Cyclist behind Van

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Someone I know was asking my opinion on this.
Sitting in traffic in town in a van with no rear windows. Road was narrow so decided to move closer to the kerb. Too close to car in front so checked mirrors and reversed instead. Heard a bump and yell. Jumped out to see a cyclist lying in a heap ranting and raving. No damage , but had sore hip from falling on his ass. He wanted details so got given name and address only. Was told he couldn't be seen in mirrors as he must have been right up to the bumper. Couple of people in a shop seen it happen and came out to check he was ok.
Few weeks later insurance Co. on the phone asking if he'd been involved with a motorbike accident. Nope.
This week a letter arrived asking for his version of events of a cyclist being involved in a collision.
I'm assuming the cyclist is claiming personal injury off the van drivers insurance ?

Any advice on what to do next , opinions , similar scenarios and possible outcome welcome. (y)

Tell the truth and just let the insurance deal with it unfortunately. He reversed into the cyclist and it was witnessed, nothing much he can do. Doesn't matter if the cyclist was an inch or a metre from his bumper.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
That's what I said. Bit weird as I can't imagine what he's claiming for , a bruise ?

Also , what's the odds of the random "witnesses" being found , or giving statements, or even really knowing what happened exactly ? If he denied all knowledge what proof is there ?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
That's what I said. Bit weird as I can't imagine what he's claiming for , a bruise ?

Also , what's the odds of the random "witnesses" being found , or giving statements, or even really knowing what happened exactly ? If he denied all knowledge what proof is there ?
5 weeks off work with stress and depression as well as the bike and physio for whiplash, £20k should settle it

pablo

RMS Moderator
well he did reverse blindly into a stationary cyclist. could have been a pedestrian crossing or a car a little too close etc. silly mistake but just have to see what happens.

cyclist could have injuries from the fall and damage to the bike. anything else he is a chancer most likely but never know, cyclists are pretty vulnerable.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
well he did reverse blindly into a stationary cyclist. could have been a pedestrian crossing or a car a little too close etc. silly mistake but just have to see what happens.
cyclist could have injuries from the fall and damage to the bike. anything else he is a chancer most likely but never know, cyclists are pretty vulnerable.
He didn't blindly reverse, he used his mirrors.
But I doubt it matters. It just means it's his word against his. But if that's the case would he be better to just deny everything and hope for the best ? I mean the guy basically fell over from a standing position.

pablo

RMS Moderator
He didn't blindly reverse, he used his mirrors.
But I doubt it matters. It just means it's his word against his. But if that's the case would he be better to just deny everything and hope for the best ? I mean the guy basically fell over from a standing position.

well he obviously did if he hit a cyclist. no-one expects a van to reverse at a stopped light.

and why deny it? especially with witnesses? man up and accept responsibility for a mistake.

Deleted member 13907

D
How far behind the van would the cyclist have had to have been, for the driver to see him in his mirrors?
At a guess (assuming it's a pretty big van, like a Master or Sprinter and the cyclist is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 the width of the van in from the edge) I would say pretty far?
What I'm saying is, if the cyclist was sitting as close behind the van as a car would be generally sitting in heavy traffic, the van driver wouldn't have seen him - it doesn't mean he was 'right up his bumper'
To me it sounds like the cyclist did nothing wrong and was struck by a large vehicle reversing blindly (yes, blindly because the driver couldn't be sure if there was anyone in his blind spot directly behind the van) into him.
I know if it happened to me, I would have been raging. Although to be fair, I wouldn't have been putting a claim in, unless my bike was wrecked or something.
Remember that a 'minor bump' to the van driver could have been anything but minor to the cyclist.
I'm sure the van driver didn't intend to cause anyone any harm (in fact it sounds like he was trying to be helpful) - it was an accident - but that's what insurance is there for.

johnm

RMS Regular
He'll get shafted if there are no witnesses. I'm presuming if it was heavy traffic he wouldn't have far to reverse. Why was the cyclist up his hole though, and not filtering up to the front like they all do? Seem's a bit dodgy if you ask me. Any chance of CCTV? Did he cycle away, proving no damage to the bike?

