Cost effective wheel cleaning products

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Would anyone recommend a more cost effective spray on wheel cleaner. I have Purge, and it works fantastic, but I'm looking to see if there is a cheaper alternative for regulat wheel cleaning.

My car, at the longest, wouldn't go much more than 2 weeks without getting washed, so, Purge is basically too good a product to waste.

Is it productive to dilute to Purge, or is there a cheaper product on the market that's effective at loosening dirt to Wheel Woolie the wheels and hose off?

RCT

RMS Regular
Get them refurbed then stick on some g-technique stuff or similar and they will only need cleaned with soapy water. Done it on my truck recently and save a lot of time and hassle scrubbing.

If you don’t want to do that, I found Bilberry was a good wheel cleaner and dilutes well.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Eurocarparts do an own brand fall out remover which works quite well on wheels. They do it in 5l jars iirc.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
If the washes are fairly often just use the last of what’s in your bucket and a old wash mit. Use a proper product every 4 or 6 washes but don’t bother every time. Basic brake dust and filth washes off very easily without fancy products

If you want something get a gallon of g101 from autosmart it dilutes very well and will last ages and use a trigger bottle

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
You don't need to use a fall out remover every time you wash your wheels, it's overkill.

I use Autobrite BriteGel, it's the same consistency as Purge so works for longer to break down the dirt. Great stuff.

I have it in stock in 500ML, 1L or 5L, which is £11, £18 or £32 respectively.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Ya honestly don’t need to use anything at all bar the bubbles in your bucket. Try it every other wash to see.
My astra was bought in July, it’s a daily abuse car. I’ve washed it about 4 times maybe 6 max and the wheels have had absolutely no cleaning products used. If I decide to wash it tomorrow I won’t use any either and I’ll post a pic

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Ya honestly don’t need to use anything at all bar the bubbles in your bucket. Try it every other wash to see.
My astra was bought in July, it’s a daily abuse car. I’ve washed it about 4 times maybe 6 max and the wheels have had absolutely no cleaning products used. If I decide to wash it tomorrow I won’t use any either and I’ll post a pic

Much easier with a proper wheel cleaner.

You can wash your hair with Fairy Liquid too if you're a miserable heur, but it doesn't exactly feel great.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Much easier with a proper wheel cleaner.

You can wash your hair with Fairy Liquid too if you're a miserable heur, but it doesn't exactly feel great.

No I use meguires nxt gel stuff lol. Course it’s easier but 5 minutes down the road the difference will be null. Just saying there is no need certainly every wash. Once a month or whatever to remove grime that won’t budge is plenty for any actual wheel product.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
It's definitely a wheel cleaner I'm looking for, not a fall out remover. Something cheap, srayable, easily agitated, capable to safely use on every wash and not going to harm the paint.

The current wheels on the car were recently painted, but I have another set of wheels that are yet to be power coated and fitted and the new wheels will be properly sealed too.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
G101 at 1:5 dilution or even 1:10
Handy product for engine bay, wheels, trim grime, wheel arches etc etc.

hippyross

RMS Regular
It's definitely a wheel cleaner I'm looking for, not a fall out remover. Something cheap, srayable, easily agitated, capable to safely use on every wash and not going to harm the paint.

The current wheels on the car were recently painted, but I have another set of wheels that are yet to be power coated and fitted and the new wheels will be properly sealed too.
Get some tfr 😁

Reactions: Lee

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
As said autosmart smart wheels, buy it in a 5ltr jar and it dilutes down.

111gsi

RMS Regular
I use Surfex HD diluted about 1:10 about once a month, works well for most wheel grime.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Gareth once you get them coated you wont need anything more than soapy water to keep them clean. I used Gyeon Rims to coat them.

I coated the Pretorias I had on the Golf myself and other than a few minor marks from hitting the wheel woolie (not genuine woolie) brush shaft off them they came up like new (that's copper grease on the mounting face of the wheels). This is them when I took them off after a year and 15k+ miles as I sold the Golf. Over the winter they went 6 weeks plus between washes.

IMG_20190127_152013.jpg
IMG_20190127_151811.jpg
IMG_20190127_151108.jpg

Last edited:

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I’ve Geyon Rim in the shed that I’ll be doing the Mini summer wheels with and my current winters when I get them refurbished. I’ve Gtechniq on my summer wheels that Pete did when I got the car coated. Makes cleaning so much easier. I still use Bilberry and Wheel Woolies which is probably overkill

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I put Gyeon Q2 Rim on a set of brand new wheels and you can see how the dirt centrifuges off the surface when you drive in the wet. A heavy rain shower make the wheels look clean again.