Dmur197 's Detailing hobby

Dmur197

RMS Regular
I have been detailing and doing some paint correction work at a weekend warrior level for over 7 years now, it has become a favourite hobby of mine and I enjoy the opportunity to work on friend's/family's cars, but I have very rarely documented the process to look back on. So the purpose of this thread is to keep some of my favourites in one place to look back on, and for anyone else to look at so they can ask questions about what I've done, or to make suggestions of things I can do differently. I know I can spend hours reading through and watching professional detailers work, so hopefully somebody might enjoy reading through this thread and start a discussion on products/techniques once it gets a bit longer.

I would like to point out this is not a 'how to' or an advertisement, this is not a business. Simply me recording any cars that I am lucky enough to enjoy my hobby on.

Also this thread will be pic heavy (hopefully)

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
To kick things off, I was given the keys to this Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 35 at the start of the week. The owner said he wanted it to have a paint decontamination, paint correction, interior clean and a leather treatment.

IMG_2112.jpg

Here are a few pictures showing how I received the car, not the dirtiest car in the world but still plenty of work to do to it.

image00003.jpeg
image00002.jpeg
image00001.jpeg

First off I gave it a thorough snow foam to remove as much dirt as possible, as that sat on the car I went round with a brush to all the intricate areas such as the badges and grills etc.

image00005.jpeg
image00006.jpeg
image00009.jpeg
image00010.jpeg
image00007.jpeg

After it was washed and de-tared, I brought it inside to dry it off before getting it clayed and masked up before the inspection for me to see what it would need. The owner gave me free rein, telling me to give it whatever it needs and that I could have it for as long as required which was great.

image00013.jpeg

With the paintwork now contaminate free, I began the cutting and refining.

image00023.jpeg
image00016.jpeg
image00017.jpeg
image00020.jpeg
image00021.jpeg
image00015.jpeg

After I had finished polishing, I waxed the car. Then I moved onto the interior where I vacuumed the seats and mats, wiped clean all the surfaces with a light dilution of APC before dressing all the interior plastics. I also cleaned and conditioned the leather to help protect it.

image00026.jpeg
image00027.jpeg

All that was left to do at this point was polish the exhaust tips and that was the car finished. Here are some pictures of it finished before it got collected. I would like to say thank you to the owner, who is also a member on here, thanks for the chance to work on your car.

IMG_2280.jpg
image00031.jpeg
image00037.jpeg
image00036.jpeg
image00032.jpeg
image00033.jpeg

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
Well written, good description and nicely photographed, perfect for this section!

Maybe worth mentioning which products or machines etc youโ€™re using for the info of members?

Great post ๐Ÿ‘
Thanks!

Yes I shouldโ€™ve mentioned that in the post. I used the Menzerna range, 2500 and 3500 and chemical guys hex logic pads. I have heard mixed reviews on the Menzerna range as people complain that they dust up badly. I have experienced that in the past but I find as long as the pad isnโ€™t overloaded or the product overworked it is generally very good.
Superb, Daniel! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

You're welcome to take the keys to mine anytime to do this! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Thank you!

haha yes! Iโ€™m sure it wonโ€™t be long until im in getting topped up on some products ๐Ÿ˜‚
How long did it take you from start to finish? Car turned out amazing by the way ๐Ÿ‘Œ
I had it for 3 days but I was working on this around my job and the owner has use of a second car so was able to take my time on it. I would say it was about 12 hours of actual work for the whole process.

Thanks!

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
A little tip from a pro, invest in some better lighting, you will be amazed what those halogens arenโ€™t showing you lol

Lovely work though, the paint on those isnโ€™t fun lol!
Aw yes thanks! I just started looking into that last week. I have sealey hand held inspection light on the way and and am trying to figure out what wall mounted lights would be best without breaking the bank ๐Ÿ˜‚

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
A sealy colour match light would be a good investment, similar performance to a scangrip, way cheaper though lol

Glad to hear someone else who thinks this. Iโ€™ve told so many people this, but they just assume they are inferior because theyโ€™re Sealey and not Scangrip!

