Corrosion

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
We bought a wee Honda Civic Tourer recently and having had it on the lift for the first time this week I noticed that there was rust forming on the lower lip of the driver’s door.

Car is 2015 and unfortunately Honda’s warranty only cover the bodywork for 3 years.

I’m not sure if they’d have covered this anyway as it may have been caused by the drain hole in the door being blocked by a leaf (or something similar) which may have caused water to pool inside the seam.

Anyone in bodywork recommend what to do to stop the rot (literally!)?

I have dabbed rust neutraliser on the seam and may gently rub it down, prime it and paint it with touch up / lacquer kit.

Any other recommendations paint men?

C77E28A5-D4D8-4826-BAE4-0E59966DF867.jpeg

9C2FA941-A3DA-45B7-BF3C-73539F20CF3C.png

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Corrosion warranty is 12 years, not that it matters now that you've touched it.

Unfortunately, if it's coming from inside out then no amount of treatment externally is going to keep it away permanently.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Corrosion warranty is 12 years, not that it matters now that you've touched it.

Unfortunately, if it's coming from inside out then no amount of treatment externally is going to keep it away permanently.

For what it’s worth :
2D00188B-ABA9-4F17-85C4-5131D8809E92.jpeg

scub

Banned
looks structural to my non expert eye.
ah the luxury of the mighty v70's galvanised shell!

PAULW

RMS Regular
You could spray bilt hamber dynax s50 into the inside of the door at the bottom, use the supplier hose for putting into cavities, it would definitely help stop it progressing further.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
It’s surprising how many “new” cars are suffering from corrosion/rust - we nearly bought a 3 year old Cactus last night and the bootlid had corrosion the length of the closing panel. I’d push that one with Honda though wouldn’t have high hopes.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
I'd pull the door card off and see what the inner door skin is like. The drain holes are likely blocked and damp accumulating at the lower seem.

As with all rust the only way to properly treat it is to cut it back and paint unfortunately. Applying a rust converter and corrosion inhibitor inside the door skin would likely help to slow the corrosion