Decat and the Law

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jonny

RMS Regular
any car after 1993 has to have a cat fitted

(well for mot anyway (y) )

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Some cars are still going through MOT without cats - partly because they can't test for a working cat atm as far as i know and only test emmissions.

Cops wise - can't really see Constable plod actually realising it's missing a cat, but as the age old problem goes if you have an aftermarket exhaust and it's not declared it can invalidate insurance yada yada.

stuarty500

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
BMW 330CI
Ive heard that there is a £1k fine for not having a cat. Is there any truth in this?

bludgod

RMS Regular
Drives
STI
well i know im good :grinning: mine '90 rex went straight through with no silencers and no cat on a 4-1 manifold :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
two things:

1. why would you think a decat is legal in any shape or form
2. how is a cop gonna know without getting under your car and looking?

If youre serious get a hiflow cat. If the cats on my car can flow for 300bhp then Im sure there is a cat somewhere that will suit your needs!

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
bludgod said:
well i know im good :grinning: mine '90 rex went straight through with no silencers and no cat on a 4-1 manifold :grinning:

snap (y) and it's done about 3 miles since MOT :oops:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Why, is there a tier system on legality ??

Usually its legal, or illegal.

How do you scale your system ? Like a little bit illegal, and a lot ?

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
ok has to have a cat fitted at the moment, after 1993, though it does not state if your cat has to be filled, or hollow!
the only thing is in a year or so mot centres will all be getting a new toy to check exhausts and cats for baffles etc so that can be the only problem
only other way the law can be done about the cat is by sound restriction, your car or any noise for that can only be at a max of i think it is 99db, but not sure exactly what the figure is
decats are legal, though alot of them state on the boxes not for road use, this is as in japan and america there are more serious laws on environmental etc etc, though when your getting your petrol for 9p a litre i dont think having a cat or not realy matters to them cause if they drink the fuel they can afford it lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Bibby said:
ok has to have a cat fitted at the moment, after 1993, though it does not state if your cat has to be filled, or hollow!
the only thing is in a year or so mot centres will all be getting a new toy to check exhausts and cats for baffles etc so that can be the only problem
only other way the law can be done about the cat is by sound restriction, your car or any noise for that can only be at a max of i think it is 99db, but not sure exactly what the figure is
decats are legal, though alot of them state on the boxes not for road use, this is as in japan and america there are more serious laws on environmental etc etc, though when your getting your petrol for 9p a litre i dont think having a cat or not realy matters to them cause if they drink the fuel they can afford it lol

What a load of cock.

After 1 march 2006, virtually any car made after 1 Aug 1992 will not be able to pass the MOT without a CAT. No petrol engine made is capable of meeting the emissions requirements laid down without the use of a catalytic convertor.

Plain and simple.

People can waffle around that any way they like, and dream up ideas about gutting their cats trying to fool people. Do you think thats going to fool a 5 gas analyser, that doesnt give a toss what the exhaust system looks like ?
All it cares about is what is coming out the tailpipe.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
i think the actual thing your looking for is, the mot centres will have what is known as not only a 5 gas analyser, but a nox analyser as this is what the problem is, nox is what is formed from unburnt fuel,
every car will have to below .1 on this, and toyotas are ahead of the game yarises being at 0.01 etc etc
all due to exhaust gas recirculation, cause then it is getting a second attempt at burning the unburnt fuel,
only bad thing is egr means you lose power on your engine

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Its still primarily HCC and CO emissions which are unburnt fuel and carbon monoxide, and these are still the main components of the test. Not nitrous oxide emissons.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
NOX is nitrogen oxide. And since nitrogen oxide is associated with health problems, they're going to be trying to reduce it, alot

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
stevieturbo said:
Its still primarily HCC and CO emissions which are unburnt fuel and carbon monoxide, and these are still the main components of the test. Not nitrous oxide emissons.

thats what the gas analysers at the moment pick up, only recently have they found out a way that by machine they can calculate accuratly the nox in exhaust fumes, hence why the gas analyser test is going to be getting alot lot stricter soon, i have all the paperwork sent to toyota dealers here somewhere on it, toyota sent it out as a boast almost as they were so much under the legal requirement and other manufacturers ie bmw etc etc in the same categories of cars could not get close

toyota and vauxhall are merging in an engine building plan! cause toyota has the cleanest burning engines and best hybrid, they have swapped their hybrid system and engine, for vauxhalls amazing mpg, so it will be excelent, great mpg and clean burning cars

not the first time toyota and vauxhall have merged either for something!
the nova was designed by toyota, and the plans were swapped with vauxhall for something, but i will leave you's guessing as to what that was! toyota and vauxhall's history and ideas 1981 and 1982 will help you's all work it out

t190uk

RMS Regular
I made the cat on my 93 mondeo hollow passed Mot no problem it still looked as if the cat was there but it had nothing inside it. But as stated above there is a new test coming out at MOT to see whether the cat is working properly or not so this is where you could have problems.

stuarty500

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
BMW 330CI
Its not there im worried about because I can put cat back on for mot. Its wat the cops would do if they found out i.e. when the mot men are with them.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
most the cops will do is ask you to get an enforcement test done on your car through the mot centre
they are certianl not going to get down on their hands and knees and take a look under!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.