Detailing Guides: Swirl Removal,Basic Car Washing Guide, ETC ETC

DanN92

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2 Polo 16v
I found Detailing World extremely helpful when reading up on polishing guides..it's where I have learned everything from!

Some really useful guides on both DA and Rotary polishing with tips on speeds, passes etc

I'd strongly recommend DW for anyone who has a passion in keeping their car clean..really helpful bunch of people on it with a lot of experience on using different brands

Due to reading up on the Rotary guide in great depth I purchased myself the 3M rotary with the 3M perfect-it III polishes and pads

Have polished my own car and a couple of others and really enjoying it..doing a few mates cars etc as I am beginning to get more confident when using the machine and getting better results every time..it's time consuming but worth it in the long run

Luckily I got runner-up show and shine last year at Dubshed so my work must be a pretty decent standard

Wanting to get into the detailing a lot more in the following months. It's more of a hobby at the moment on the side between university and work but would like to make a few pound at it in the long run. Looking into getting a small shed and starting from there

DanN92

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2 Polo 16v
Yes I know there's a lot of competition here in NI and some very very good detailers

I need a good sized shed/garage anyway to keep my car and cleaning equipment in so if nothing comes of it i'm not too worried :grinning:

I'd be happy to just do a few friends/family members cars as I enjoy doing it more than anything but as I said, if I make a few pound at it then it's a win win situation for me!

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
All I can say is good luck lol its not an easy market here in NI.

Truer words were never spoken! The mentality of the people over here is totally different to the UK and the people are just not educated enough in the level of work that takes place and the time it takes. I done it for many years, but as the other guys will tell you, you will get plenty of £50-80 'Valets', but people looking to go the whole nine yards are a lot less plentiful...

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
That exactly it, plus there are so many guys here that do it at the weekend for a few quid and it makes it hard to compete, regardless of the massive difference in the level of work.

Still I wouldn't change it, I have worked hard and started to establish myself and nothing beats seeing a customers jaw hit the floor when they come to collect their car lol

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
and nothing beats seeing a customers jaw hit the floor when they come to collect their car lol

Yeah, it's class. I done a Ferrari Mondial a few months back and the guy was going to get it resprayed. I told him to give me a go 1st and it did come up very well. You can actually see the quiver go up there spine, especially when they catch the 1st glimpse...

Boksic

RMS Regular
Anybody recommend someone for a quick detail in Ballymena area. Black car, been washed badly for years by looks of it, plenty of swirls. Still looks like it can be sorted handy enough but I haven't the time. Have a thing of auto Glym super resin polish here and some wax of some sorts but would rather throw someone a few quid and me forget about it! Saab 9 3 for gauge of size/price.
Cheers lads!!

Murf

RMS Regular
Drives
st3 mk3 ecoboost
IMG_20140531_205754.jpg
Auto glyms not to bad.. and fairly priced product. I use it.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Super resin wont get rid of them it will just hide them. You need something abrasive. I like poorboys ssr2.5.

soupyrachel

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini Cooper S
Bought a DA last year and still haven't used it cause I lack the confidence to. Scared ill do damage.
After I wash the car what's the next step to prep the car for a go with the DA?

nath21

RMS Regular
Drives
vw polo
im not a detailer but im pretty fussy when it comes to polishing paint , so if anyone has any questions im happy to help , just tag me in the question and being a helpful rmser il do my best ...

20130226_120826_zpsc05ec332.jpg

purely paint cleaned then medium hex pad with 3m ultrafina at 3/4 speed . approx 3 hours

5 years old this year paint condition before 5/10 after 8/10

would also like to point out this is purely a help offering , i dont need any bookings and im most deffo not touting for business.
I'm looking my car done can you give me a price cheers?

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Cloudy headlamps has anyone got a guide or product to use?
Seen 1 guide. Rub them down with 800/1000/2000 grit sandpaper. What do I apply after this? Wax ok to protect them?

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Silly, fundamental question time.

I have a new car, that came fully machine polished and immaculate. After three weeks the car is now caked in dirt.

Futile Iat this time of yeart, but I want to clean it. I have used the "two bucket" method in the past, with Meguairs Gold Class shampoo, and it is a bloody waste of time - the swirls came regardless.

I don't have a foam lance or pressure washer. Just a hose with a spray gun attachment, buckets, lambswool wash mitts, and shampoo.

So what way would you fussy folk tackle this in order to keep the lovely paintwork swirlfree?

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
Even go the closest garage first and pressure wash off as much as you can, obviously don’t use the brush. You could buy a load of cheap eBay mitts and don’t put them back in the wash bucket after they’ve touched a panel or two. Drying it is the swirl inflictor.