Demister lines on rear window

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
So I noticed my car has 2 or 3 broken demister lines on the rear window, made more obvious with the dark tint. It possibly happened when the glass was tinted by the previous owner.

Is there any way I can get these orange lines fixed? Or would the only solution be a new rear screen?

thanks

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Used to be little bottles of conductive paint available that you painted on to bridge the gaps. Don't know if still a thing or not.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Used to be little bottles of conductive paint available that you painted on to bridge the gaps. Don't know if still a thing or not.

Still available, but last time I seen one being used it was a different colour to the oem lines on the window. Like silver or grey lol.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Presumably you'd need to take the tint off to sort them too

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Cheers think that repair kit does silver lines not orange.

considering the possibility of a new screen, wonder would it be covered in my glass cover ^o)

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Cheers think that repair kit does silver lines not orange.

considering the possibility of a new screen, wonder would it be covered in my glass cover ^o)
Engineering-Bricks-Class-B-Red-Engineering-Brick-65mm_GPID_1100340048_00.jpeg

That's the only way it'll be covered

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayman S
I pulled the limo tint off my car and wrecked the demister. I tried that conductive paint and it was an absolute mission. I think it would work for missing bits up to around 5mm long but mine were about 30mm and it was a melt. Ended up just wiping it off again and giving it up as a bad job.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I pulled the limo tint off my car and wrecked the demister. I tried that conductive paint and it was an absolute mission. I think it would work for missing bits up to around 5mm long but mine were about 30mm and it was a melt. Ended up just wiping it off again and giving it up as a bad job.
Would taping the line in similar style of when painting in your house maybe help? In a similar position to what you mention,aybe even some longer bits.

Do these things actually work then?!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I started taking the tint of the rear screen on the Sharan after I got it, and wrecked a few of the lines while doing it.

Booked a replacement screen through insurance as it "cracked". Word of warning there, as the fitter explained rear screens don't crack they shatter, and when you book the appointment a rear screen is an emergency.
I didn't get time to "crack" mine before the fitter came out - thankfully I knew him and he replaced it anyway!!

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Tempered glass, will blow into millions of pieces. You may be lucky and the tint will hold some of it, if you use a glass punch in a bottom corner and break in a controlled manner.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I had a rear screen shatter on a Merc, thankfully it was tinted and it held even when driving lol

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Is there a tried and tested way to avoid doing this when removing a tint? My car came with limo tints in the rear and it's too dark for my liking, especially on a black car. I want to remove them but don't want to wreck the demister. Is heat the best way, heat up the window with demister and car heaters blasting for a while, or is there a better way? Maybe I should just get a professional to it and replace with a couple of shades lighter?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Have a couple of broken lines on the 107 where someone has removed a dealer sticker. Anyone managed to do a successful repair on this?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I tried with Visbella repair kit which is meant to be decent. Utter load of ballix imo. I reckon if the lines are only broken with a fine nick you might get away with it, if there is anything more (which the ones on the o/h motor were) half of it doesnt stick or even if it does few even worked again.

Also if you get a earbud to use to dab the liquid on i thought it made a bigger mess and absorbed a lot of moisture, would maybe try an artists brush if i were to bother again.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I tried with Visbella repair kit which is meant to be decent. Utter load of ballix imo. I reckon if the lines are only broken with a fine nick you might get away with it, if there is anything more (which the ones on the o/h motor were) half of it doesnt stick or even if it does few even worked again.

Also if you get a earbud to use to dab the liquid on i thought it made a bigger mess and absorbed a lot of moisture, would maybe try an artists brush if i were to bother again.
The Permatex one seems to get decent reviews. It’s £27 though as it has the tab repair kit included. I only want the paint