone fun flats coming close to the limit of grip very quickly so thinking of another brand, something for grip and longevity

Also happened to come across this in a car magazine recently which confirmed I wasn’t imagining things

9AA99E54-026A-48AE-B67A-8B475DF49A03.jpeg