Driving standards

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Adam

RMS Regular
I'll get straight to it - what the hell has happened in the last dozen or so years over here with driving standards? I moved back from England at Christmas and I've seen more bad driving in 10 weeks here than I ever did in over 10 years in England.
Every motorway journey has countless idiots sitting in the outside lane no matter how many cars are queued up behind them or how many miles of empty space there is on the inside lane beside them. They just trundle along completely oblivious to the fact that they're supposed to move back to the left lane when finished over taking. Yesterday was a prime example, some retard in a black Seat Leon (MIG3*** if you're on here you are a complete f***wit) just sat the whole way down the M1 in the outside lane even though the left lane was empty for miles. In the end I had to undertake him to get past and he just sat there with a retarded look in his face. The night before some girl in a grey BMW E90 sat in the outside lane the whole length of the M1 and she kept speeding up to 90-100 to overtake me then slowed back down to around 60-70 and I'd pass her again. The whole time I sat at the same speed and she was the one along with her f***wit passengers staring at me wondering why I kept passing her again.
That's not to mention the dozen or so other f***wits sitting in the outside lane the whole way refusing to pull back into the inside.
Roundabouts are another matter altogether. No-one seems to know that you should pick the correct lane depending on which exit you are taking and not simply drive onto a roundabout and change lanes mid way round often several times before picking a random lane to exit again.
What the hell is going on? Have driving instructors become so bad now that they don't teach any road manners to anyone any more?
ALL of the people who have no idea which lane they should be in or how to drive a car properly have all been in their 20s. Its not old people trundling around, its young people with no idea what the hell they're doing and its shocking.
There are loads of accidents in the news these days and I'm not surprised given what I see every day on the roads. Speed has nothing to do with any of these accidents, its simply retards behind the wheel who have no idea how to drive properly.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Driving instructers teach people to pass the test, not to drive properly.

Sure they can't teach people how to drive on the motorway, but at least you can reverse round a corner.

natalie-portman-clap.jpg

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
You have described every pet hate I have when I've to travel up or down the m1 lol it is brutal but I've learned for it not to bother me as much as it used to and just get on with whatever Ive to do to progress my journey.

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
Its ridiculously bad though, another one is people who stick on the indicator to change lanes without looking and assume that just because they put their indicator on it was safe. I blame the driving instructors/test examiners and also the Police. All the Police over here seem to be able to do is sit in hedges trying to catch people speeding on overtaking lanes etc so they can make up their target numbers. It has nothing to do with road safety otherwise you'd see them in dangerous sections of roads or outside schools.
I get lots of people pulling out of junctions every day without looking and those are the people killing bikers etc yet the Police don't care as long as they don't go over the speed limit.
The whole system over here is wrong on every level and it needs to change. Look how many people have died on the roads already in the last few months yet I can guarantee all the road service and Police will be banging on about is speed when all of those were most likely caused by retards simply driving badly.

Ive seen the ridiculous DRD advertisements on TV going on about speeding yet I have never seen one with a simple message telling people how to use roundabouts or how to use the correct lane on a dual carriageway or motorway. Basic advertisements like this would be far more effective in making the roads safer and helping traffic flow which is a big problem with Belfast being the most congested city in Europe!

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
Driving instructers teach people to pass the test, not to drive properly.

Sure they can't teach people how to drive on the motorway, but at least you can reverse round a corner.

natalie-portman-clap.jpg

I actually do this a lot now but I don't think its laziness or dangerous as why would they teach you such a skill?

