Dundrod Ulster Grand Prix difficulties

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Copied and pasted this from the clubs facebook page, I'm sure this is something we would do not want to see

ULSTER GRAND PRIX STATEMENT

The 2019 Ulster Grand Prix race week began in a blaze of glory as Peter Hickman set a new lap record speed of 136.415mph that brought the ‘World’s Fastest Road Race’ title back to the Dundrod circuit. More fantastic racing was to follow but a severe weather warning forecast for Saturday’s main race day saw most fans decide to remain at home, resulting in perhaps the smallest crowd the event has ever witnessed. The huge loss of income, compounded by existing liabilities, has resulted in a major financial crisis for the organisers of the Ulster Grand Prix, the Dundrod and District Motorcycle Club. Over the past few months the Club has been trying to manage this difficult situation. A critical juncture has now been reached and a decision must be made as to whether or not the race will take place in 2020. Professional advice has been sought and an urgent review is being carried out in respect of the viability of the event for 2020, together with the options available for dealing with the existing financial liabilities. Race organisers will consider the outcome of this review and a decision will be taken in the coming weeks as to the future of the Club and the Ulster Grand Prix. “The Ulster Grand Prix celebrated its 97th birthday in 2019.” Robert Graham, Chairman of the Dundrod and District Motorcycle Club, said. “The race organisers have met with local MP, Jeffrey Donaldson, alongside representatives of Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council as we continue to seek a solution to the financial problems that would enable Northern Ireland’s most prestigious and historic motorcycle race to continue towards its 100th anniversary.” “It is clear though, that in the absence of significant financial support, the Ulster Grand Prix is in real and imminent danger of disappearing from the road racing calendar, an outcome that would be a major blow for motorcycle sport in Northern Ireland.”

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sad news that, I hope they can recover from it, would be a massive loss!

David19

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
Have to admit it did start out a wet and miserable day at this year's UGP even the TV camera grandstands were shrouded in mist. But came good in the end and people missed a good day's racing considering the weather.
The price on the day didn't help either, think it was still £30 on the day. Bit sharp.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
One of our customers whose husband races was telling us a few weeks ago it was going bad. I still think most people are reluctant to pay £30 to stand in a field at the mercy of the weather ( myself included) Also it’s £30 for the whole week if you can attend but it’s still £30 on the Saturday if that’s the only day you can go. Surely cheaper admission might bring in more people or at least they might be more likely to take a gamble if the weathers iffy. It would be interestIng to see the attendance figures from before and after the price increase. I would hate to see it go but at the same time refuse to pay the admission fee. I’m not running it down in any way as I did attend there and all the other races for years and also spent a few years in the paddock with mates that raced but at the end of the day if the admission price is keeping people away I think they should reduce it.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
The argument is always going to be there about the price, but in comparison it's the going rate. If you take advantage of the 3 days it's cheap. I'm fairly sure the Saturday price was £25, maybe £20

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Maybe they are basing the entry price on the fact that if you go the three days it is excellent value. which it is but they need to remember a lot of people will only be able to go ir want to go on the Saturday. I think it would make sense to make the Saturday £15 / £20. The guys who go through the week will still go at £30 I’m sure. A lot of the people I know say they wouldn’t pay £30 in but then if it was cheaper would they go or is the price just an excuse. The weather is the other problem. You just can’t depend on it. As you know on a cracking day weather wise there’s no better place.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I remember paying for NW200 coverage a few years back, wouldn't hesitate to do so again for that and other races.

The 4g coverage is quality as is BBC sport coverage, undoubtedly partly responsible for lower crowds.. second imo to health and safety

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
It's a bit of a rip off in comparison to the NW200.

