DPF Removal Recommendations

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
The dpf has been giving serious bother on my cdi 220 merc so my mechanic has told me he will take it out for me to get it mapped out....

Any recommendations for someone to do this?

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Whilst the test isn't any more than a visual inspection at the minute in NI, I'd be wary of having it removed if you're planning to keep the car any length of time. Always the chance now Stormont is back in action that some of the MOT changes, like the tougher enforcement and checking of DPFs, could come over here too.

Reactions: crx

colin84

RMS Regular
Whsts the issue? Just blocking? I always removed mine in the past, but as said above it seems things will be changing at some point. I would just have it removed and cleaned if possible.

If you must do it, Autotune are 100%

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Fix the root of the cause, then you'll have less issues. The Dpf gets a hard life online, if people knew more about how they work and the variables the determine the regen process they would agree that the dpf isnt actually too bad a system..... too many monkeys making a quick buck ripping them out because they dont understand how to fix them properly. Most DPF's have a service life, so unless you're at that mileage, just fix whatever is causing the excessive sooting.

crx

RMS Regular
OP
crx
Drives
Honda
Car in question had the dpf fitted as an optional extra and has now 150k on the clock so think the dpf is near its end and I don't fancy paying for a new dpf.

KevM

RMS Regular
Sometimes its as simple as a new air-filter or a split in a vacuum hose, but hey, easier to cut a DPF out, than fix/maintain a car I suppose... lol

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Sometimes its as simple as a new air-filter or a split in a vacuum hose, but hey, easier to cut a DPF out, than fix/maintain a car I suppose... lol
He’s actually been thru the mill with filters and vacuum hoses etc, don’t think this is a harebrained overnight decision to be fair

Reactions: crx

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
ive done two of those old merc dpfs, take it off and get the dpf cleaner, block it at the bottom let it soak over night and power hose the life out of it next day

regen and cured the problem

they were both e-classes mind you and I think 270 cdis but probably the same set up

crx

RMS Regular
OP
crx
Drives
Honda
Its been giving bother for a while, as nicky said a lot of short trips doesn't help matters, the car is 04 and the dpf was fitted as a extra from new.... we have done forced regen's, its been regularly serviced with the correct oils etc.... fault codes just constantly read too full to regen or failed to regen.