Detailing Guides: Swirl Removal,Basic Car Washing Guide, ETC ETC

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I have a power washer and want to buy a foam lance - the connection looks like a Karcher fitting but my machine is some random make. Will a karcher fitting work or do I need a new machine?

Thanks
if it looks like a normal archer fitting it should.

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 11.35.06.png

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
It does alright, I was actually on your website and wanted to order one but need to check the fitting first.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
Yeah, just noticed that. Might just buy a new pressure washer - not sure what to do.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Haven't watched his videos in a long time, seems a very paid promotion video? Bottle wouldn't last two cars with the amount used, I'd be interested in the longevity without recleaning.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Also, how clean do you want your tyres anyway :joy:

I tend to use Cleanse, scrub the tyres, wash then completely dry. If any residue is left over after the initial wash, wipe round it with tar/tardis then apply dressing. Lasts a lot longer

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Also, how clean do you want your tyres anyway :joy:

I tend to use Cleanse, scrub the tyres, wash then completely dry. If any residue is left over after the initial wash, wipe round it with tar/tardis then apply dressing. Lasts a lot longer
What was that glass polish you recommended that you used on your doorbell lol want it for the velux windows 🤣

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Ok guys, got some Autoglym Polar Seal to try as it was for a v good price (for handiness over winter)

Question is, can i just wash the car normally between monthly applications i.e. articulate, snowfoam etc? Does it degrade the water repelling properties?

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
I would use coatit from autoglym for sheer handiness and it works pretty well (actually great on the front windscreen as a rain repellent) it's the pro version of polar seal but I'd imagine there's not much difference or any in them.

I'm not sure how aggressive articulate would be on it but the likes of a tfr would degrade it pretty quickly. It only lasts a few weeks but usually a snow foam over the top does good enough as a pre wash for regular maintenance then a quick top up say every 3rd week over the winter

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Articulate is a lsp safe pre wash.

Polar seal is only intended for a few weeks between coats really, but as its so easy to top off through a foam cannon I'd just continue wiht your usual wash technique

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Thanks guys.

Another stupid question as I'm new to this! What's the difference between a cheap combined wash/wax and a dedicated shampoo. I assume the overall quality of the product would be better especially for a car that is detailed however is there any real difference/benefit for a daily motor that's not ceramic coated/waxed etc?

Not being funny, it's a genuine question.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Thanks guys.

Another stupid question as I'm new to this! What's the difference between a cheap combined wash/wax and a dedicated shampoo. I assume the overall quality of the product would be better especially for a car that is detailed however is there any real difference/benefit for a daily motor that's not ceramic coated/waxed etc?

Not being funny, it's a genuine question.
It’s exactly as you’ve described

a cheap wash / wax will be full of fillers, carnuba wax and any manner of things which are fine on regular cars or for people who don’t add waxes; sealants etc.

a pure shampoo won’t fill the pores and make it clog in the same manner

TL : DR

just use a high quality pure shampoo if you‘re adding waxes / sealants

DJMCA

RMS Regular
@Big Pimp have you any plastic products that dont whiten when washed?

Currently when i wash the motor using articulate, ultrafoam etc my plastics are bleached white. I retreat them (autoglym bumper and trim gel) but would like something more durable

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Autoglym trim and bumper gel washes off everytime you wash the car too. It doesn't last, I use it the odd time and find it stains with water marks quite abit also. Just not a great lasting product

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@Big Pimp have you any plastic products that dont whiten when washed?

Currently when i wash the motor using articulate, ultrafoam etc my plastics are bleached white. I retreat them (autoglym bumper and trim gel) but would like something more durable

Ross does have a trim restorer that works very well. I've also used the recently launched 'Plasticoat' from Infinity Wax that you can get from @Davey@Procar and it also works very well.

I use Plasticoat on my Ducati as it keeps the engine covers looking like new and it's also got hydrophobic properties too. My Mk5 Golf rear bumper got Ross' restorer and I just top it up with Plasticoat now.

Like everything, preparing the the surface is more important that coating it. There are also longer lasting restorers available like GTechniq C4 or the likes.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Ordered the plastic coat as recommended @Gareth , thanks or that. Seems to be more durable and doesnt mark/run the way the autoglym stuff does.

Only issue is that on smooth plastic it gives a nice shine but on the textured stuff its dull and not as black. I did wash all my plastics with Articulate first before applying. Tried 2 or 3 coats as well

Might try the C4 and then plastic coat over it?

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
IMG_8539.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

The wing on the XJR has loads of scratches in random directions, no idea what could have caused it. I’ve never ‘buffed’ a car before, I’ve g3 cutting compound and a load of polishes in the garage. Do they look like something a DA polisher would take out?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Does a finger nail catch the edge? If so, then no but you could vastly improve it

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Nah they arent that deep, theres ones above it that look almost like scratches/dents when the paint was still soft - or its just a bad paintjob on that wing.