Corroded exhaust tip...what to do?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Twain

RMS Regular
The tsport backbox tip is all corroded and nasty. Metal polish does fook all so is there any other way of getting it to look nice and shiny again? im not in the mood to buy a new backbox as there is no holes in it..just nasty bubbling and it looks pish.

thanks in advance

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I took a bit of Farcella rubbing compound to an old exhaust tip the other day and it took a fair bit of the pitting out. Will never be perfect but it tidied it up a bit.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Is it a chrome tailpipe?
The pipes on my MK2 GTi corroded and I used a buffing tool (and rubbing compound) on a Dremel to remove the rust spots and bubbling. Then did it with metal polish again. Came up a treat

Get a pic up if you can

Twain

RMS Regular
OP
Twain
ive the car on axles stands at the mo...doing a bit of diy refrubishing with simoniz bright silver wheel paint. ill get a pic of the exhaust when the car has the wheels back on it sure. Looks pish at the mo, just wee niggly things that let the car down imo, everything else is grand. Got a wee tte rear spoiler heading my way too to tidy up the rear boot.

Ruth

RMS Regular
aye fine wire wool and autosol i'd say.. im guessing your tail piece is like mine on the ph2, not super shiny chrome finish, but dull ish

Johnski

RMS Regular
What about sandpaper, start off at a lower grade and work up to a high grade to get a smooth shiny finish?

Twain

RMS Regular
OP
Twain
good, ive got all that stuff there...might give it a go soon, all my time was spent sanding, priming and spraying the god damn wheels. Finish looks ok but noone is allowed to look at them closely :p

Twain

RMS Regular
OP
Twain
wet n dried it and used some megs metal polish i found in my box of random cleaning stuff. came up grand, few scratch marks but it looks respectable now and not tarnished anymore. ta for advice folks.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.