Detailing - Polish and ceramic, what would you expect to pay?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Well yes, depending on how long you will keep the car is a big factor, as is how the car is maintained.
But your quarter of the price wax, will likely only last a quarter of the time of a professional coating at best I'd say.
I'm not disputing that, however if there is good washing technique and maintainence, then realistically you shouldn't be needing a full paint correction everytime the car needs waxed which would also reduce the cost.

Both methods have their positives and negatives.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
90% of people couldn’t tell the difference between a £150 detail and a £800 detail is the reality of it.

My in laws are a case in point. Took their car down, quick wash, run over with Auto Glym, cleaned windows, dressed plastics and tyres and they thought it was a new car.
Took just over an hour - I could have spent days claying, detarring, waxing etc, but you get 80% of the look for about 20% of the work, and Joe Public are happy with that.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
90% of people couldn’t tell the difference between a £150 detail and a £800 detail is the reality of it.

Thats partly my point, how do you know your detailer hasn’t charged you £800 for a £150 job.

I totally agree with you, unless a car needs significant correction which anyone can see if it has or hasn’t been done.

most people will be unable to tell the difference between a ceramic coating vs a good wax on a car. However there is a significant cost difference between both

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Thats partly my point, how do you know your detailer hasn’t charged you £800 for a £150 job.

I totally agree with you, unless a car needs significant correction which anyone can see if it has or hasn’t been done.

most people will be unable to tell the difference between a ceramic coating vs a good wax on a car. However there is a significant cost difference between both

For the very few cars that I've corrected, I've always kept the car owners up to date with regular photos and information to let them see the work being carried out.

Something simple keeps them engaged during the whole process and let's them see the value they are getting.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Well yes, depending on how long you will keep the car is a big factor, as is how the car is maintained.
But your quarter of the price wax, will likely only last a quarter of the time of a professional coating at best I'd say.
Some professional coatings only last 6-12 weeks.some last 5+ years.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Some professional coatings only last 6-12 weeks.some last 5+ years.
6 - 12 weeks isn't a professionally applied ceramic coating.
Sure Gtechiq easy coat says it can last up to 3 months.

Last edited:

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I will throw my two cents in aswell…

I have been fully mobile for a few months now. I currently offer a paint enhancement package for £150 as an introductory offer until the end of the month (doesn’t include a ‘ceramic coating’ and I’m not Antrim so don’t think the OP is referring to me). Why so cheap? I would like to carry out more of this type of work to go along with the regular maintenance, valeting work I carry out and need a portfolio of work to show potential customers.

I think we need to remember that most people don’t want to/haven’t got the budget to spend several hundreds on the above. I carry out a service which is hassle free for the customer, includes a report of paint depths (should they want it sent to them) and a test spot is carried out to manage expectations

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to be working from a unit but Rome wasn’t built in a day as they say and one of the UK’s best, Jim White (White Details) started out machine polishing on people driveways so we all start somewhere.

Empty your inbox please!

Thanks,
G

Dave..

RMS Regular
I will throw my two cents in aswell…

I have been fully mobile for a few months now. I currently offer a paint enhancement package for £150 as an introductory offer until the end of the month (doesn’t include a ‘ceramic coating’ and I’m not Antrim so don’t think the OP is referring to me). Why so cheap? I would like to carry out more of this type of work to go along with the regular maintenance, valeting work I carry out and need a portfolio of work to show potential customers.

I think we need to remember that most people don’t want to/haven’t got the budget to spend several hundreds on the above. I carry out a service which is hassle free for the customer, includes a report of paint depths (should they want it sent to them) and a test spot is carried out to manage expectations

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to be working from a unit but Rome wasn’t built in a day as they say and one of the UK’s best, Jim White (White Details) started out machine polishing on people driveways so we all start somewhere.
You are doing a great job @Eddie_
You have cleaned some lovely cars.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Surely too, you need to draw a line under it all and apply common sense. It’s a car, out in dirt dust road debris and everything else. Is it really worth the hassle trying to keep it mint ? A quick wash keeps it acceptable and just as clean as any other car after 15 minutes on a dirty road no matter what coating