It's all about funding. The NW200 gets funding from most of the surrounding councils. Antrim council refused funding to the UGP because it was less than 1 mile outside of the council lines. Even though during bike week most of the activities are inside ABC

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
It's all about funding. The NW200 gets funding from most of the surrounding councils. Antrim council refused funding to the UGP because it was less than 1 mile outside of the council lines. Even though during bike week most of the activities are inside ABC

Simple, extend the track so that it falls within the ABC area. I am actually surprised that councils are still funding road races, I thought they would have distanced themselves from the sport given the unpopularity especially when there are fatalities.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Road racing is a money maker for local economy, the NW200 attracts larger crowds because of its location, so their funding Is greater. a windy hillside like Dundrod doesn't attract whole families, unless they're all diehard RR fans. So the government doesn't throw as much cash at it, although the cost of running the UGP is considerably more than the NW200, which is why the NW200 is free.

Personally speaking, I think the price of the Saturday ticket for the UGP is reasonable, if you get the weather. Last time I was at a USBK round it was £15. Last BSB round I was at was over £100. Even the stock cars at Nutts corner is £10.

How much is it to a football match? Locally and premier league, for 90mins.....

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I really can't believe people actually moan about a £30 entry fee for a world class event... Not even half a tank of fuel, or a single meal out... For a full day of top motorsport and a dozen races!

🙈

Anyway, I suspect the low attendance was really just the last drop and that there are deeper problems. From permissions and safety work to promotion, the cost and effort of running events like this on a public road must be astronomical these days. Never mind dealing with landowners, complaining neighbours and all the rest of it.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
You have no idea @svensktoppen. I would never have imagined the half of it until I joined the club. Rising costs and the club not being given money it is due is a major part. The political state that the country is in is also a contributing factor.

The running cost for the week is astronomical. And as you say the low attendance is the straw that broke the camels back

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
If they made it slightly cheaper I'm sure they would get a lot more spectators.

But as it's road racing plenty of folk spend a bit of time planning and dander across a few fields to watch for free.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I really can't believe people actually moan about a £30 entry fee for a world class event... Not even half a tank of fuel, or a single meal out... For a full day of top motorsport and a dozen races!

🙈

Anyway, I suspect the low attendance was really just the last drop and that there are deeper problems. From permissions and safety work to promotion, the cost and effort of running events like this on a public road must be astronomical these days. Never mind dealing with landowners, complaining neighbours and all the rest of it.

I can see why the moan, as cheap as it is, its still free for other world class motorsport such as the TT, NW200, Donegal Rally and all the other Road Racing. I don't really think it can be compared to football or circuit racing either, as they have proper facilities, toilets, food pits all within close walking distance, with the Ulster your paying £30 to stand and pish in a field for the day. If I had £20 I would sooner be going to Bishopscourt or Kirkistown. Ps I still go to the Ulster every year.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Other races aren't free, cookstown and tandragee charge. TT is incomparable.

The people who complain about the price will be the first to complain when the UGP is gone, I've already witnessed it first hand. People who came to me at the start of August trying to grab a free arm band and complained to me about the price of tickets have already rang, text and said to my face, I can't believe it's going bad. Even though when I didn't get them an armband they didn't go.

One person actually huffed with me this year because I didnt get them a ticket, boycotted the whole event for the first time since they were a toddler, all because this would have been the first year in a long long time that they would have had to pay in. Said they wouldn't stand in the pishing rain for love nor money. On the Saturday race day, they sent me a snapchat of them out fishing. Then when they seen the highlights said to me they were genuinely gutted to have missed it.

That's what we're up against. If it was £30 into all the racing events then yes, its extremely dear, but it's not and if the rest of the big races are free then £30 for a years International road racing is incredible value.

Outkast

RMS Regular
There probably isn't much sympathy being shown, due to the headline of the previous grant being spent on a clubhouse etc.We have had parachutes on race day, bicycle races on race day & classic car parades dumping oil, preventing race bikes from getting on course. It is supposed to be a world class event, yet you have to rely on someone on twitter for updates & results during the races, due to no tannoy coverage. Talk of contingency plans & moving race days, when poor weather forecast, never amounted to action. Free live streaming undoubtably effects ticket sales too. Dropping the National Dundrod 150, the same. Yet this year I saw more foreign visitors, than ever before.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Yeah BBC really f**ked us with that headline, and never clarified it when it was shown the club had done nothing wrong. All the issues you raised there are very valid and again it all comes down to money