Crash Barrier

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
Watched that earlier myself. Am I right in thinking the current system is supposed to do that but this will simply do a much better job ?

Current systems do try to prevent vehicles passing over and into oncoming traffic...for very obvious reasons.

But I guess they dont absorb any real impact in the same way. Concrete doesnt absorb at all, totally ****s whatever hits it and some vehicles can still pass over or be unable to continue travelling the same direction, making it easier for other cars to hit them ?

Steel barriers do seem to absorb, and get destroyed although they're pretty crap at stopping vehicles pass over the top of them

And the steel rope barriers...how they're allowed on any road is a mystery

The barrier in the video seems to absorb impacts well, vehicles seem to suffer less damage, are able to continue moving fairly well without bouncing to far back into traffic etc. And the barrier also seems to hold up well too.

There will hardly ever be a perfect solution for what the barrier has to do, but this certainly looks to tick a lot of boxes.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
Put that up the middle of the A1 all the way from Sprucefield to Newry.

(Yes that does mean blocking off all the 'gap junctions')

that would certainly be a huge benefit to road safety.

If they threw a couple of roundabouts onto the road and did block off the centre for crossings...many lives could be saved from the blind arseholes who cross without looking. It might just inconvenience a few people who'd have to drive to a flyover or roundabout to turn around to get to the other side.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.