Corsa 2010 as first car

Ricky

RMS Regular
Hi

I’m 18 and passed my test at Christmas and I really want a car lol.

Basically, there’s a 2010 Vauxhall corsa active for sale near me and I’d like to get it. It’s £2000

I don’t know whether I should buy it or not. I’m 18 and I’ve only just got myself a part time job. I’d feel much more content getting one from a dealer as I’d know it’s been looked after properly.

I’m kinda wary of getting one from a private seller due to the fact it may not be all it seems

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Just because it's in a dealer does not mean it has been looked after. It MAY mean that the glaringly obvious issues have been sorted and it should come with a short warranty but nothing more than that. A well looked after private sale will be everybit as good as a dealer. Judge a car on its own merits not who is selling it. If in doubt take somebody who knows bit about cars along with you and see for yourself.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
Just because it's in a dealer does not mean it has been looked after. It MAY mean that the glaringly obvious issues have been sorted and it should come with a short warranty but nothing more than that. A well looked after private sale will be everybit as good as a dealer. Judge a car on its own merits not who is selling it. If in doubt take somebody who knows bit about cars along with you and see for yourself.

Yeah that’s true. There’s a dealer near me that I’ll be avoiding anyway due to a bad repuatation.

I wish the DVA would create a online MOT check were you can enter a vehicles reg number and see it’s MOT history like the DVLA have for mainland registered vehicles

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
I was about to say that’s a fresh car for a first time then realised what year it actually is and felt very old

I absolutely love the Vauxhall corsa and don’t get me wrong I’d happily buy a brand new 2019 corsa if I had the money but unfortunately I don’t so I’m gonna have to get an older one. I just worry about it being 9 years old and having loads of problems though

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
No you’d be mad in the head buying a new car at that age. Buying 9-10 years old is a good move. Bring someone with you and see if it looks good. If you can afford it then happy days

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Personally as your first car I wouldn't be scared of buying private. Take someone along with you who knows what they are doing and run their eye over it.
From a dealer yes you will get warranty (some warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on) but then again privately will be reasonably cheaper.

Keeping in mind it is a 9 year old car, there are going to be problems regardless if bought privately or through a dealer - and will the warranty cover these issues?

My advice is buy it privately, save a few quid and put it aside because there will be one day you'll need to spend a pound or two to fix a problem.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
We've had two 1.2 Corsa's in the family. A 2011 1.2 Excite and a 2014 1.2 Limited Edition
Both have been for new drivers and with a black box have been around £1300 for the first year. That did almost halve in the second for my eldest boy, will be interesting to see what happens to youngest in January

Problem wise, the Excite was very low miles, Network Q car and it never really ran right. Had a new coil pack, both Lambda sensors and a new air flow meter in its short life with us.
It met a sad demise on a tree stump.

The Limited Edition has been grand, pulls well and is fairly economical @ 35mpg average. You do have to use the gears, especially on the hills as it's only 80hp.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the insurance price between the various editions.

There is a 1.0 engined version, I'd imagine it would be a poor performer.

bill

Banned
I have a corsa limited edition 3 months warranty £4500 near a year mot

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
Yeah that’s true. There’s a dealer near me that I’ll be avoiding anyway due to a bad repuatation.

I wish the DVA would create a online MOT check were you can enter a vehicles reg number and see it’s MOT history like the DVLA have for mainland registered vehicles

You can email dva customer services with the reg and they will come back to you with mot dates and mileages. Usually respond within 48hrs, so at least you can see if mileage checks out.

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
Defo take somebody who genuinely knows what they're talking about, even if you have to pay them a pound or two, rather than just take a mate who thinks he does.

As said above, check out insurance on the actual car before committing to buy. Good luck.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
We've had two 1.2 Corsa's in the family. A 2011 1.2 Excite and a 2014 1.2 Limited Edition
Both have been for new drivers and with a black box have been around £1300 for the first year. That did almost halve in the second for my eldest boy, will be interesting to see what happens to youngest in January

Problem wise, the Excite was very low miles, Network Q car and it never really ran right. Had a new coil pack, both Lambda sensors and a new air flow meter in its short life with us.
It met a sad demise on a tree stump.

The Limited Edition has been grand, pulls well and is fairly economical @ 35mpg average. You do have to use the gears, especially on the hills as it's only 80hp.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the insurance price between the various editions.

There is a 1.0 engined version, I'd imagine it would be a poor performer.

My brother currently drives a limited edition 1.4 and he loves it. It’s a great looking version of the corsa.

I actually learnt to drive in a 2014 corsa excite 1.2 and it was a great wee car to learn in

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
Defo take somebody who genuinely knows what they're talking about, even if you have to pay them a pound or two, rather than just take a mate who thinks he does.

As said above, check out insurance on the actual car before committing to buy. Good luck.

I’m probably only going to get one in insurance group 2-4 as I need to try to keep costs down as much as possible. A 1.0 corsa would do me fine. Want one with low road tax as well.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
:laughing:
AFF520C7-B3E4-4BFF-93F2-7FBEDBFF1908.jpeg