Converting a manual Saab 9-5 to an auto ?

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
I'm hoping we have some Saab experts who can guide me.

As some of you know I recently bought a 2004 auto 9-5 2.3t estate. I was planning on taking the seats out to fit to the Defender but after driving the car for 3 weeks I really don't want to be taking it off the road. Soooo I did the next best thing and bought another 9-5 exactly the same as mine only in manual with a blown engine but with the same leather interior to use it in the Defender.
You see where this is going.
Turns out the second Saab may very possibly be in better condition than the first one which has now got me seriously wondering how big a job it would be to transplant the auto box across to the manual car.

Please tell me someone has done the conversion and its really easy.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Shouldn't be much more complicated that wiring loom, ECU, pedal box. You've got the complete donor car so should be reasonably simple. Volvo's guys go the other way all the time with the R model's

purplea4T

RMS Regular
There’s loads of threads on the usual Saab sites, I looked at an aero a couple of years back to do auto to manual but it seems quite in-depth with loads of bits that you wouldn’t immediately think are needed.
How much is needed in making the worse of the 2 good?

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
There’s loads of threads on the usual Saab sites, I looked at an aero a couple of years back to do auto to manual but it seems quite in-depth with loads of bits that you wouldn’t immediately think are needed.
How much is needed in making the worse of the 2 good?

The worserer one isn't to bad at all but the blown engine one is a cracking colour and paint and body are pretty much spot on. As dddrrift says, I have 2 complete cars to work off so can't see the issues. But I would like to be sure before starting all the work.