Dash Cam Advice

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
I recently changed parking spaces with work and now park in the local church car park beside the office and I'm worried about the locals and their parking skills, I see a fair few dash cams have a parking feature but has anyone any experience of these and recommendations which one to go for.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have a next base one - was top of the range a few years back but it does have parking mode - not sure if its activated or not but my dash cam doesn't seem to come on at all if the engine is off and when it does go off, it lasts next to zero time on the car battery or its own.

Also, when I stop the car, say for fuel, start the car after, the dash cam never powers on. I have to hold the power button for at least 30 seconds to reset it - pain in the ass tbh but it records fine during driving

These all have parking mode

Reactions: crx

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I have used Blackvue DR750S-2CH before, hardwired in with the power magic box. It had the parking function which ran for something like 24-48 hours after the car was switched off if it detected an impact. Decent bit of kit but expensive enough.

crx

RMS Regular
OP
crx
Drives
Honda
I have used Blackvue DR750S-2CH before, hardwired in with the power magic box. It had the parking function which ran for something like 24-48 hours after the car was switched off if it detected an impact. Decent bit of kit but expensive enough.
Just seen the prices 😱

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Just seen the prices 😱
Can pay for itself in one go though. It was someone reversing into my car at Galgorm Hotel that prompted me to get one. The cost to repair and repaint my rear bumper was around the same as the camera, power magic and fitting cost me.

Blackvue also do certified refurbished ones if you search on Google. Can be a decent saving there. I think I still have a power magic unused in the garage if you need one.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’ve had a few Nextbase ones and have never had any bother. A lot more affordable!

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I have a nextbase 222 with parking mode. Works ok. Managed to find a power source too that activates when I unlock the car and stays on for 5 minutes after I lock it so gives me extra footage, then it switches onto 'Sleep' when the 12v input drops off and parking mode is enabled then.

Think it was £70 for the unit, UV glare filter thing and case in a deal a few years back, then around £10 for the hardwire loom

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I have Viofo A129 duo for couple of years now. Cheaper brand but seems ok.
Has parking mode with the buffered recording so after any movement it "rewinds" and records the previous few seconds.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Both my next base dash cam batteries needed replaced after two years, I’m sure they are all as bad. EBay replacement batteries lasted only 6 months and a PITA to solder

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
For a good parking mode, it will either need a very good internal battery, or what some do is offer a wiring kit that uses a smaller external battery to keep it powered up when parked ( ignition off )

Not sure on battery....but a dashcam like this is long overdue.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Worth a mention too, avoid anything that has IR LEDs around the lens. Stupid idea. It's going to illuminate absolutely nothing except glare off the inside of the windscreen.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Same with the BlackVue DR900S-2Ch - excellent bit of kit, only managed to get it due to being with the company 10+ yrs and getting vouchers.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
If you know someone else looking one you could both save a few £ by splitting the discount.
Screenshot_20221110_205057.jpg

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Reactions: dub

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
We both had eBay cheapies for years £20-£30 and tbh the recording quality was grand but they generally just didn’t last

Think she has a nextbase one now and it’s been fitted a long time and just forgot about

Mine was a cheaper variant off Amazon bout £60/70 and it’s been in years seems spot on