Weโ€™ve a few of these in stock that we have had for absolutely ages!

jonnyboy

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CRV
Glad to hear someone else who thinks this. Iโ€™ve told so many people this, but they just assume they are inferior because theyโ€™re Sealey and not Scangrip!

Weโ€™ve a few of these in stock that we have had for absolutely ages!
What kinda ยฃ do you have on them? Been looking for one myself

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
Last week I was given a Honda Integra Type R DC5. There was plenty to do to it, but it was a very rewarding car to work on.

image00001.jpeg

I gave the car a good clean before detarring and fallout removal to get it ready for the polishing stage.

image00004.jpeg
image00002.jpeg
image00003.jpeg

There were a few areas that I thought could benefit from some touch up paint so, I went around the car with that before polishing as I thought the polish would remove any excess paint so it would blend in better. Here are some before and afters of that.

image00019.jpeg
image00022.jpeg
image00006.jpeg
image00007.jpeg

With the paintwork clean I began the polishing. There were plenty of swirls, a few deeper scratches and some bird poo etching to deal with. I went with Menzerna 3800 and a white pad, this provided enough cut to remove the defects but it also finished very well too when I slowed the machine down on the last few passes.

Also, I got a new Sealey colour match hand torch as mentioned previously in the thread and it does a great job of showing swirls and defects. It is a real game changer.

image00005.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpg

image00011.jpeg

image00010.jpeg

This car came with a Gyeon trim coating applied, but had a couple of areas of smudging where the coating bonded to the paint/windows, fortunately these areas were able to be removed with the same pad/polish combo as the rest of the car.

image00008.jpeg
image00009.jpeg
image00013.jpeg
image00015.jpeg

With the polishing and wax done I moved onto the engine bay, it still isn't perfect but is definitely better than it was before.

image00014.jpeg
image00024.jpeg

I then cleaned and sealed all the glass on the car, vacuumed the interior and dressed all the plastics and pulled it outside for some obligatory pictures...

image00025.jpeg
image00016.jpeg
image00018.jpeg

Attachments

• image00006.jpeg
    image00006.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image00007.jpeg
    image00007.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image00019.jpeg
    image00019.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 48
  • image00022.jpeg
    image00022.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Last week I was given a Honda Integra Type R DC5. There was plenty to do to it, but it was a very rewarding car to work on.

View attachment 315274

I gave the car a good clean before deterring and fallout removal to get it ready for the polishing stage.

View attachment 315278View attachment 315276View attachment 315277

There were a few areas that I thought could benefit from some touch up paint so, I went around the car with that before polishing as I thought the polish would remove any excess paint so it would blend in better. Here are some before and afters of that.

View attachment 315302View attachment 315303View attachment 315304View attachment 315305

With the paintwork clean I began the polishing. There were plenty of swirls, a few deeper scratches and some bird poo etching to deal with. I went with Menzerna 3800 and a white pad, this provided enough cut to remove the defects but it also finished very well too when I slowed the machine down on the last few passes.

Also, I got a new Sealey colour match hand torch as mentioned previously in the thread and it does a great job of showing swirls and defects. It is a real game changer.

View attachment 315286
View attachment 315292
View attachment 315299
View attachment 315298

This car came with a Gyeon trim coating applied, but had a couple of areas of smudging where the coating bonded to the paint/windows, fortunately these areas were able to be removed with the same pad/polish combo as the rest of the car.

View attachment 315295View attachment 315297View attachment 315300View attachment 315301

With the polishing and wax done I moved onto the engine bay, it still isn't perfect but is definitely better than it was before.

View attachment 315306View attachment 315307

I then cleaned and sealed all the glass on the car, vacuumed the interior and dressed all the plastics and pulled it outside for some obligatory pictures...