Couple of years back just outside queens when I was heading to work, there was clio in front of me, was lightly raining). Clio moved off & the cyclist cut across like he had a yellow jacket on but the clio was slower and the cyclist bumped/ nudged the clio and down he went. I sat in the car until more people came over and seen him pointing at the clio driver so I got out and told him and everyone else what actually happened. He quickly got on his bike and facked off.

PhilM

RMS Regular
I'm unlikely to ever be mistaken for someone with any unmerited inclination for grace towards a cyclist.

This instance sounds like your pals fault. It was unlikely there would be something in his blind spot perhaps, but as the scenario proves it wasn't impossible.

If you reverse into something, you just gotta deal with the consequences. If the lad is taking the hand out of ya with a claim or whatever then it's harder to swallow but you still don't have much choice.

Phil

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Got wiped out by a jeep when I was cycling. Was lucky to walk (hobble) away.
Bike was wrecked.

The driver took my bike away and got it fixed.
End of story.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Some cyclists don't filter to the front of traiffic lights if it doesn't make sense to do so or if the road is just too tight or traffic too heavy to do it safely. The story is pretty clear cut, he hit a cyclist. i'm pretty sure if the cyclist could've got out of the way, he would have. Its fairly easy to bruise a hip or sprain a wrist just going over on a bike unexpectedly. Still, the OP even himself stated that the phonecall didn't specify what exactly the cyclist was claiming. If there was one single scratch on his bike or on himself that wasn't there before the incident, then he has every right to pursue it. I see that pervasive attitude amongst motorists that cyclists somehow don't have the same rights or deserve fair treatment on the roads is alive and well in this thread.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How far behind the van would the cyclist have had to have been, for the driver to see him in his mirrors?
At a guess (assuming it's a pretty big van, like a Master or Sprinter and the cyclist is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 the width of the van in from the edge) I would say pretty far?
What I'm saying is, if the cyclist was sitting as close behind the van as a car would be generally sitting in heavy traffic, the van driver wouldn't have seen him - it doesn't mean he was 'right up his bumper'
To me it sounds like the cyclist did nothing wrong and was struck by a large vehicle reversing blindly (yes, blindly because the driver couldn't be sure if there was anyone in his blind spot directly behind the van) into him.
I know if it happened to me, I would have been raging. Although to be fair, I wouldn't have been putting a claim in, unless my bike was wrecked or something.
Remember that a 'minor bump' to the van driver could have been anything but minor to the cyclist.
I'm sure the van driver didn't intend to cause anyone any harm (in fact it sounds like he was trying to be helpful) - it was an accident - but that's what insurance is there for.

Cyclists deliberately moving into obvious blind spots with large vehicles is them doing nothing wrong ?? It's very wrong and very bloody stupid.

Of course you also dont expect vehicles to move back when at lights...but it can happen. But to deliberately hide in the blind spot of a large vehicle...rarely ends well for a pedestrian, cyclist, biker etc. A little common sense goes a long way.

It would have taken the cyclist no effort whatsoever to stop in a position where he could see in front of him, and also in view of the vans mirrors.

Deleted member 13907

D
Cyclists deliberately moving into obvious blind spots with large vehicles is them doing nothing wrong ?? It's very wrong and very bloody stupid.

Of course you also dont expect vehicles to move back when at lights...but it can happen. But to deliberately hide in the blind spot of a large vehicle...rarely ends well for a pedestrian, cyclist, biker etc. A little common sense goes a long way.

It would have taken the cyclist no effort whatsoever to stop in a position where he could see in front of him, and also in view of the vans mirrors.

I can picture the scene - heavy traffic, moving slowly. Cyclist sees a large vehicle in front - perfect hiding place! He quickly manoeuvres across the lane and stops the bike 10mm off the back bumper of the van - job done.

Or maybe, it was a narrow street (as you say) and the cyclist was somewhere up to 1.5m from the kerb (as per guidelines) and traffic grinds to a halt. Realistically the cyclist could potentially need to be several metres back for the van driver to see him.
Typical though - a cyclist filters down the side and they are in the wrong, or they sit in the traffic and they are still in the wrong. Where would you prefer the cyclist to sit (other than in a car)?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.