coolant level low warning coming on the dash. astra j 1.4 petrol. the level is correct, system was pressure tested and a new sensor fitted

Thunderace

RMS Regular
Drives
z1000sx
sensor bought from e bay and is supposed to be a genuine part. the level is not low and the car runs at the correct temperature. pressing the button on dash cancels the warning message but every time the car is started it comes on again. any ideas

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
thanks stevie, I don,t think its the sensor as I replaced it. looks like a job for an auto spark. not very good with electrics. can you recommend any one handy to lisburn

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
Change the expansion tank,there’s a revised one with a larger float that cures the problem
Change the expansion tank,there’s a revised one with a larger float that cures the problem
hi gizmo, would you know if this is a known problem with Vauxhall. as the parts guy in hursts never mentioned it today when I was telling him my problem. do I use the existing sensor ? I did,nt know there was a float in the expansion tank. do you think I have to get the revised tank from hursts or maybe a motor factors or e bay. any more info would be great. did you have to do this yourself . thank you

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
hi gizmo, would you know if this is a known problem with Vauxhall. as the parts guy in hursts never mentioned it today when I was telling him my problem. do I use the existing sensor ? I did,nt know there was a float in the expansion tank. do you think I have to get the revised tank from hursts or maybe a motor factors or e bay. any more info would be great. did you have to do this yourself . thank you

Had to do it on the sister in laws Astra j
Apparently a problem on the H,J and insignias
Just use your sensor and replace the tank

Last edited:

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
hi again gizmo, no luck finding a revised bottle on e bay. when you mention a larger float , is that the coolant level sensor you are talking about. thank you
hi again gizmo, no luck finding a revised bottle on e bay. when you mention a larger float , is that the coolant level sensor you are talking about. thank you
sorry mate ,was the warning low coolant coming on and did you get it from the e bay site you posted , is there a float inside. sorry for the hassle

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx

sorry mate ,was the warning low coolant coming on and did you get it from the e bay site you posted , is there a float inside. sorry for the hassle
is the revised tank a different shape or what is the difference, just got the car and want to get it sorted out asap thanks gizmo

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
No the one I got was just a new replacement,not the revised one,yes it was the one in that link and there’s a float in it

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
No the one I got was just a new replacement,not the revised one,yes it was the one in that link and there’s a float in it
thank you again. I am at hursts tmara getting a key programmed , I will price a revised bottle. just worried that one on e bay is the same as I have on already plus I already replaced sensor. was your sister in laws astra bringing up warning low coolant level sign? thanks mate

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Yes the same issues as yours
A replacement one will do if you don’t get a revised one

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
Yes the same issues as yours
A replacement one will do if you don’t get a revised one
just wonder what the difference is between the two ? sorry for the hassle. are u pretty sure an old cheaper bottle will do

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Yes lol
The one in the link worked fine in hers
Apparently the newer one has a larger and less brittle float(the old one perishes)

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Astra H had the same issue, can also be caused by the float in the expansion tank, never got to the bottom of mine, ended up just unplugging the sensor as that kept the light off, sold the car before I got the chance to fix it properly.

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
hi folks , just to let you know , I got the problem solved , it was the connections on the cable connecting to the sensor were corroded. thanks for all your help