View attachment 315308View attachment 315316View attachment 315317
Great write up ๐Ÿ‘

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
To kick things off, I was given the keys to this Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 35 at the start of the week. The owner said he wanted it to have a paint decontamination, paint correction, interior clean and a leather treatment.

View attachment 313972

Here are a few pictures showing how I received the car, not the dirtiest car in the world but still plenty of work to do to it.

View attachment 313974View attachment 313975View attachment 313976

First off I gave it a thorough snow foam to remove as much dirt as possible, as that sat on the car I went round with a brush to all the intricate areas such as the badges and grills etc.

View attachment 313977View attachment 313978View attachment 313979View attachment 313980View attachment 313981

After it was washed and de-tared, I brought it inside to dry it off before getting it clayed and masked up before the inspection for me to see what it would need. The owner gave me free rein, telling me to give it whatever it needs and that I could have it for as long as required which was great.

View attachment 313992

With the paintwork now contaminate free, I began the cutting and refining.

View attachment 313983View attachment 313984View attachment 313985View attachment 313987View attachment 313988View attachment 313989

After I had finished polishing, I waxed the car. Then I moved onto the interior where I vacuumed the seats and mats, wiped clean all the surfaces with a light dilution of APC before dressing all the interior plastics. I also cleaned and conditioned the leather to help protect it.

View attachment 313990View attachment 313991

All that was left to do at this point was polish the exhaust tips and that was the car finished. Here are some pictures of it finished before it got collected. I would like to say thank you to the owner, who is also a member on here, thanks for the chance to work on your car.

View attachment 313993View attachment 313994View attachment 313995View attachment 313996View attachment 313997View attachment 313998

Thanks @Dmur197 - it's never looked as good! :cool:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Great work and great write ups and stories to go with the cars. My experience with Honda paint is that they are a right pain in the hole to get that last step perfect, but look amazing when finished. Superb work ๐Ÿ‘

Bloody black hole of a hobby too, but thanks to people on here for help and advice (and I'd say I've been given my fair share of help from @big_pete and @Davey@Procar that I'm very grateful for) as well as local suppliers like @Big Pimp and again @Davey@Procar. My garage is slowly turning into a mini ProCar LOL

Ye, used to see more threads like this years ago so good to see it again. Good work. Others should do a few too even some of the trader types

I'm very similar to @Dmur197 and would be a keen hobbyist. If it were something that people would read or be interested in, I could maybe fire up a few too ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
Great work and great write ups and stories to go with the cars. My experience with Honda paint is that they are a right pain in the hole to get that last step perfect, but look amazing when finished. Superb work ๐Ÿ‘

Bloody black hole of a hobby too, but thanks to people on here for help and advice (and I'd say I've been given my fair share of help from @big_pete and @Davey@Procar that I'm very grateful for) as well as local suppliers like @Big Pimp and again @Davey@Procar. My garage is slowly turning into a mini ProCar LOL

I'm very similar to @Dmur197 and would be a keen hobbyist. If it were something that people would read or be interested in, I could maybe fire up a few too ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Thanks! Yea they can be tricky at times, Iโ€™ve probably done more hondas now than any other brand of car so am well used to them now ๐Ÿ˜‚

I know I could spend hours reading through detailing stuff. I wanted to have a thread where I could document some of my favourite cars Iโ€™ve done and if people wanted to make suggestions of what to do differently or products to try. Iโ€™m glad people seem to be enjoying reading through my thread so far and I would also be interested in reading through other peoples threads ๐Ÿ‘

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Fantastic Daniel, great work and nice write up.

Saw your Type R earlier at Tim Hortons in Coleraine!

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
Fantastic Daniel, great work and nice write up.

Saw your Type R earlier at Tim Hortons in Coleraine!
Thanks! Iโ€™m enjoying documenting and sharing the process so far!

Ah yes, it spends more time in there than it does at home at the minute haha