Drive the Deal?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Anyone used them? A like for like quote is £2200 less than local dealer and even with the cost of getting it back from England, it seems more than worth it.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Used them once, buying a Merc, cant remember the exact figure but was thousands of a saving. Came from Marshall Mercedes & they delivered to Warrenpoint docks via Heysham.

I'm not sure its that straight forward post Brexit though..

Worth throwing out the figure to a local dealer.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Used them once, buying a Merc, cant remember the exact figure but was thousands of a saving. Came from Marshall Mercedes & they delivered to Warrenpoint docks via Heysham.

I'm not sure its that straight forward post Brexit though..

Worth throwing out the figure to a local dealer.
Will do that later for sure, and ring DTD to see if there are any additional issues

PAULW

RMS Regular
I've used them too for a new honda, very good to deal with. Donnelly's couldn't match their price, came from a Honda dealer in Kent.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I spoke to them a couple of times about VW but in the end didn’t go with them as it would have been factory order with a long lead time. Spoke to a guy called Jim who was helpful and clearly of NI origin given the accent.
May have an email address for him but if you run a quote they contact you anyway.

Also have a look on Autotrader as dealers advertise new cars on there and they can be cheaper than Drive the Deal for stock cars. Big issue however is that a lot of big English dealer groups aren’t selling to NI now even if you offer to collect it.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Yep, it was Jim that also rang me back, again very helpful. I mentioned about the fact i was in NI for him he didn't see any issue, but only last week I had a car secured and then pulled from me, due to being an NI resident. So as @davyk31 mentioned, do ask.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Yep, it was Jim that also rang me back, again very helpful. I mentioned about the fact i was in NI for him he didn't see any issue, but only last week I had a car secured and then pulled from me, due to being an NI resident. So as @davyk31 mentioned, do ask.
Literally just off the phone to Jim there, same guy with Northern Ireland accent. The local dealer has just got back to me, couple of hundred quid more than DTD, but that would be lost in collecting the car, plus the dealership is 15 minutes away from me, so all in all a total result.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Sounds a good result. What are you buying saxoman and which dealer? Some local dealers are very aware of DTD and are keen to compete while others just switch off when it looks like you a savvy customer who wants a decent deal.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Literally just off the phone to Jim there, same guy with Northern Ireland accent. The local dealer has just got back to me, couple of hundred quid more than DTD, but that would be lost in collecting the car, plus the dealership is 15 minutes away from me, so all in all a total result.
Good result there.

You need to budget around £500 for collection, give or take depending on exactly where the car is. At the moment the transporters are flat out still and it can take a couple of weeks for a slot.

You can always fly over and drive back. Can be a bit of a faff, and cost almost the same, but quicker if the car is registered and taxed and all that.

Shouldn't be any border issues with a second hand car. Certainly not if you drive. If it's collected then the transporter will deal with the paperwork.

davyk31

RMS Regular
The issues dealers report are that they are unable to register a car whether new or used to a NI address.

I was also told there are issues with finance and FCA regulations given NI now falls into both UK and EU laws.