Dealing with interior mould

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I walked past the MX-5 today and noticed mould has started appearing on the seats, seat belts and steering wheel.

It's not too bad yet I want to make sure it's gone.

What's recommended to get rid of it? I

I've a handheld steam cleaner in the house. Would a wipe with APC and a steam clean be enough? take it a face mask should be worn?

I'm not sure how it's even started. I haven't driven the car in a month but I've not been aware of any leaks before now 🤔

RevT

RMS Regular
It’ll usually just wipe off. Set a few wee pots of salt inside the car and it’ll keep it away.

Davey@Procar

RMS Trader
Prob caused by the moisture, i use bio brisk by autosmart to clean this sort of thing it has a cleaner and also a bacteria killer aswell in it.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
If you've a stronger stomach than me, white vinegar and warm water kills it off. Only need a small amount of vinegar, but by **** does it stink😂😂😂

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Poundland sell moisture traps which are pretty good too. I think its 2 or 3 for a quid.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Poundland sell moisture traps which are pretty good too. I think its 2 or 3 for a quid.
I’ve already one of these in the car but it’s covered in mould now too 😂

F00088FF-C3DC-4AB3-8C23-16C7765461E7.jpeg

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Baguettes
My civic was full of mold after lying out the side with a broken alternator for a month (couldnt be arsed looking near it) and I just went and bought demon shine interior cleaner and a scrubbing brush from halfords. Hoovered the mold then gave the interior a good scrub. Seems to be dead on now

mcauleyj

RMS Regular
I used Autobrite Magic Carpet for this in the past - probably similar to the Autosmart stuff mentioned earlier.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Put a little cup of salt crystals somewhere safe, keeps it right all winter

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
White vinegar / water solution to neutralise, then an APC application and steam to clean......and remove vinegar smell.

Try a few socks filled with cat litter as a desiccant to absorb moisture.... budget dehumidifier and work well. Cheap and effective

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Check that heater vents are open and (if manual settings) set to fresh rather than recirc. No leaves stuck under scuttle vents, clean cabin filter and so on.
If stored indoors, crack a window slightly open.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
@Mont my old S3 had an interior leak into the cabin, mould had started to take and the smell was starting to get noticeable.

I fixed the leak, doused everything down using this stuff and dried out, completely killed the smell, i think i picked it up in the local building supplies

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 08.54.59.png