Ducati Monster 1200

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
So after seeing @Scuba Steve's thread on the gsxs750 and a bit of corresponding with the man himself I took a race up to Millsport for a chat.

Honestly, the Suzuki was really nice but didn't grab me like I thought it would and walking out I spied a new Monster 821 which was realy much nicer than I thought it would be. After a quick test ride on a vstrom 650 to satisfy my curiosity and a ride on the 821 I was in love.

Until I saw the price, which was quite frankly beyond my budget as the wife wants a new wagon too.....

I put it out of my head until a monster 1200 popped up for sale not ten miles away. The weather wasn't playing ball so a test ride was put off but on the first visit I knew I liked it, seller was legit, bike history checked out. Home to sleep on it and a deal was struck on fathers day subject to bike having a full years MOT (It's first MOT as it happens). Following Wednesday it was lifted and home. Gingerly....

135bhp v twin, stock save for Puig screen and grips and shorty adjustable levers. Good service history with it and to quote my brother 'makes a God noise'.

When I get time I'll give it a proper clean and polish, maybe attempt to sort a couple of small stone chips but for now I'm just going to ride it and enjoy it while the fine weather is with us.

Here are some piccies
IMG_20180620_223928_920.jpg
20180622_134620.jpg

20180620_202138.jpg
20180622_134635.jpg

It has approximately as much torque as a locomotive and gets up to speed ridiculously quickly. I've affectionately nicknamed it 'The Brute' and reckon it could actually pull a small caravan. No major plans for this year save for a few weekend blips and maybe a long weekend in Scotland if time and finances allow.

It isn't everyone's cup of tea I know but I do tend to like things a bit less mainstream and it's a great conversation starter. Or conversation killer if you rev it a bit :laughing:

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That’s class, as said above a set of Termis and it will sound like hell on earth!

Health to ride (y)

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Lovely bike! HTR! My mate has one with a SC Project exhaust, the sound is unreal! i wasn't keen on them until i saw and heard his in person! They just want to float the front wheel all day!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Lovely bike.
The funny bit is that you were curious about a vstrom 650....
.... But went for a 1200 monster instead.

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
Yeah, I had thought at one point but had never ridden one. How do you know unless you get a spin?

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
This or a Vstrom, you made the right choice (y)

Couldn't fault the v strom to be fair but it was more efficient than exciting. Great bike for people who will use it as intended.

Ducati just has a character of it's own...

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
@Dusty looks the part fella! Wheelie happy things too! Enjoy! I’m for the coast road tomoro morning if you want to join

10am garage in Larne at the beginning of the coast road

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Yeah, I had thought at one point but had never ridden one. How do you know unless you get a spin?

Your right of course. I took a spin on a Vstrom 650 myself once, when I had a R1150GS and thought about getting something lighter and more nimble. But it's hard when you get used to something with more low down grunt. And in the case of your Ducati, a lot more soul.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Your right of course. I took a spin on a Vstrom 650 myself once, when I had a R1150GS and thought about getting something lighter and more nimble. But it's hard when you get used to something with more low down grunt. And in the case of your Ducati, a lot more soul.
It's a brilliant engine in an SV which is 20kg+ lighter, the tradeoff for being a decent middleweight luggage capable tourer.

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
@Dusty looks the part fella! Wheelie happy things too! Enjoy! I’m for the coast road tomoro morning if you want to join

10am garage in Larne at the beginning of the coast road

Thanks mate, busy tomorrow but definitely up for the next one. Looking any excuse for a ride out now!

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V

Soul is the word. Can't explain it about a collection of bits of plastic and metal but it's there.

It's a brilliant engine in an SV which is 20kg+ lighter, the tradeoff for being a decent middleweight luggage capable tourer.

Vstrom is a great for long distance touring or a daily commuter but I think that's all though, fun doesn't come into it so much.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Love this, i'd like to Upgrade my 696 to something bigger and one of these is a option!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.