Dmur197 's Detailing hobby

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@Dmur197

What did you use to get the swirls out of the black strip running between the doors....?

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I've just done the pillars on an A4 tonight. I use a 1 inch machine (Liquid Elements A1000) with a microfiber cutting pad (I make these from the 5 inch Meguiars pads) and either Megs D300 or CarPro Clearcut (depending on what it needs), refined with a Rupes yellow pad and CarPro Reflect and just for that final touch i use a KKD black pad (really soft) and CarPro Essence. Comes out amazing for me,

Before

20210320_195656.jpg

After cutting,

20210320_201059.jpg

Fully refined,

20210320_202041.jpg

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
@Dmur197

What did you use to get the swirls out of the black strip running between the doors....?
I personally like the Menzerna range, just because I am well familiar with them. For the pillars I used their 3800 and a white hex logic pad and then 3800 again with a black for refining.
Sorry for the hi-jack, but I've just done the pillars on an A4 tonight. I use a 1 inch machine (Liquid Elements A1000) with a microfiber cutting pad (I make these from the 5 inch Meguiars pads) and either Megs D300 or CarPro Clearcut (depending on what it needs), refined with a Rupes yellow pad and CarPro Reflect and just for that final touch i use a KKD black pad (really soft) and CarPro Essence. Comes out amazing for me,

Before

View attachment 316549

After cutting,

View attachment 316550

Fully refined,

View attachment 316551
That looks really good! How do you find the meguires products and carpro products compare to the Menzerna range? I would mainly use Menzerna and scholl for polishing, I have no experience using anything else. I also use foam pads incase that makes much of a difference.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I personally like the Menzerna range, just because I am well familiar with them. For the pillars I used their 3800 and a white hex logic pad and then 3800 again with a black for refining.

That looks really good! How do you find the meguires products and carpro products compare to the Menzerna range? I would mainly use Menzerna and scholl for polishing, I have no experience using anything else. I also use foam pads incase that makes much of a difference.

I've not used Menzerna nor Scholl before, but like you, I stick with what I know so I've a range of Meguiars, Rupes and CarPro compounds and polishes. I really like the CarPro range as the ceramic coating I've been using is theirs, and their shampo, Reset, is fantastic.

20201226_102706.jpg

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
I've not used Menzerna nor Scholl before, but like you, I stick with what I know so I've a range of Meguiars, Rupes and CarPro compounds and polishes. I really like the CarPro range as the ceramic coating I've been using is theirs, and their shampo, Reset, is fantastic.

View attachment 316560
I’ll maybe look into the carpro range. How do you find their ceramic coating? I have been considering doing my own car but don’t know what brand to go with. I haven’t ceramic coated a car before but have done wheels and it’s something I’ve wanted to do for quite a while

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I've only applied the CQuartz Lite coating, but would like to put UK3.0 on a car. As for application, it's pretty straight forward. Apply, level down and buff, no flash time and a 4 hour cure time. Applied it to 8 cars so far and only onto my 2nd bottle as the amount you are given is huge in comparison to other Lite coatings on the market.

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
I've only applied the CQuartz Lite coating, but would like to put UK3.0 on a car. As for application, it's pretty straight forward. Apply, level down and buff, no flash time and a 4 hour cure time. Applied it to 8 cars so far and only onto my 2nd bottle as the amount you are given is huge in comparison to other Lite coatings on the market.
That does sounds good, might give that a go! Is there a recommended “use by” time once the bottle is opened? I used a gtechniq coating before and if i remember correctly it was advised to be used within 3 months of opening

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
That interior :eek:

If they let it get to that state, it'll no doubt be like that again in a few weeks / months.

Dmur197

RMS Regular
OP
Dmur197
I was recently asked to polish my friends mk1 mx5. There were a few areas of oxidation and staining where some chemicals had dried that now couldn't be removed from washing alone, as well as the usual swirl marks.

image00001.jpeg

The bonnet was the worst affected by the water staining.

image00004.jpeg
image00005.jpeg

This was the first single stage stage paint I had worked on so I was hesitant to go too aggressive on it, so I used Menzerna 3800 with a black chemical guys quantum pad as a starting point. I was planning to see how the paint responded and potentially step it up to a white pad since the black technically has no cut and its advertised purpose is for spreading sealants and waxes. I was also being extra careful as there are a couple of areas where the previous owner tried polishing themselves and had gone through the paint. In the end I didn't need to change from the black pad as it removed all of the swirls and stains.

image00002.jpeg
image00006.jpeg
image00007.jpeg
image00008.jpeg
image00009.jpeg
image00010.jpeg

Next I moved on to the interior which was in fantastic condition to start with. I used a detail brush to remove any dust between the buttons and then vacuumed the seats and carpets. To keep the seats in top condition I used a leather conditioner and then applied a dressing to the dash to help protect it too.

image00013.jpeg
image00012.jpeg
image00015.jpeg

With everything done I moved onto the smaller jobs, such as the plastic trim dressings, polishing the exhaust and then applying a coat of wax to protect the paint from fading or staining again in the future.

image00011.jpeg
image00014.jpeg

This is it outside once everything had been completed before it was collected.

image00016.jpeg
image00017.jpeg

Attachments

• image00003.jpeg
    image00003.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image00018.jpeg
    image00018.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image00019.jpeg
    image00019.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 40