You have described every pet hate I have when I've to travel up or down the m1 lol it is brutal but I've learned for it not to bother me as much as it used to and just get on with whatever Ive to do to progress my journey.

its got to the point if someone is sitting in the overtaking lane then I'll just undertake them if its safe. they're usually so absorbed into their own life they don't even notice you undertaking them.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
Its ridiculously bad though, another one is people who stick on the indicator to change lanes without looking and assume that just because they put their indicator on it was safe. I blame the driving instructors/test examiners and also the Police. All the Police over here seem to be able to do is sit in hedges trying to catch people speeding on overtaking lanes etc so they can make up their target numbers. It has nothing to do with road safety otherwise you'd see them in dangerous sections of roads or outside schools.
I get lots of people pulling out of junctions every day without looking and those are the people killing bikers etc yet the Police don't care as long as they don't go over the speed limit.
The whole system over here is wrong on every level and it needs to change. Look how many people have died on the roads already in the last few months yet I can guarantee all the road service and Police will be banging on about is speed when all of those were most likely caused by retards simply driving badly.

lies, both driving instructors I had were great IMO. now the driving test is a joke, extended one and the normal one. the police don't go after incompetence because they are incompetence themselves and give it a bi-ball

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Don't even mention the "how dare you overtake me and jump the queue!" on an A/B road crew!

It is infuriating but I try to be more chilled these days, I have gone from 35,000 a year down to about 15,000 so that's saved me from going on valium

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
Don't even mention the "how dare you overtake me and jump the queue!" on an A/B road crew!

It is infuriating but I try to be more chilled these days, I have gone from 35,000 a year down to about 15,000 so that's saved me from going on valium

I hate it when you're in a queue of traffic and no one let's the cars out from the minor roads or they block the minor road off so no one can take their space lol

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I hate it when you're in a queue of traffic and no one let's the cars out from the minor roads or they block the minor road off so no one can take their space lol

I hate it even more when I am that person trying to get out, and the person blocking suddenly gets the thousand yard stare straight ahead and won't acknowledge that I exist!

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
I've covered just over 900 miles (since my last MOT 11 months ago as I genuinely fear for my safety driving around north Belfast. the amount of people that just wail on out of side streets and onto the main road without even as much as looking is ridiculous. Taxi drivers are the worst up here, driving along at 30 then slam the anchors on just stop in the main road, you've to sit behind them, in rush hour, trying to overtake them, then they look at you like you've 6 heads when you give them a beep.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Ive seen the ridiculous DRD advertisements on TV going on about speeding yet I have never seen one with a simple message telling people how to use roundabouts or how to use the correct lane on a dual carriageway or motorway. Basic advertisements like this would be far more effective in making the roads safer and helping traffic flow which is a big problem with Belfast being the most congested city in Europe!
I've gone on and on about this in the past. I don't think anyone who watching those 'snuff' ads are shocked by them any more. As you say, it would be better giving little 20 second reminders about lane discipline or how to use indicators. They'd be cheap to produce as well.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I've gone on and on about this in the past. I don't think anyone who watching those 'snuff' ads are shocked by them any more. As you say, it would be better giving little 20 second reminders about lane discipline or how to use indicators. They'd be cheap to produce as well.

Down south, on the radio they have ads reminded everyone to get the feck out of the outside lane. Doesn't seem to work, though MOST down south actually do get out of the way no problems with a quick flash.

Quick headlight flash up here gets you - 1)them stamping on the brakes 2) Hand gesture 3) the Mirror stare 4) Totally oblivious that they have any mirrors.

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
Down south, on the radio they have ads reminded everyone to get the feck out of the outside lane. Doesn't seem to work, though MOST down south actually do get out of the way no problems with a quick flash.
Quick headlight flash up here gets you - 1)them stamping on the brakes 2) Hand gesture 3) the Mirror stare 4) Totally oblivious that they have any mirrors.

I actually used to think England was bad as driving across Europe is a joy where everyone has such good lane discipline however since moving back I now realise the people of England were much better than the f***wits over here!

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
If you'd have seen the cnut I came across a couple of weeks ago. Bright yellow 'hey look at me' range rover. Swerving all over the road and speed varying considerably. He was either a) On the phone, b) Having a w**k, c) Pissed or d) On the phone and having a w**k whilst pissed.

I passed him after coming out of Dundrod village as he was doing about 20 mph in the 60. I put the full beams on just to try and make him aware I was passing. Once I'd passed he came up behind me at a rate of knots, passed me as soon as he got the opportunity and took off down the road at I'm sure over 100 mph.

