Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

daz8161

RMS Regular
Lol you may as well be speaking French. Are there connections I can crimp onto the wires to connect to a fuse tap?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Lol you may as well be speaking French. Are there connections I can crimp onto the wires to connect to a fuse tap?
Yes. Butt connectors. If you have the hardwire kit for parking mode then you also need to make a connection to a permanent live as well as a ign switched live. You could do both with a fuse tap.
Have a google about how to install a fuse tap the right way around so that it actually works when needed. It's easy to put them in the wrong way around.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The way you plug the tap into the fuse box matters. You need to check with a probe or meter to see which side of the fuse socket in the fuse box is live and turn the tap the right way around. If you plug it in the wrong way around you end up with a fuse which is bypassed and won't blow when needed. I think a lot of DIYers completely miss this because they plug in the tap either way around and the device still works fine.

daz8161

RMS Regular
Think I'll leave it to the pros lol. Got chatting to a chap in Bangor and hes going to do it for me tomorrow.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The way you plug the tap into the fuse box matters. You need to check with a probe or meter to see which side of the fuse socket in the fuse box is live and turn the tap the right way around. If you plug it in the wrong way around you end up with a fuse which is bypassed and won't blow when needed. I think a lot of DIYers completely miss this because they plug in the tap either way around and the device still works fine.

Far from my strong point but from what I could make out from my limited experience using these on my own cars, I thought it needed to be a certain way round to stop you running the circuit in series instead of parallel. Stops you overloading the first fuse. Both circuits should be fused though no matter what way you plug it in. Happy to be corrected though as I run a few of these in the cars for various things!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Far from my strong point but from what I could make out from my limited experience using these on my own cars, I thought it needed to be a certain way round to stop you running the circuit in series instead of parallel. Stops you overloading the first fuse. Both circuits should be fused though no matter what way you plug it in. Happy to be corrected though as I run a few of these in the cars for various things!
Yes, you're totally right, I explained it wrong. Its impossible for the current to get to the add on device without going through a fuse. But if you have it in wrong way around, the current to both devices all goes through one fuse. I'll go back and edit that post because its completely wrong.
Mmm, cant delete, been too long.

Last edited:

daz8161

RMS Regular
Thats crazy! Glad I got sorted with my cameras yesterday with plonkers like that on the road!

If anyone needs a camera fitted in the Bangor area, Ollie installed both front and back cameras for me and did a top job!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Thats crazy! Glad I got sorted with my cameras yesterday with plonkers like that on the road!

If anyone needs a camera fitted in the Bangor area, Ollie installed both front and back cameras for me and did a top job!

Ollie is a great fella, did the alarm on my Scooby and I also bought a crashed Toyota Paseo off him years ago that I took the engine out of for a Corolla track car.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
15 yards from a crossing and decides to cross dual carriageway in his phone at a saunter. Guy behind him was about to do the same thing...

Had an old fella look down a two way single carriageway right at me as I was driving towards him. Proceeds onto the road to cross looking dead ahead of him not bothering to check to his sides again, just expecting me to stop for him. Pure ignorance 😡

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
15 yards from a crossing and decides to cross dual carriageway in his phone at a saunter. Guy behind him was about to do the same thing...

Which is why alcohol and phone rules should apply to all road users.

Should be harsh penalties for idiots causing a danger to all involved like that ( not that they'd ever get caught in the first place )

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news

Over the years I’ve seen some mad things on that stretch of ring road from bloomfields to the Springfield flyover.

brendy

RMS Regular
Over the years I’ve seen some mad things on that stretch of ring road from bloomfields to the Springfield flyover.
It's an absolute incident hotspot, seen cars flipped, kids hit, cars sat sideways on the rails etc. They really need to reconfigure that 50 yards of road. Bring the 30 zone in earlier too.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the police don't have him arrested and charged with something very f'ing serious....something is seriously ****ed up.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The chances of the car in front paying any attention if they did try and stop them is unlikely.

I tried to stop a lorry one time after it ejected a set of massive brake shoes from one of the rear wheels of the trailer when I was behind it. He was flat out through Broughshane and onto the M22 to Ballymena
I got well in front at the 7 towers roundabout, stopped and got out to try and wave him down....he just kept it lit around the outside lane. He wasn't stopping for anyone ( maybe brakes didnt work lol...but he wasnt even trying to slow ). The wheel they must have came from was bouncing about all over the place too. No doubt in high risk of disappearing down the road too.