E30 Buying advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Skillie

Had a couple E36s but don't know much about E30's. Theres a 1987 316 coupe with low mileage for sale on the local rag which has just passed its NCT (MOT in south). The wee womans thinkin of buying it cheap as a project to inject a bitta cash into and make a real sweet motor, obviously with me doin all the leg work and her bank rolling it and finally reaping the rewards once she passses her test in next few months. She drives a Ka now (not driving long) but reallly loves E30's and will sell the Ka to finance the restoration. I know the 6 pots are a better engine but from the prospective of her getting insured the 316 is a good option. Anyone got any good advice about undertaking such a project on these cars. haven't gone to see the car yet by the way

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
Tappets are a problem and the 316 is VERY slow. Have a look out for the E30 318iS - fantastic engine.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I agree the 318is uses a 16v engine which makes around 140bhp - its actually probably a quicker car than the 320i. It also come with decent seats and a LSD.

If you're intent on the 316i then the usual stuff applies for a car of that age. Check carefully for rust - rear arches, the sills, underneath. Check round the sunroof and any adjoining panels (e.g. where the boot meets the rear window, where the bonnet meets front window, etc).

Electrics can be dodgy in the E30 especially electric sunroof (if it has one) and central locking. New central locking actuator is £56 from GSF so won't be a nightmare to fix even if it is broken. The onboard computer can fail too but again this isn't a big job to sort out.

As far as the engine goes, look out for the usual signs of a hard life - uneven idle, smokey on startup, oil leaks, etc. If serviced properly even the 316i should go on for quite a while as they are a tough little engine, if gutless.

Gaz

Skillie

OP
S
Well like I said I'd be getting her to buy a 325 sport (she loves them) if it wasn't for the fact that she'll have no no claims bonus and be just after passing her test so the 1.6 is for insurance purposes only. The one local gonna prob see it tonight only has 41K on the clock and just passed the test so has to be in somewhat decent a condition. C how much its going for also "open to offers" was the ad

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Can't go far wrong with 41k on the clock. And there was me thinking I had the only low mileage e30 around here :p

Gaz

Skillie

OP
S
lol well i'll give them a ring tonight and might call to see it if its in good nick and cheap as chips then we'll have a new project to go with the coupe project!! Cool

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Who me? Its for sale as soon as I get something else to drive, which will hopefully be next week if my plans are successful ;)

Gaz

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Like Bronk says, wait and see :p

Gaz

merlin

RMS Regular
LOL @ adam, the GSi not entertaining enough for you??

I'd love a 325i sport, in dolphin grey or red tho lol

Gaz, is this one black? as skillie says get some pics up !!

Adam

RMS Regular
merlin said:
LOL @ adam, the GSi not entertaining enough for you??

I'd love a 325i sport, in dolphin grey or red tho lol

Gaz, is this one black? as skillie says get some pics up !!

AHEM! LOL

I was going to keep the GSI as its mint at the mo but this 325 Sport is one of the best there is.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'll get some pics done later. I don't have any at the moment, and besides the car needs cleaned!

Adam - sorry mate, no trade-ins :p I need cold hard cash to cover the next purchase. Hows the Gsi going anyhow

Gaz

Adam

RMS Regular
GSI is probably in the best condition its been in since new. Ive spent loads on it in the last year basically changing all the old parts.
You know you want it! ;)

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
lol once upon a time I would have been mad about GSi Astras but I've got something a wee bit quicker in mind ;) you shouldn't have much prob selling her anyway

Gaz

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Leave it with me, I might know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy! I'll pm you when I find out

Gaz

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.