It was like " This is my road, I own it, I can hold you up and swerve all over the place but how dare you pass ME on MY road"

Complete tosser !!

The grunt of the V8 did entertain me a bit when he was overtaking me.

Last edited:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I think the poor lane discipline here stems from the attitude, most people here HATE to see someone get ahead in life and do all they can to hold them back. I think this gets extended onto the roads.

I drive on the M2 daily, and the driving standards are atrocious. Not being a tube here, or singling out an area or whatever but most of the poor lane discipline seems to stem from those that join at the Ballymena/Antrim junction (Junction 1). The amount of people who enter the M'way there and dive straight into Lane 2 is insane ... its no surprise 2 people have been killed at that junction in the last year.

Ive said it many, many times on here though: Police should have lisence to take Lane hoggers from their cars and shoot them at the side of the road. Their bodies should be left at the side of the road as a warning for others. It would only take one or 2 people and we would have the best lane discipline in Europe.

Another example of poor standards here; people queuing in Lane 1 when lane 2 is free and then not letting 2 lanes filter into 1. hogging the bumper of the car in front of them incase someone gets slightly ahead of them in life. There are 2 lanes, use them and merge like a zip, that way everyone gets home earlier and traffic flows smoother. There is a Moy Park lorry that Ive been unfortunate enough to be stuck behind a few times at the Elk in Toome in the evenings, that drives on the white line to make sure that no one can get past him in Lane 2. I always wonder what makes that guys life so abysmal that he has to restrict the flow of traffic in such an aggressive and ignorant way just in case people might get hime before him....I usually overtake him between there and Castledawson anyway, so its not like he is gaining anything.

There were adverts ran on TV in the south a few years back showing how to negotiate a roundabout and how to practice good lane discipline. Those are seriously needed up here.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Perspective is wonderful lol

Unless it's something clean mental I can't say I get too bothered any more. One week in India was enough for me to realise that actually the standard of driving here isn't too bad.. Even compared to Milan, Rome or Paris the driving here is fairly civil. If you get bothered about people not 'merging like a zip' you'd absolutely lose your s**t being surrounded by 20 mopeds / cyclists at every stop light, most of which are using the car as a lean-to.

DavyC

RMS Regular
The M2 hill section does my t1ts in!.. And the all new, great A8 is loosing it's greatness too with the same sh1t. So many different scenarios of combinations of ignorant, pushy c?%ts with bad atttitude, poor lane discipline, folk in a day dream / not having a clue. I'd love the authourity to pull them over, fine them, and slap a highway code across thier bakes.

I've noticed some of the ones that come off sandyknowes, citybound, and head straight for lane 3 have a sat nav on the dash and a gormless look on their faces... I wonder is that thier literal interpretation of "keep right" (or whatever the sat nav says), instead of just merging / continuing in lane 1.

On the new A8 one quiet sunday morning I caught up on a single car doing 60 in lane 2 (not another sinner about)... thought, rather than undertake, I'll try a few polite flashes instead. She eventually moves in, I go past, and she moves straight back out again and gives me the full beam!!?!?..

Too many more to list.... I dont want to come across as an angry know it all here either.. I actually hate to think I might have some stupid habits I'm not even aware of... Cringe!.. Some folk just dont seem to give a f?:k tho.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Too many more to list.... I dont want to come across as an angry know it all here either.. I actually hate to think I might have some stupid habits I'm not even aware of... Cringe!.. Some folk just dont seem to give a f?:k tho.

I'm sure we all do. I do for sure!

I wonder for example if all our outstanding motorway pilots know the appropriate etiquette when it comes to these bad boys (without resorting to Google):

1234.gif

Or do they use the handbrake appropriately every time at lights / junctions so that they're not dazzling the people behind them, or never park a bit up the curb, etc.

colin84

RMS Regular
Driving here is truly shocking. It has a lot to do with people who just don't give a ****, and people who aren't fit to be behind the wheel.

I was in a workmates car a few weeks ago who has just passed his test. When we were joining the motorway that was nearly empty, straight away he crossed 3 lanes to the outside lane and sat there.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.