Dmur197 's Detailing hobby

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche
Great pics and descriptions, very keen myself - just wish I had the time. I am at my most chilled and happy washing & detailing - good for the old mental health, I think many on this forum will agree

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I’d do some of these with the interesting stuff we get in if it’s something people enjoy reading. We get some seriously cool cars in lol
This would be good. I enjoy seeing the before and after pics, some tips and techniques and product recommendations. Especially if it's something unusual or exotic.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
We do have a YouTube channel if it’s something you guys are into. Put content up weekly

Will have to give it a watch, but a "this week at yiannimize" style video would be good, I know I personally would never really be bothered to sit and watch a full length video on one of his wrap's as its just artsy shots for 10mins, but a summary of the goings on during the week is pretty interesting, just a summary of the cars through the shop during the week and a quick chat through the work carried out and results.

But having said that, it would be a bit of a commitment to do one every week.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Will have to give it a watch, but a "this week at yiannimize" style video would be good, I know I personally would never really be bothered to sit and watch a full length video on one of his wrap's as its just artsy shots for 10mins, but a summary of the goings on during the week is pretty interesting, just a summary of the cars through the shop during the week and a quick chat through the work carried out and results.

But having said that, it would be a bit of a commitment to do one every week.

that’s actually in the plans but I need to learn how to edit much better first 😂

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I’d imagine the advantage of some videos by Pete might be seeing particularly bad paint issues put right, or maybe awkward profiled cars, or coatings, carbon etc too, good detail around improving stone chips or leather etc even could be a video on its own.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Wonder could there be a separate detailing section for everyone to put up a post of a step by step job they done on a vehicle?

would love to read through everyone's work, maybe pick up a few hints and tips but more importantly appreciate the work put in, rather than spam poor @Dmur197 thread lol
(no dig at anyone)

Love catching up on your YouTube videos @big_pete

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Wonder could there be a separate detailing section for everyone to put up a post of a step by step job they done on a vehicle?

would love to read through everyone's work, maybe pick up a few hints and tips but more importantly appreciate the work put in, rather than spam poor @Dmur197 thread lol
(no dig at anyone)

Love catching up on your YouTube videos @big_pete
That would be a good idea 👍

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
There doesn’t really need to be a separate section. This section was used regularly years ago by avid home detailers, not sure why it stopped. Possibly as some people / semi pro detailers used it to showcase work yet didn’t sign up as a trader, maybe. But it was certainly common to see a few cars a month with good breakdowns of process etc.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
There doesn’t really need to be a separate section. This section was used regularly years ago by avid home detailers, not sure why it stopped. Possibly as some people / semi pro detailers used it to showcase work yet didn’t sign up as a trader, maybe. But it was certainly common to see a few cars a month with good breakdowns of process etc.

I think probably this. Kinda like touting for work and undercutting established businesses who are site contributors and epecially in the current climate too with government restrictions in place. Businesses with bills, staff, insurance etc etc.

All the stuff I've done has either been family, friends or friends of friends. Like most people and hobbies, some people decide to invest a fair few £££ into their stuff and themselves. I have taken payment for work, but after you consider cost to yourself as well as time invested, I'd make very little in return.

On the other hand, different people have different budgets for what they want. My sister will just as happily go for a £5 foreign national car wash, whereas my dad only ever has me maintain his car.

gingfto

RMS Regular
Drives
CLS500 (5.5)
@Dmur197 great thread and great work 👍🏼Keep it coming

I will say, I prefer something like this. Sitting watching videos bores the absolute life out me 😂 being able to read at leisure, not listen to a load of faff and see actual before/during/after pics. Helps to to be able to screen shot stuff for products, techniques and ideas too.

I’ve watched @big_pete on Facebook a few times but personally would prefer the odd write up

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I think probably this. Kinda like touting for work and undercutting established businesses who are site contributors and epecially in the current climate too with government restrictions in place. Businesses with bills, staff, insurance etc etc.

All the stuff I've done has either been family, friends or friends of friends. Like most people and hobbies, some people decide to invest a fair few £££ into their stuff and themselves. I have taken payment for work, but after you consider cost to yourself as well as time invested, I'd make very little in return.

