Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Think he gave the hazzards because he got flashed. I'd have been in that gap as well, albeit a good bit quicker than the astra decided to do it. He left it very late to pull out.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Hardli a huge gap, what happened to sufficient distance from the car in front? If he was up against the other cars bumper someone would complain.

garyo

RMS Regular
Would probably have taken that gap myself in slow moving traffic, probably would have offered it to the Astra even if only crawling along. Pretty sure they just spun the wheels when jumping for it, had already committed so ploughed on, then flashed the hazards to acknowledge and apologise for their mistake. Still a poor showing though not anticipating or controlling the wheelspin.

KevM

RMS Regular
Iv went for gaps before, but that was extreme. If you look at the start of the vid, that’s how close I was to the car in front at pretty-much standstill. The camera perspective makes the gap look a lot more generous! 😆

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Seen that the other day. Odd the police say 70mph as it's clear the car was only doing around 35-40mph at the point of impact, albeit a little over 60 prior to that.

How he managed to end up in the other lane is a bit of a mystery there as it really doesnt look like much of a bend at all.

Given there are many cases of far worse driving on a daily basis, the prison sentence seems rather unusual. And the BS about drivers with high powered cars bla bla bla.....It isnt a high powered car, and virtually any car could easily do 60mph, the speed limit on that road.
But ultimately yes, almost every crash is down to the drivers abilities, less so the vehicles. Driver must have been very incompetent not to have been able to get around that bend in their own lane. Maybe they do deserve jail...along with many others. And perhaps the law shouldnt wait until these blind incompetent idiots actually cause harm

Although fair play to the biker for being well kitted out with safety gear. He really took a bad hit there. I guess ABS on bikes...what bikes have it, offer no resistance to doing an endo in emergency braking ?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I assumed that was impact speed, the bike is pre ABS. Modern stuff might, never tried it

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Very hard to watch that collision. Looks like on the corner the Subaru got unsettled and that corner definitely looks cornerable at 60 odd

Biker in a wheel chair from what I've read. Thankfully still alive though.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Could still take it at 60 though. I've gone round corners with no lines on the road at all at 60 😒

And I bet there's bikers would do it at 60 too myself included.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Looks like there may have been a bump on the corner, the subaru hit it a with a bit of speed and bounced across the road?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Or just too much speed into a near 90deg blind left?

Scoob1.jpg

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
An ABS bike will do an endo.
ABS only kicks in if the tyre loses grip. The bike does an endo because the tyre does not loose grip.

I don't know if it has ABS or not, but I think its one of the GSXR range, circa mid 2000s maybe?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
ABS only kicks in if the tyre loses grip. The bike does an endo because the tyre does not loose grip.

I don't know if it has ABS or not, but I think its one of the GSXR range, circa mid 2000s maybe?
2007 pre abs GSXR

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It really isnt much of a bend at all. Yellow line is the main road, and the bend is where that green line intersects, heading north. Driver clearly was not paying attention to end up where they did. But I dont see how even a mundane car wouldnt have made it around it in their own lane

subaru bike crash video york2.jpg

Yes, but it would be common sense for any such system, much as EPS and all the various stuff cars get, to be able to detect the rear going light and then reduce braking effort to prevent an endo.
Lets face it....going over the bars in an emergency brake situation is hardly a good outcome if ABS may encourage it.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
He wasn't making the corner regardless of what he was driving.. **** driving all round from the chairman of a driving club :monkey:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Just sayin, the lines aren't painted there for the hell of it.

Yeah usually more paint means more collisions have occurred, that corner might see a rumble strip or that red asphalt stuff being set down in the future

It really isnt much of a bend at all. Yellow line is the main road, and the bend is where that green line intersects, heading north. Driver clearly was not paying attention to end up where they did. But I dont see how even a mundane car wouldnt have made it around it in their own lane

View attachment 262408

Yes, but it would be common sense for any such system, much as EPS and all the various stuff cars get, to be able to detect the rear going light and then reduce braking effort to prevent an endo.
Lets face it....going over the bars in an emergency brake situation is hardly a good outcome if ABS may encourage it.

I think it's actually the green line there which indicates the road, as in the video the car doesn't pass any junctions, there's a lay by type thing on the right at the corner, but further up the road it looks to be a cross road which would indicate the yellow crossing the green

If the green road is to go by then it is at very near a 90° corner

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

View attachment 262408

I don't know for sure but the rider made a hell of a good job of braking as hard as he could. The rear brake in a situation like that is useless anyway. The fact that he braked hard enough to lift the rear and hold it like that in a panic situation means he could not have slowed down any faster.

As for the car, I reckon he was going in too fast. Whatever the total corner angle might have been is not the big issue, it's more to do with the corner radius being small. Or maybe the corner radius wasn't constant; it tightens as it goes around so it fools you and draws you in faster than you should be going.
Plus there's a crest on the corner so the car goes light as well.

Not making excuses for him, especially on a dry road, but it looks like a bend where they should put rumble strips or Shellgrip. There's no references like telegraph poles either.

KevM

RMS Regular
Didn’t know the road, blind corner, not paying attention. He tried to make the corner as it was too late to scrub speed.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, going too fast for the corner or his ability but why does he straighten up instead of dumping it into the field on the RHS? Numpty.