Decent mig for car bodywork

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Seems to be a minefield but need something decent for welding light guage stuff. It won't be used for anything other than car bodywork. One that can run both gas and gasless would be ideal as I will be welding outdoors occasionally. It wouldn't be getting it's arse kicked usage wise. Something decent sub £500 would be ideal.

Any recommendations?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Look at an R Tech inverter welder. Much more control over power than a standard 1-6 dial on most MIG’s, and a fantastic warranty on them too.

I sold my Sealey MightyMIG to replace it with an R Tech 180amp and it’s 1 of the best tool purchases I’ve ever made.

@PeteMoore should no doubt be along to echo that recommendation.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Also bought an Rtech , went for the 250, I don't do much but it's more than capable

Bought it on one of their 10% off events and then used klarna 0% to spread the cost.

They also often have demo / shop soiled units available a bit of a discount

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Try and get something that goes down low on the amps if all you are doing is bodywork.

General consensus is to forget about gasless for bodywork as it runs too hot. If you have to weld outside then make something to shield your gas from blowing away.

Get yourself over to the mig-welding forum for more advice on different machines.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Thanks guys. That r-tech one seems to be the job and goes down to 30amp. Will go for that one.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
001-439c2716-058a-44a7-b6bd-09fa111a0090_NEC-Discount-Code.jpg

@BobSpounge if its not too late