On the other hand, different people have different budgets for what they want. My sister will just as happily go for a £5 foreign national car wash, whereas my dad only ever has me maintain his car.

my dad thinks my garage is basically magic. In that he drops off one of his cars and takes one back. And some how, somewhere, magic happens. They are clean when he collects again. The whole payment or recognition etc is something I’m not overly familiar with. Lol.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
This is the kind of idea I was thinking like on detailing world

20210311_095131.jpg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
my dad thinks my garage is basically magic. In that he drops off one of his cars and takes one back. And some how, somewhere, magic happens. They are clean when he collects again. The whole payment or recognition etc is something I’m not overly familiar with. Lol.

And now with pictures. Porsche back to him, Jaguar in with me

‘Sure just you put the Jaguar in yours for a while’

was the line today. One of us is not stupid and I feel it ain’t me.
Payment etc obviously must be with my account
department...

6CF7DD76-40C0-45D0-8406-8A101DE2988C.jpeg

1E18C731-ED60-49E7-B12D-498A517A3243.jpeg

0E1C1A6D-1545-465C-AAB2-4839EF6440ED.jpeg

BB951171-B96A-4EFA-B667-BA86987E09CD.jpeg

sorry to hijack. Just with my recent comment i thought some pics to follow up would be good.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
And now with pictures. Porsche back to him, Jaguar in with me

‘Sure just you put the Jaguar in yours for a while’

was the line today. One of us is not stupid and I feel it ain’t me.
Payment etc obviously must be with my account
department...

View attachment 315923

View attachment 315924

View attachment 315925

View attachment 315926

sorry to hijack. Just with my recent comment i thought some pics to follow up would be good.

Haha the old payment waiting to clear scenario 🤣
Great work bud

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
This week I had this 320d in. The owner wanted it to have a full paint correction and wax, and as you will see in the pictures to follow there were plenty of cleaning needing to be done before it was time to polish it.

This is it when it arrived.

image00002.jpeg
image00003.jpeg
image00001.jpeg

First thing was to get the wheels and arches cleaned, before foaming the car and beginning the chemical decontamination. There was a surprising amount of dirt build up in the window seals and joins etc which was removed with the detail brush. This car hadn't been valeted/detailed for at least 5 years to the best of the owners knowledge so there were a lot of areas usually missed by the drive through machines which needed my attention.

image00004.jpeg
image00005.jpeg
image00006.jpeg
image00007.jpeg

It is hard to show in a picture but the car was covered in tar and brake dust...

image00008.jpeg
image00009.jpeg
image00010.jpeg

With it now cleaned and dried and in the garage the paint was still rough to touch and upon closer inspection there were still a lot of fine spots which hadn't budged after a couple of coats of detar and fallout remover, so I got the clay out which made light work of the contaminates.

image00011.jpeg

Now onto the polishing. The owner said I could do a two stage if required but unfortunately time restrictions didn't allow that but I am very happy with the results of this single stage correction as there were a lot more swirls to be seen than I first thought once I got it under the lights.

image00012.jpeg
image00013.jpeg
image00014.jpeg
image00015.jpeg
image00016.jpeg
image00017.jpeg

Please excuse the filthy windows, these were addressed once the exterior was complete.

image00018.jpeg
image00019.jpeg

The interior was in pretty bad shape, unfortunately I didn't get a proper after picture, but this is it before.

image00025.jpeg

After a good vacuum, I used a light dilution of an apc and a brush to clean the rubber mats before using the power washer to rinse off the loosened dirt. Then I used an even lighter dilution of apc for the door shuts and door cards to remove the dirt before dressing all the interior plastics and cleaning that filthy glass.

I used a dedicated leather cleaner and soft brush to clean the seats, then I used a leather conditioner to keep the seats looking their best and to help protect them.

image00024.jpeg

Then this is how the car looked afterwards with the decontaminated, polished and waxed paint. Even the owner of the car was surprised just how "white" the car was after all the tar etc had been taken care of.

image00020.jpeg
image00021.jpeg
image00022.jpeg
image00023.jpeg