Disputing at tax fine

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Anyone know what the chances are of getting let off a fine for no tax?
Sister in law tried to tax car online and it wouldn't let her as the insurance hadn't been updated. She had to drive to local post office the next morning and do it, however she was unlucky enough to get caught driving to the Post Office. Got the letter out stating she had been caught 4 minutes before the time on the receipt.
Is there any point writing a letter in to see if she can get away with it, or just suck it up as bad luck?

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Was wondering if it was just going to be a case of computer says no, and thats it, or does someone with a bit of sense actually look into it.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Tax it and she'll obviously pay the back tax so all square with the house.

They send you some free toilet paper for a while...

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Give it a shot. Embellish the story a bit too. She's 8 1/2 months pregnant, right?

KevM

RMS Regular
Point out that she didn't pay a pro-rata on the first month, so the car was back taxed to the 1st anyway

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
What does the letter say??

The father got one last January as I was caught driving in omagh without tax by the roadside camera, was the fathers car I had borrowed and never thought about the tax. Turns out it hadn't been taxed for the last 6 months.

I went online to tax it, would only tax it to the beginning of the month (January) so did that and haven't heard anything since.

Charlieboyoo

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3 bmw M240i
What does the letter say??

The father got one last January as I was caught driving in omagh without tax by the roadside camera, was the fathers car I had borrowed and never thought about the tax. Turns out it hadn't been taxed for the last 6 months.

I went online to tax it, would only tax it to the beginning of the month (January) so did that and haven't heard anything since.
Brilliant.i got done years ago.bought an Impreza and some scumbag in my street reported me for not taxing the car.only had it a day.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
This happened to me a few years ago, sadly you haven't a leg to stand on cos the car shouldn't be on the road without tax unless its going to or from an MOT test. I tried to fight it, got nowhere and just had to suck it up in the end.

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Have the letter away to see what happens, no word back yet. Honestly not holding much hope, but you have to give it a go!

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Just to update this, letter didn't work, black and white that it was taxed after it was caught on the road, so fine still stands. Was worth a shot anyway!

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Just to update this, letter didn't work, black and white that it was taxed after it was caught on the road, so fine still stands. Was worth a shot anyway!

This is when you start to ignore them. They soon get bored

Porter

RMS Regular
Not too bad. I just got one saying I was caught driving with no tax. Checked and it ran out end of Feb, but I was paying by dd and the gov website says it renews automatically... Mine didn't. Not too bad then least it's not the £1000 the letter makes it out to be!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.