Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

brendy

RMS Regular
You could see the air freshener violently swing before hand I'd say there is a bump and he shot right Immediately while the suspension went light. Still drivers fault for driving beyond his abilities/conditions.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yeah usually more paint means more collisions have occurred, that corner might see a rumble strip or that red asphalt stuff being set down in the future

I think it's actually the green line there which indicates the road, as in the video the car doesn't pass any junctions, there's a lay by type thing on the right at the corner, but further up the road it looks to be a cross road which would indicate the yellow crossing the green

If the green road is to go by then it is at very near a 90° corner

No it isnt, the green line is a county border. The yellow line as always on google earth is the road

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I don't know for sure but the rider made a hell of a good job of braking as hard as he could. The rear brake in a situation like that is useless anyway. The fact that he braked hard enough to lift the rear and hold it like that in a panic situation means he could not have slowed down any faster.

As for the car, I reckon he was going in too fast. Whatever the total corner angle might have been is not the big issue, it's more to do with the corner radius being small. Or maybe the corner radius wasn't constant; it tightens as it goes around so it fools you and draws you in faster than you should be going.
Plus there's a crest on the corner so the car goes light as well.

Not making excuses for him, especially on a dry road, but it looks like a bend where they should put rumble strips or Shellgrip. There's no references like telegraph poles either.

But there isnt always a need to slow down faster. Slowing down and under control so you might be able to steer around something is more important than simply slowing down. Which is the very purpose of ABS. Excessive braking is rarely an answer either.
Although I'd imagine maintaining control of a bike in any emergency situation, especially hard braking with any hope of steering would be incredibly difficult even for a skilled rider.

Ultimately it is the drivers fault, and there's no question he should have been able to get around that bend easily without trying to kill anyone, clearly just another blind incompetent idiot.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Road is fairly normal width, white lined for the majority of the route
bike crash2.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
You could see the air freshener violently swing before hand I'd say there is a bump and he shot right Immediately while the suspension went light. Still drivers fault for driving beyond his abilities/conditions.

Yeah at the slow rate of the video for the air freshener to come across quickly, you can see he must have been on full send

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Seen it a while back, disgusting that someone can witness that occur around them knowing full well it's their fault and just piss off like it's nothing to do with them

They clearly see truck one as they stop moving then again stop turning when truck two slides towards them

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Something similar happened to a friend of mine, that van driver didn't stand a chance of seeing that child, child could have been killed and the van drivers life ruined.
Saw this on Facebook just now and proper shiit my pants. Discretion advised due to a child being involved but looks like all parties were ok...

Reactions: DC.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah thats why I think the big guy in the video points to the driver of the dash cam so it would show the kid came from out of no where

I have the opposite problem, my son darts into the car at the minute when let out of his seat to play in the car!

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
After recent events, I'm wanting to install a front and rear camera. I've no idea where to start, so I'm looking recommendations. I'd also like the footage to continually record, even with the ignition off, if that's possible.

Any pointers on where to start?

Bump for you @Gareth, did you get sorted with something? Looking to install one myself, no idea were to begin!

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Bump for you @Gareth, did you get sorted with something? Looking to install one myself, no idea were to begin!

Yes, I bought a Nextbase 522 kit with front and rear cameras and memory card. Was able to get it for £155 from Very as a new customer during the Black Friday deals. Going to buy a 2nd one now for the other car.

Reactions: dub

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have a NextBase 612W (I think it is), recently got it hardwired but first thing in the morning, it never comes on properly. Just like a lightened blank screen. I have to turn it off by holding the power button for ages, turn it back on instantly and it works fine.

My theory is that it has motion sensing around the car so I am assuming from when I turn the car off at night and until the morning, the camera is running on its own battery and come the morning its dead as a dodo?

What I don't understand is why it doesnt automatically come on when I start the car, is it charging? If so, then why does it come on instantly if I turn it off and on?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Saw this on Facebook just now and proper shiit my pants. Discretion advised due to a child being involved but looks like all parties were ok...

Seems to have been removed, anyone know if it was hosted anywhere else

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Most of these cameras dont really have an internal battery, most use a small capacitor. They usually only need to live after power off for a few minutes at best.

And I've had maybe about 6 different dashcams now....and every one after a few months, that internal battery/capacitor...is ****ed and barely lasts a few seconds

So anyone wanting recording when parked, may need to buy a unit that specifically has some sort of proper battery system to accommodate it.
Yes you could leave it wired direct to car battery...not sure how fast one might drain it though. But doing that, it'll record over the card quite easily in a few hours unless it operates some sort of motion sensor activation instead.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Most of these cameras dont really have an internal battery, most use a small capacitor. They usually only need to live after power off for a few minutes at best.

And I've had maybe about 6 different dashcams now....and every one after a few months, that internal battery/capacitor...is ****ed and barely lasts a few seconds

So anyone wanting recording when parked, may need to buy a unit that specifically has some sort of proper battery system to accommodate it.
Yes you could leave it wired direct to car battery...not sure how fast one might drain it though. But doing that, it'll record over the card quite easily in a few hours unless it operates some sort of motion sensor activation instead.
I used to run a chinese one and it had motion detector when parked up and car turned off. It ran from permanent live off the car and never drained the battery, even sitting for a week at the airport.