DAB Headunit, worth the hassle?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So I'm going to be upgrading the ICE in the Clio and I've been looking at DAB single din headunits. The difficulty is the aerial, trying to get one that doesn't look truly awful but that will still work effectively.

Before I go to the hassle and expense, are they really worth it?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Do you tend to listen to a lot of DAB as it is?

Pretty much all the cars i review have DAB and it is great as i get BBC radio 6 as well as downtown country, but when in my own car i am happy with either the ipod or bbc radio 2

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Nope, I have no access to anything DAB currently. But in Newtownabbey the ordinary FM signal is poor, for Cool FM anyway and I was wondering if this would improve it?

Some of the second hand units seem cheap which is why I'm interested

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
then sir requires one of these.......
PIONEER Car Radio Stereo Digital DAB + Aerial Antenna Splitter CT27AA136
Get the right one for Sir's head unit though or Sir will buy twice

If DAB can be received in the house, you can more than likely get it in the car.

I can let you compare fm with DAB in my car if you like...... let me know
I'm looking at a Kenwood unit that's located near to me, but I've no idea if my standard aerial is an amplified one or not?

And yes I've to get back to you on when I can meet up for that other stuff

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I'm looking at a Kenwood unit that's located near to me, but I've no idea if my standard aerial is an amplified one or not?

And yes I've to get back to you on when I can meet up for that other stuff

the Clio won't have an amplified antenna as standard.
No hurry on the audio gear, I quite like it!!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Nope, I have no access to anything DAB currently. But in Newtownabbey the ordinary FM signal is poor, for Cool FM anyway and I was wondering if this would improve it?

Some of the second hand units seem cheap which is why I'm interested
area's with poor FM will tend to have zero DAB

wife would listen to planet rock in her car and unless in a big city the signal ain't too great, and thats a factory fitted unit

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I find it great for driving longer distances because it doesn't need to re-tune. The black spots annoy me when I'm listening to talk radio and some of them last maybe 1/4 mile. I listen to BBC R6 occasionally, but if my car didn't have DAB I don't think I'd be all that bothered to be honest.

colin84

RMS Regular
I remember reading something about radio changing to all digital in the next few years, same as the TV.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
area's with poor FM will tend to have zero DAB

wife would listen to planet rock in her car and unless in a big city the signal ain't too great, and thats a factory fitted unit
Ah! Really? Hmm, possibly not worth the hassle then! Seems to be a black spot where I live and down this side of the mountain when going down the M2.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Put an aftermarket DAB unit into the mini with a windscreen mounted antenna and it was brilliant. Signal just as strong as the OEM setup in the A4.

I rarely venture outside of the city but I don't remember ever having reception problems up the M2 or round Sandyknowes area tbh. Kinda stopped working about 2/3 the way down the M1 and about Newry direction.

Worth it for absolute 80's alone :p

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I remember reading something about radio changing to all digital in the next few years, same as the TV.
the powers that be have been trying to switch the old analogue system off for years now - but are waiting until there is enough demand for DAB. Early public awareness campaigns, urging people to switch were fluffed - I vote that we just switch off and let the people buy a DAB unit - what could be simpler?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Put an aftermarket DAB unit into the mini with a windscreen mounted antenna and it was brilliant. Signal just as strong as the OEM setup in the A4.

I rarely venture outside of the city but I don't remember ever having reception problems up the M2 or round Sandyknowes area tbh. Kinda stopped working about 2/3 the way down the M1 and about Newry direction.

Worth it for absolute 80's alone :p

Absolute 80's is what I've on most of the time. Don't listen to any local stations now since I got DAB.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
the powers that be have been trying to switch the old analogue system off for years now - but are waiting until there is enough demand for DAB. Early public awareness campaigns, urging people to switch were fluffed - I vote that we just switch off and let the people buy a DAB unit - what could be simpler?
Yea that's what I thought, maybe get one then before the hype kicks in and prices go up again lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Never had any bother with either factory fitted or aftermarket signal, and we live in the sticks.

I don't have dab in either the TT or X5 and really miss it, it's fantastic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Tbh Bluetooth streaming is where it's at for me now. I used DAB about 10% of the time and Bluetooth streams the rest of the time. Needs a decent data allowance but works great. Absolutely seemless, just hop into the car and your favourite digital radio station starts right up playing (android). Plus with a subscription service, no adverts (which drive me absolutely mad)

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Never had any bother with either factory fitted or aftermarket signal, and we live in the sticks.

I don't have dab in either the TT or X5 and really miss it, it's fantastic.
That is odd, i have yet to experience DAB in any car that doesn't drop out at some point

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Tbh Bluetooth streaming is where it's at for me now. I used DAB about 10% of the time and Bluetooth streams the rest of the time. Needs a decent data allowance but works great. Absolutely seemless, just hop into the car and your favourite digital radio station starts right up playing (android). Plus with a subscription service, no adverts (which drive me absolutely mad)
To be fair if I find a cheap headunit with Bluetooth and DAB I'd most likely be playing the stuff I have stored on my phone as that's where I have all my favourite music.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
DAB black holes round Bangor town centre too. Plus the sound quality isn't as good as FM in my experience. I wouldn't bother. Just get a wee mechless player with aux in or USB/SD slot and/or bluetooth and be done with it.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
So in summary, unless you live in Bangor, go for it.
LOL lots of places with poor signal, some brands worse than others.

It all depends what station you listen to also, the bbc stations seem to work everywhere so I presume have stronger signal

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Kisstory one of my favourites too. If you go with a local station it'll usually flick back & forth between DAB and FM if the signal is weak.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.