Cupra 280 or vxr

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
Currently weighing up options between the two.

I've always wanted to replace my vxr with a newer model but the cupra 280 has also gained my interest. The cupra certainly seems better kitted out, but I feel it looks a bit more bland, inside and out compared to the astra (when equally spec'd). At the minute, the vxrs for sale around the country have been under spec'd (no screen, no full leather, no Bluetooth in some cases) whereas the only thing missing from the cupras is the leather, but they generally have a lot more going for them with screens, cameras, sensors, led lights etc etc. I have also considered the Golf R, but we are talking 5k more than the astra, 2/3k more than the cupra and usually double the miles, but I wouldn't rule it out completely if the right deal came along.

Anyone any thoughts on either selection?

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
OP
Stuarty1984
No mate, just needs cleaned lol.

It's 11 year old now, just turned 94k so I think it's time to move it on.

Lee

RMS Regular
I think the new shape VXR looks class as standard, loved it from day one. Probably not as tuneable as the cupra though.

Gambit

RMS Regular
I think the new shape VXR looks class as standard, loved it from day one. Probably not as tuneable as the cupra though.

Yes totally agree new astra vxr is a brilliant looking car, stands out on the road. Cupra looks mundane in comparison.

Reliability wise...no idea on the vxr but remember reading that paint is very soft and front gets heavily stone chipped

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Golf r available for £17k now 2014.astra must be £15k surely.Astra looks real well imo.one for sale in seat Boucher I noticed last night.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It's pretty clear that you're a big VXR fan, so despite me not liking Vauxhalls I'd actually say go for a new VXR instead of a Leon. Nice to be different.

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
OP
Stuarty1984
What about m135 or m140? Rapid and proper wheel drive? You buying new or used?

Used definitely!

It's pretty clear that you're a big VXR fan, so despite me not liking Vauxhalls I'd actually say go for a new VXR instead of a Leon. Nice to be different.

I would say yes, I am but only because I love my current one, I've by no means any brand loyalty as such, hence looking into other avenues

zafturbo

RMS Regular
There's a 520d for sale at that money :rolleyes:

Nice position to be in, soo much choice! What's your rough yearly milage? Wouldn't you go for something a few years older with more performance etc.
Some difference in a vxr to a bm 5 series.

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
OP
Stuarty1984
There's a 520d for sale at that money :rolleyes:

Nice position to be in, soo much choice! What's your rough yearly milage? Wouldn't you go for something a few years older with more performance etc.

Hoping to stay around 2013-15, doing 8-10k a year. Performance I'm happy enough with 250-300ish bhp, I rarely get to blast it too much, but it's nice knowing it's there.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Hoping to stay around 2013-15, doing 8-10k a year. Performance I'm happy enough with 250-300ish bhp, I rarely get to blast it too much, but it's nice knowing it's there.
The inline 6 of the BMW does sound great and rwd is always fun.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
The M135i would be a nice choice and again not that many on the road. I love my Cupra 280 and have 23k on it, the only thing it has needed is tyres and serviced. They are a great all rounder and fantastic value for money.

I personally wouldn't touch a Golf R as they are everywhere and although never have driven one they don't seem to be as quick standard as the Cupra.

If you want a spin in a Cupra i will happily take you for a spin in mine.

Ghost

RMS Regular
I'm going to get the new cupra 300. I'd look at that although it's pricey

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.