Drag Day and Airfield Outlaws 3rd/4th Aug CANCELLED, a statement.

56oval

RMS Regular
CANCELLED.jpg

Dear race fans , unfortunately this is not the latest update from Drag Day i would like to be typing, or for you to be reading over breakfast.
After serious thought, many meetings and some basic mathematics, I have come to the decision to cancel this years event for both the Saturday top speed and the usual Sunday Drag Day.
As you know, myself and others have been instrumental in trying to bring quality drag racing to Ireland for the past 6 years, its fair to say we rejuvenated the sport and gave racers and fans alike the best event on the calendar by a (quarter) mile.
Last year saw us take a huge step for us to move to St Angelo, one which put us in uncharted territory, coupled with near 10 fold running costs and cementing an excellent relationship with the best in the business, Straightliners. ( i am forever indebted to Trevor and his team for making it happen along with their investment )
It has never been an easy job to run a quality race event and not finish out of pocket, particularly when we absolutely will not compromise when it comes to giving you a full day of racing. I have always put drag racers first and flat refuse to dilute your day with other disciplines and activities which impact on your track time, much to our financial detriment. Last year put us way too close to the edge financially. It is obvious that without investment or major sponsorship, the show cannot continue, ( a shortcoming on my part which i hold my hands aloft )
From a personal position Drag Day has consumed every ounce of energy i have, it is a role that has had a significant impact on my personal life, an impact which is at present, unsustainable.
It is not a decision that has been taken lightly, i personally take no joy from it. However looking at the situation outlined above it is the simple facts that dictate why i have made this call.
I will sign off by saying i am sorry we can’t go again this year, but also, thank you.
Thank you to all the racers, we had a blast, made many memories and most of all, friendships.
To our sponsors, again, without you, Drag Day just wouldn’t have been the event it has become. Thank you.
To those who built the most insane trophies and awards, no other event had silverware like it. Thank you.
To all the fans, for standing on the sidelines, rain or shine, wind or snow, four seasons in one day never kept you away. Thank you.
To all the clubs who helped us get this thing off the ground and continued to support us, thank you.
The volunteers and helpers, every show needs them, we can’t exist without you, you are an integral part of any event, often overlooked. Thank you.
Those who gave their time freely for no reward, ran up and down the country to help make Drag Day happen, i sincerely appreciate all the efforts you went to, you all know who you are. Thank you.
The show n shine organisers, over the years you have taken care of a vital aspect that allowed us to get on with running the racing, again in your own personal time and freely. Thank you.
Straightliners, Trevor and his team have been the backbone of drag racing for decades and they continue to be. Unquestionably the best in the business when it comes to running any Drag or top speed events. Last year we had well over 1000 passes on the day, testament to their state of the art equipment and dedicated team that run it, week in, week out. Thank you.
Who knows what the future has in store for Drag Day?, we will see, but for now. A heartfelt thank you to you all.
Ben.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
As said on Facebook Ben, gutted but understandable - it is a huge event to take on and run.

Thanks very much for introducing this sport to me, I've loved it and will continue to take part in future events.

tj hooker

RMS Regular
Drives
evo 8
Hi Ben.
Sorry to hear about the cancellation of the event. I have been very busy this work and have not had the chance to catch up with you.
But from someone who did a lot of drag racing in the past. I know it take up a lot of time and effort. And I'm only talking about taking part. Lol.so I'm sure as organising the event it must take over everything. Lol.

We all love are cars .But life and family comes first.

Hopefully catch up with you soon..T.J.