DVLA "Check MoT"

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Tried to check the MoT/Tax status using the DVLA site, but it doesn't recognise my registration any more? It's always worked fine before...

Anyone else having issues? Something that's changed recently to do with NI?

Edit: The one that checks both tax and MoT works, but not the one that just checks MoT... Weird...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, the "Check MoT and Tax" one is fine, but not the "Check MoT" one... Weird...

Maybe just got lucky before with cars recently brought over from England...

pablo

RMS Moderator
if its still on the english reg the history will still work iirc. such a lifesaver I wish they would allow you to search on VIN

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Yea. Anyone see the post about a man selling a few cars not long in from the mainland? Well clocked back a few thousand or 10 thousands lol

Surely now most people check reg’s of English cars to check mileage or welding/repairs it’s needed over the years?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The history of a mainland car is lost when it comes here. Only place I can find some history is cazana.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's nuts, it's the same country ffs... Bonkers place this, it's like it got stuck fifty years ago 😅 🙈

The MoT status still shows up on the "Tax and MoT" page. But nothing on the "Check MoT" page. Surely they go on the same database, lol.

Anyway, at least it wasn't me going crazy :innocent:

SJM2016

RMS Regular
Drives
Green A-Class
When you take an english reg car over here and needs an MOT, the booking site won't find the car you have to get in touch with the DVA to add the car to their database. Does my head in.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
The history of a mainland car is lost when it comes here. Only place I can find some history is cazana.
I can always get the mainland history on the DVLA MOT history check search, as said above it just says it has no current MOT unless its last was on the mainland.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Nope, history gone. Just current MoT status on the "MoT and tax" site.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Nope, history gone. Just current MoT status on the "MoT and tax" site.
Did you try the MOT history site? I was able to get the history on the wee Boxster there from its last mainland MOT in 08 and all the ones before that.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’ve 3 in the shed there in from England in the past few years and none with any MOT history online. It was there for a month or two then disappeared. Not even sure it disappeared when it was MOTd here. Just dropped off!

Edit:

Scratch that it appears they do. But oddly recorded. The app I use doesn’t have any history though which is weird

9BBA37D4-1BE1-407D-BB2E-01583FDA089C.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I reckon the ferries are so expensive to get here because you get time travelled back to a previous era where most normal things are difficult.
Has other benefits of course but the backwardness does tickle your t1ts from time to time.

The mainland MOT history checker is class, do not understand why it isn't available here other than it's still the 1960's or something.

EDIT: Just checked the MOT history on the MX5 which has been over here for 5 years and I'm still seeing everything up until it's last mainland MOT.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Did you try the MOT history site? I was able to get the history on the wee Boxster there from its last mainland MOT in 08 and all the ones before that.
Yep, that's the one.

They used to show a history but no more, it's all gone now.

Seems like it only stays for a bit for cars brought here and then it's gone...

The current status is still available.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
As per my edit above, just checked my MX5 and can still see the history on it up to 5 years back when I took it over here. 🤷‍♂️
Yep, that's the one.

Same, I've 3 English reg cars and I can see them all.

Last edited:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Yep, that's the one.

Have you changed the reg on the car at all?
I know it was messed up on the A4 I bought in Wales. Previous owner had a private plate, some history was available on that, and then more on the original English reg. My own private plate didn't bring up any history at all.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I was back and forth with them for a week because the details for my motorbike were lost and I was unable to sorn it before the end of October. The details were still showing up on third party sites, but not on DLVAs.

Then I remember I removed the reg I was complaining about to put my personalised plate on last year.:joy:

Last edited:

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Anyone any experience of incorrect MOT statues?

My rangie was MOT'd before sale, I took the private reg off and assigned it to my RS6

The RS6 is now showing as mot expiry in Jan 2023 and the Rangie is not showing any MOT

Ringing the number on the site, they put me through to NI, who tell me its Swansea who have to do it, the person in swansea cannot load the details of the cars as they are NI MOT

Its mental